Original topic:

Samsung 80t Buzzing Noise During Game Mode

(Topic created on: 12/18/20 4:16 PM)
userxPeWckbCNw
Astronaut
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

My TV makes an extremly annoying buzzing noise coming from the back of the tv (nothing to do with sound, it sounds electrical). This seems to happen when in Game Mode (although not exclusively, I also heard this in Movie Mode), but since I use this as a Gaming TV,  Game Mode is my top priority here.

I spent alot of time trying to diagnoise what was causing the issue and my hunch is that it may have something to do with the Dynamic Black Equalizer.

My reasoning here is that I noticed the buzzing isnt always happening...but happens alot when there are a large amount of blacks being displayed on the screen. I use an Xbox Series X and when you popup the controller settings, it puts a faded black modal on the whole screen, and then has a large gray box with options. The moment I do this I can immediately start to hear the buzzing quite loudly. Turn the popup off and buzzing stops. If I scroll through items in the Xbox dashboard, some items there is no buzzing...however once I get to an item that has many black items, the buzzing starts. I was playing Call of Duty...most of the times its fine....but go to change your weapon loadout which has a lot of deep blacks (all of a sudden the buzzing starts again).

I tried setting the Dynamic Black Equalizer from the default 2 down to 0...and it actually did help the buzzing somewhat, however it is still there (since I assume Game Mode must always be running some version of this algorithm). Also I quite like using the Dynamic Black Equalizer since its great for playing competitive games like Call of Duty so I also dont want to just turn it off, I would like for Samsung to fix this problem.

My hope with this post is to provide some information for Samsung to hopefully fix this ASAP with a firmware update.

21 Replies
userETvoIWVWIA
Astronaut
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

I just got this TV last week. As soon as i set it up, I could hear the Buzzing noise and more so in Netflix. I updated the TV firmware and it went away, but I still need to check Game Mode and other settings. It was still coming up in Ambient mode, which i dont plan on using ever really anyway, but still not great. Hopefully they fix this soon otherwise I'll be returning as well.

Samsung, I note that you listenend to the community feedback regarding the noise and the Netflix app, time to fix the remaining issues/ offer replacements to everyone???

useruqeOiBp0c5
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Same issue here. Please fix this!

userE3vfBkA2VZ
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

My most important question is: Does anyone know if this buzzing sound in game mode and in general can somehow endanger the TV or damage it if the TV is in this mode for several hours a day?

I had the same problem with this buzzing sound when I bought this TV about 3 weeks ago which had the 1304 software but not in game mode but in movie mode. Then it helped to turn off the picture clarity settings feature and that annoying noise from the back of tv just disappeared. I had no problem with the earlier software in game mode at all. Unfortunately, I did not disable the automatic software update and the TV automatically updated to version 1403 and then I noticed this sound issue in gaming mode.

I tried all the options in the TV settings so that the TV would stop squeaking but nothing helped. I have a q80t 75 inch model which is quite expensive for me and I would not like to have such problems when buying a TV for so much money. The q80t 2020 model did not come out a month ago, but almost a year ago and such problems should not occur, considering how big the samung brand is around the world and their experience in the production of televisions, I do not understand a bit because it is not only the q80t model which has all sorts of problems.

user0gKm4CkeVR
Astronaut
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Same problem with electrical buzzing in game mode. Bought TV during black friday in Sweden and although picture is really nice - the noise this thing makes during gaming is horrendous. Samsung really needs to get on this and do something...

0 Likes
SamsungTam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Thank you so much for reaching out! This forum is for the support of US products and customers. As your product is a non-US model and support for these models is very limited, please seek a support team for your area. You can do so by using this link: http://www.samsung.com/visitcountry  Thanks!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
useres668grHv6
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

I'm having the exact same issue.

I'm at California, USA and got the TV 2 days ago.

Should I return the tv?

SamsungGill
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

@useres668grHv6 Does it occur on all sources and inputs?

0 Likes
useres668grHv6
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

@SamsungGill 

Yes. I tried with xbox and nintendo switch. both on hdmi 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Also used 3 different hdmi cables.

The common pattern I've found is that whenever "game mode" is activated, the buzzing starts.

0 Likes
SamsungGill
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

@useres668grHv6 If the software is up to date and you have tried a factory reset, I would recommend exchanging the unit.

0 Likes