cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Samsung EARC Q900R Swindle

Well it's been a nihhtmare of a few weeks, after years of waiting for Sonos to switch to HDMI inputs for their higher end soundbar they finally release the Sonos arc. I have already picked up the 2019 Q900R Samsung TV as I have been a loyal customer for the last couple of decades and the man in the shop assured me it is future proof for at least a few years being 8k, so the huge output seems safe with a young family to entertain. So this week I find that my almost new $$$$ tv still does not support earc despite assurances from the sales rep at the end of last year the update was guaranteed in 2019, then after being made redundant thanks to covid I find Sonos arc will only actually work for Dolby Atmos with earc (Sonos earc obviously not so catchy). So several thousand dollars later or tens of thousands over the last twenty years, I have a flagship tv that is behind every other brand in the audio department. If this promised update is not here very soon I know Samsung will lose my business for good and I am sure lots of others in the same boat will feel the same, very strange business model if it is not planned or possible. Anybody else in the same boat? Is there any concrete committed news on this subject? 

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Samsung EARC Q900R Swindle

Completely agree. I am a 2019 Q90R Qled owner.  Also bought the tv as it was promoted to be the top of the line, future proof, etc. etc. etc.  Also a sonos playbar owner that has been anxiously awaiting their updated soundbar. Finally it comes out with everything i've been hoping for and still no firmware update from Samsung or even a reply that they are working on one. This on top of the fact that you cant even use the Q90R without an external HDMI switch to solve the awful lip sync issues inherent in the tv.  (the main reason i was looking forward to the eArc sonos solution).  Terrible job by Samsung here.  They will definitely lose me as a customer if the issues are not addressed.

Highlighted
Constellation

Good day,

I've bought a qe55q90ra few weeks ago, and now I'm looking for a Sonos Arc. But now I understand that it won't support Atmos? 
In the settings on the TV there's a 'compatibility with Atmos' switch. 
So this doesn't work accordingly? And there will be lag?

Thanks

Highlighted
Asteroid

how do you have the tv hooked up currently? (what inputs do you have in the hdmi ports and what are you using for sound?)    The internal samsung apps sync fine but trying to decode any 5.1 audio from any device hooked up hdmi into the one connect you will expierence AUDIO lag. (i.e. - the audio lags the video, so any audio delay introduced only makes the problem worse.)  My only way to solve this was to get an hdmi switch box. Ridiculous for a $3000 tv at the time. I would love to use the new sonos arc via eArc to the tv as supposedly lip sync is built in to the tech. 

Highlighted
Constellation

Now I'm only using the one connect box. On it I've my PS 4, which I barely use. For  Netflix and Disney plus I'm using the Apps on the tv.

The arc will be connected to the arc HDMI port. 
So  in my case it will work as I understand?

I really think Samsung should make sure they're joining us in 2020, instead of hanging in 2018. If you can fix it with only a firmware update, then do it.

Best regards.

Highlighted
Asteroid

It will support atmos from DD+ which Netflix uses, so I can get atmos for that. However the other native apps currently don't support atmos (another area Samsung is behind the times on), it won't translate the Dolby Mat like LG tv's can so it also won't pass DD+ through apple tv etc. For me the worst part is it wont pass anything from my xbox one x atmos wise due to the lack of EARC, so doesn't work for games or UHD's, not very impressive for what was the companies flagship 8k model until recently, whilst a mid range LG can do all of the above and has had earc for a couple of years. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

I am just shocked. I was advised my the local bestbuy Samsung rep that earc update is coming in late 2019 and hence I ordered in December 2019 my Q900R 75 inch 8k tv and now I want to order Sonos arc but cannot use ?  Samsung pls I

honor your commitment and update. Come on this is your flagship tv 8k we are talking !!,,

Highlighted
Asteroid

So i take it that the samsung  qn65q900rbfx2a does not support earc???  I just bought a samsung q90r soundbar and updated to the latest firmware that says it supports earc but my tv ( qn65q900rbfx2a) does not??? I have the hdmi cable pluged into my my soundbars hdmi arc port and the other end pluged into hdmi3 (arc) on the one connect box. My one connect box is model number soc1005r and on my soundbars display it says i have an arc connection. How di i get it to say earc?? Or is it impossable because my one connect box needs updated or tv firmware??. I'm confused. Will my setup get earc or not and if not will there be a fix for it soon??? If not..., im about to send about $6000 worth of samsung prroducts back to them

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Supposedly the eARC update for the Q90 TVs has been coming since last August.  They delivered on the Q90 soundbar back in May, because they needed to ensure that LG OLED owners got the best quality experience.  As for us Q90 owners.....

Highlighted
Asteroid

I'm in the same boat as everyone, Q90r 65 , ps4 pro , Apple TV 4K , cable tv box, Sonos arc , gen 3 sub and 2x play one. 

I can confirm I do get Dolby atmos from the Netflix app within the tv, however I can't get atmos from my Apple TV. 

my Sonos app shows the Dolby atmos sign and the Netflix displays the audio icon. I haven't noticed any lip sync problems however I do understand this is a compressed version of atmos. 

aka it's not true atmos, and for me that's just doesn't cut it. 

there is a petition online that 4500 people have signed about this exact topic. Google it and you'll find it, sign it and let's get noticed !!!