JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung 4K HDTV HDR not working with Xbox One X

(Topic created: 12-08-2018 06:12 PM)
usernsZskHKxgy
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I purchased my Samsung 4K HDTV, Model #: UN65JU6700FXZA, Version: TD01 about 3 years ago. I recently got a Xbox One X so that I could play true 4k games with HDR. However the HDR won't enable on my Xbox one X. I have been through all the troubleshooting I can find and forums and done what they all said helped them but it hasn't helped me. I went to the picutre settings and set port HDMI 1 to UHD Color (which samsung states is HDR). And I have checked to make sure my Xbox one is plugged in to that port. My HDMI cord is top of the line 2.0 18gps 4K gold plated all that good stuff. I have reset my TV and hard reset my Xbox one X. And I have tried muliple games which are confirmed HDR compatible and still the HDR mode is greyed out and unclickable on my Xbox one x. I am at a lost. Could a Samsung professional please help me I will be forever grateful, thanks!

communitygreg
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I have a UN65NU8000 that won't let me use HDR on my PC HDMI 2.0 connection (outputting from a GTX 1080 Ti).  I'm going to separately post about it.  

It makes no difference to mine if you have it in game mode or not; 4-4-4 signal simply won't load ('no signal' on tv).  

0 Likes
userliKnUk5XHS
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I was having the SAME problem, on my brand new Samsung UHD 75" NU7100 with my xbox one S, i turn off the UHD Color on the HDMI that i connect to the xbox and AT LEAST now a can see un 4k video, but it has some issues in working with games on 4k resolution =/ the 4k Details menu on the xbox one S only puts with a green check on playing videos 4k, the rest are yellow warnings and some red warning :S

0 Likes
userBXWnvPArIv
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I was able to fix it by going to game mode and turning off Freesync. Looks like it only supports 1080p.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/5/25/17393702/samsung-2018-tv-freesync-support-gaming-x...

Samsung is rolling out an update for its 2018 lineup of QLED TVs that enables FreeSync, which allows for smoother gaming without screen tearing. The company talked up its partnership with Microsoft’s Xbox division during its unveiling of this year’s sets, and this is yet another feature that embraces the capabilities of the Xbox One X.

But there are some compromises that come with more fluid visuals. Samsung’s FreeSync mode only supports 1080p resolution for now, and the company notes that it might cause some random weirdness with the TV’s brightness at times. Probably still worth switching on just to see the difference it makes.

FreeSync is available on the NU8000, Q6FN, Q7FN, Q8FN, and Q9FN. Once you’ve installed the latest firmware on one of those TVs, you can find it under Game Mode in the settings menu.

0 Likes
userRG8NfBAWDg
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Long post I can elaborate more and answer questions if needed.

Hey I had a similar issue with random screen black out and failure to display 4k uhd hdr. 

My setup:

Samsung nu8k updated fw

Onkyo nr676 5.2.2 setup update fw

Xbox 1x updated 

WORKING FINAL setup

Xbx1x (HDMI v2.2 cable) -> onkyo (HDMI v2.2 cable) -> TV (HDMI input 4 arc) + Toslink audio optic cable. (Necessary for dolby/dts 5.1 TV apps ONLY! Atmos decoding requires Bitstream format) 

Atmos and 4k was not displaying correctly as one of my hdmi cables was not 2.2 compliant. drove me nuts untill I reconfigured each system and found this. I had all systems off disconnected from power for 15mins. Proceeded to config all systems below.

Xbx1x display settings config:

4k reso 60hz refresh 

Allow 50/24/4k/hdr10

Display overrides auto

Color depth 10 bit

Color space standard 

YCC 4.2.2 OFF

TV settings (Game mode OFF Hdr10 ON.) 

**TV input edit as home theater system. Only this setting will allow below config.**

Digital view/auto motion/contrast enhancer OFF 

Hdr+mode selected Gamma st.2084

With these settings you can still adjust all color settings. NO BLACKOUTS!

