Original topic:

Samsung 80t Buzzing Noise During Game Mode

(Topic created on: 12/4/20 7:20 AM)
userxPeWckbCNw
Astronaut
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

My TV makes an extremly annoying buzzing noise coming from the back of the tv (nothing to do with sound, it sounds electrical). This seems to happen when in Game Mode (although not exclusively, I also heard this in Movie Mode), but since I use this as a Gaming TV,  Game Mode is my top priority here.

I spent alot of time trying to diagnoise what was causing the issue and my hunch is that it may have something to do with the Dynamic Black Equalizer.

My reasoning here is that I noticed the buzzing isnt always happening...but happens alot when there are a large amount of blacks being displayed on the screen. I use an Xbox Series X and when you popup the controller settings, it puts a faded black modal on the whole screen, and then has a large gray box with options. The moment I do this I can immediately start to hear the buzzing quite loudly. Turn the popup off and buzzing stops. If I scroll through items in the Xbox dashboard, some items there is no buzzing...however once I get to an item that has many black items, the buzzing starts. I was playing Call of Duty...most of the times its fine....but go to change your weapon loadout which has a lot of deep blacks (all of a sudden the buzzing starts again).

I tried setting the Dynamic Black Equalizer from the default 2 down to 0...and it actually did help the buzzing somewhat, however it is still there (since I assume Game Mode must always be running some version of this algorithm). Also I quite like using the Dynamic Black Equalizer since its great for playing competitive games like Call of Duty so I also dont want to just turn it off, I would like for Samsung to fix this problem.

My hope with this post is to provide some information for Samsung to hopefully fix this ASAP with a firmware update.

useres668grHv6
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

@SamsungGill 

my software version is 1403 (Q80T 75") and when I try to update, it says that it doesn't have an update for me, and I can check com samsung.com/support.

I went to the website and there is one update from february, version 1460.9

Should I download this and apply to the tv? If so, how should I do it?

I will also try a factory reset and see if it helps.

Thanks!

0 Likes
SamsungGill
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

@useres668grHv6

Absolutely!

You will need an empty USB flash drive.

Connect the USB flash drive to the computer.
Download the file from the website
Once download is complete, right click on the file and select Extract To.
Once the extraction window pops up, select the base of the USB flash drive.
Once the extraction is complete, eject the flash drive from the PC.

Plug the flash drive into the television and turn it on.
If the update does not automatically begin, navigate to the software update section on the television.

useres668grHv6
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

@SamsungGill 

the software update didn't solve the issue.

I can't find how to factory reset the tv.

I could just find options to reset settings, smart hub details, apps, and so on... nothing about an actual factory reset.

Can you point the direction for this one?

Thanks!

0 Likes
SamsungGill
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

It will likely be General>Reset, the description will show "settings will return to factory defaults".

0 Likes
useres668grHv6
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

@SamsungGill 

my bad, I was checking in support menu, instead of general.

Firmware updated and factory reset done... no luck.

I guess I will have to return this one.

Thansk for the support!

0 Likes
SamsungGill
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

@useres668grHv6 No problem at all! 

0 Likes
useruqeOiBp0c5
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

I have the same buzzing issue with the tv. It seems to have happened recently and only presents itself in game mode. How do I fix this?

0 Likes
userX5Ak28oUn3
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

I recently noticed just the same exact issue. I changed the settings in Game Mode -> Game Motion Plus Settings to Off, and this created this issue. With Game Motiin Plus Settings enabled, the buzzing in Game Mode is present.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

0 Likes
userLvo2RN2hZF
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Samsung's refusal to publicly address this issue has me thinking this is a known hardware defect that they don't want to disclose.

I've been through telephone h5ll trying to get an escalation and they continue telling me the only they can do is repair the unit, which is not acceptable for a widespread known issue on a brand new TV.

0 Likes
userLvo2RN2hZF
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

After getting through to an escalation, the only option left on the table is involving lawyers as Samsung is refusing to replace the unit or offer a refund.

0 Likes