TV settings (Game mode ON Hdr10 ON)

**TV input edit as PC (Vital option! This will activate game mode hdr10.**

Only backlight/bright/contrast/sharpness can be calibrated. All other options cannot be adjusted. NO BLACKOUTS!

Atmos settings:

Xbx1x config - dolby app install (activate for onkyo hts FREE! do not pay if you do not use headphones)

HDMI audio Bitstream Out

Bitstream format  dolby atmos hdmi

TV settings:

Audio - toslink optic audio out (netflix/hulu/etc)

Hdmi audio format Bitstream Audio format PCM

Onkyo settings:

Xbx1x input Game mode dolby atmos.

Onkyo indicates from source 5.1.2 atmos 4k output to 5.1.2 atmos 4k

Been playing forza 4 (calibrated settings)

Gear 4 (calibrated settings) 

No blackouts and atmos works.

I discovered that on my Samsung nu8000 editing the TV source input type (home theater system or pc) will allow me to control hdr10 with game mode or not. Prior to my Xbx1x, I used the TV to stream content. Now I use Xbx1x to stream as it is my ideal setup. I am NOT running my cable box through Xbx1x. Once settings is configured, reboot xbox, onkyo, tv. Hope that helps.

techman05
Cosmic Ray
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Is there any update on this since my issue right now is with UHD turned off my xbox does 4k with all the warnings but when I connect with UHD on and all green checks my 4k connection fails (spins then shows no signal)

I'm currently using a 4k 2.0 switch with hdcp 2.2  (had a 1.4 apparently before this and had zero connection) and a 2.0 cable on the input [xbox one x]and output[from switch to samsung 6900 43 inch 4k].

I saw the mention  about gaming mode... is that the end game to try. I have multiple devices that need to run across my room and this is bugging me.

Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
userZYzVKNAcRP
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I have no updates to provide unfortunately. I'm running an X1X on an NU8000 (2.2 cable, directly wired into TV). 

Currently, I can run 4k, game mode or regular, but I am not able to get 4k UHD (4K + HDR) to work on anything. It immediately goes to black screen and eventually loses signal. I tried playing with different configurations probably more than I've actually used the xbox. I have just accepted it for what it is now. I did try the suggestions from the comment above yours (with the person using the onkyo I believe). Nothing changed. That one may have a benefit in the communication between devices using the arc input and a middleman device between the 2 systems. Maybe the onkyo in that case is able to translate the UHD mode in a way that actually works for all systems.

As far as I can figure out, 4k output with picture settings calibrated to my liking is the best I'll get. At least I still have a new 2018 TV advertised as:

120hz (mine is limited to 60hz because it's 49" which is undisclosed and only learned by doing your own discovery)

UHD (does not work)

4K (I'll give it to 'em! This one works! Batting 1 for 3 is HoF worthy right??). Should have bought the Sony X900f... Lesson learned.

0 Likes
SamsungUser234
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

After hours upon hours of meddling with my Xbox One display settings and SamsungTV settings. I did this and it finally worked:

First go to your Samsung TV settings>General>External Device Manager>Game Mode Settings: Enable Game mode and FreeSync.

Go back to External Device Manager>Input Signal Plus: Enable the HDMI port that you are using for your Xbox One X/S (i turned them all on)
Exit the Samsung TV settings.

>Go to your Xbox settings>Display & sound>Video output.
>Display: Set the resolution to 1080p at 120Hz. (You can change this later, but it needs to be set to 1080p first during the setup)
>Advanced: Go to video modes and check these boxes: 50hz, 24hz, YCC 4:2:2 & allow 4K and HDR10.

>Video fidelity & overscan: Set the display overrides to "Auto-detect (Recommended)"
& the Colour depth to the max setting possible (eg: 36 bits per pixel (12-bit)) and the Colour space to "Standard (Recommended)"
Lastly, under Setup: Go to 4K TV details and make sure all features are ticked green. (Dolby vision may appear red but thats completely fine)
Then switch the resolution on the Xbox to 4K UHD (If you so choose, you can then set it to 1440p at 120hz for HDR mode and a much better frame rate that looks great and has virtually no input lag)

I dont know if this part is necessary but it definitely helped me...
Download the "Insects" app from the Microsoft store from your Xbox home dashboard & follow the guided tour (this should only take a few short minutes)
Once the tour is complete and the insects app still open, grab your Samsung TV remote press "home" and click on the "Xbox One" app/channel. 
In the source information at the top right of screen it should now display 2 symbols: "UHD & HDR".
You will however, notice that when you close the app, the source settings WILL NOT detect UHD & HDR modes and will revert to default game mode. This is not uncommon & is completely normal.
The reason for this is that the Xbox One X and Xbox One S both display the Xbox "Home" dashboard at 720p at all times. This is so that the navigation through the Xbox Home dasboard is smooth and runs at optimal speeds.
Therefore anytime you quit out of a UHD or HDR mode supported game, the Samsung TV will revert back to regular game mode in SD.

Whenever I load up a HDR and UHD supported game (eg: Halo MCC) the source information on the TV instantly detected UHD and HDR once the game refreshed at the main menu.
Ultimately, the Xbox & Samsung TV will only display UHD and HDR modes while those games or apps support that feature, it will not display otherwise.

Hope this helps. 🙂

SamsungUser234
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

After further meddling I realised I went too complicated. Here is a quick simplified version. 

Check your Samsung TV for updates first!

(Let your TV warm up for 5 mins)

Plug your Xbox high speed HMDI into port 4 (Arc port)

Go to Input signal plus and enable hdmi port 4 (sometimes already checked by default)

then go to your Xbox and check the 4K mode box and change the display settings to 4K UHD at 60hz. 

Reboot your Xbox.

USUALLY, That’s all you have to do. The dashboard (home)  will run at 1080p but when you load a 4K movie, game or app the TV will instantly detect 4K.

If not try this:

Go back to your Xbox and firstly set the display settings to 1080p at 60hz. 

Then check these boxes:

50hz

24hz

Then enable 4kmode and then change the display settings at 4K UHD at 60hz and set the colour space to 24 pixels at 10 bit. 

( I found that is the max display setting my tv will output)

Download the insect app from the Xbox store (free) and let the demo run. It will show you on screen if 4K mode is

detected.

Thats all you need! 🙂

lastly do not use Freesync if you play online multiplayer, 4K is not supported and your frames will be worse than usual. If you want to use Freesync set the display settings to 1080p or 1440p at 120hz. ( this is the max)

for reduced input lag enable game mode on your Samsung tv and disable any and all enhancements. (Contrast enhancer, motion and judder reduction ect) 

i would recommend using either 4k mode OR HDR mode, never both at the same time, the whiter than whites and blacker than blacks seem to affect each other and reduces picture quality and seems to create a grey contrast over the picture. For select games choose either HDR mode or UHD. Some look better on the other setting.

0 Likes
userdKaWO9k1tV
Astronaut
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Hi, this is marked as a solution,however it just doesn't solve the 4K and HDR at the same time. It only solves HDR, but as soon as you turn 4K on the Tv doesn't get a signal form the Xbox

0 Likes
user6D03CDUUAm
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

It is not just an XBONE X issue, I would get the sporadic flashing black screen on and source (running through AV receiver). I ordered new one connect from Samsung and all - same issue. The screen would briefly go black and then resume as normal. I bought new certified cables etc. - same issue. Last attempt - turned off the UHD color is external device setting on Samsung TV - voila no more black flashing. As you've stated, there is no HDR features now... TV model 2017 MU8000. It is def. an HDR/HDCP handshake issue... 

0 Likes