cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
userGloaf4a1vh
Asteroid

Samsung Q900 8k TV keeps loosing HDIM ARC and optical connections to Samsung HW-Q80R soundbar

I just purchased a Samsung 65" Q900 8k QLED TV and a Samsung HW-Q80R soundbar.  The problem is the TV keeps losing the connection to the soundbar, when connected by either ARC HDMI (with HDMI cord that came with the soundbar) or optical.  Usually when the TV first turns on it reverts to "TV speaker".

When connected optically, after a while (minutes), it will recognize the sound bar, then drop it again, and so on.  Sometimes sound comes out of both TV speakers and soundbar producing an echo effect.

When connected via HDMI ARC to both TV and soundbar, again, TV usually coms on with "TV speakers".  Sometimes the soundbar shows up as an audio option and sometimes it doesn't (when missing, only "TV speakers" and "optical" show up, but there is no optical connection.  Sometimes it shows as connected to the sound bar but no sound comes out of either TV or soundbar.  Sometimes the sound bar works just fine.

I've spent literally hours on the phone with Samsung support.  Cycled power on TV and soundbar countless times, reset TV and soundbar countless times, updated to most recently available firmware for both, and the problems still persist.

I actually exchanged the sound bar for a new one hoping the problem was located there, but no, problem still exists.

Samsung repair coming out next week to look at the TV, but my bet is this is a firmware/interaction issue between the TV and soundbar and not a hardware problem.  VERY FRUSTRTING to plop down big $ for near top of the line Samsung gear and find you've acquired beta test gear.  Samsung, please get these things into your test lab, figure out the problems, and issue a fix.

The TV is still in the window where I can return it to the store.  If the Samsung repair folks can't fix it, I'll take it in for another, though don't expect that will resolve issue either.

7 REPLIES 7
userGloaf4a1vh
Asteroid

Re: Samsung Q900 8k TV keeps loosing HDIM ARC and optical connections to Samsung HW-Q80R soundbar

Samsung service came to the house.  They tried lots of things, including a new one-connect box and a new HDMI cable.  The problem came and went as is its intermittent nature while they tried various things with their Samsung technical support channel - basically all the same things that I had done before on the phone with Samsung support myself.  The TV and sound bar were connected and working when the technician decided it was time to leave.  When I asked what the problem was and how they fixed it they weren't sure, but said if it happens again to call Samsung support.

The TV worked correctly with the sound bar for 3 days, and has now reverted to screwy behavior (e.g., sound bar shows "TV ARC", but TV shows "TV speakers", sound is coming from the TV speakers, and the sound bar isn't listed as an option for sound output).

So far the problem has appeared across two different sound bars, two different one connect boxes, and three HDMI cables.  It has worked with all three, and failed with all three.

Called Samsung support and they're sending a technician out again.  This time they said it may be a problem in the main PCB board in the monitor rather than in the one connect box.  Fingers crossed.

userGloaf4a1vh
Asteroid

Re: Samsung Q900 8k TV keeps loosing HDIM ARC and optical connections to Samsung HW-Q80R soundbar

So, Samsung was going to send the authorized repair agent that came last time out again.  I recieved a call from Samsung support today saying the agent had "declined" the job citing "insufficient technical expertise" (?!!)

The backup plan now is to exchange the TV for the same model from the store I bought it from.  Samsung is arranging that  with the store, and the store will reach out to me after that to arrange the exchange.  I asked what happens if the problem remains with the new TV (as I'm starting to doubt now it will be fixed based on feedback here) and the agent said, basically, we'll cross that bridge if we get to it.  Fair enough.

userGloaf4a1vh
Asteroid

Went to the store to set up exchange.  Had long discussion with them.  Even they can't get HDMI ARC working with their Samsung Q900 display models and Samsung sound bars either.  Clearly Samsung has dropped the ball on HDMI ARC, even amont exclusively Samsung equipment.  Decided to return everything and go with a different Mfgr.  This has cost Samsung 2 $1,500 soundbars, a $5,000 TV, a service call, and a once loyal Samsung customer because they won't or can't address the problem.  Icing on the cake is Samsung customer support, during the 5 hrs I spend on the phone with them, never acknowledged the problem.  If you want the TV alone, it is fine, but with a sound bar, or something requiring HDMI ARC, shop elsewhere.  Some business model ......

effadj
Cosmic Ray

I believe it's an issue with both the Q80R and Q90R soundbars.  ARC problems communicating with the TV.  There a lot of people mentioning this including me on other posts.  Not acceptable for a $1,500 soundbar!  You can't even select the input port via a harmony universal remote and hub.   Harmony stated that Samsung does not allow that control.   Just round-robin input selection.  

@userGloaf4a1vh wrote:

I just purchased a Samsung 65" Q900 8k QLED TV and a Samsung HW-Q80R soundbar.  The problem is the TV keeps losing the connection to the soundbar, when connected by either ARC HDMI (with HDMI cord that came with the soundbar) or optical.  Usually when the TV first turns on it reverts to "TV speaker".

When connected optically, after a while (minutes), it will recognize the sound bar, then drop it again, and so on.  Sometimes sound comes out of both TV speakers and soundbar producing an echo effect.

When connected via HDMI ARC to both TV and soundbar, again, TV usually coms on with "TV speakers".  Sometimes the soundbar shows up as an audio option and sometimes it doesn't (when missing, only "TV speakers" and "optical" show up, but there is no optical connection.  Sometimes it shows as connected to the sound bar but no sound comes out of either TV or soundbar.  Sometimes the sound bar works just fine.

I've spent literally hours on the phone with Samsung support.  Cycled power on TV and soundbar countless times, reset TV and soundbar countless times, updated to most recently available firmware for both, and the problems still persist.

I actually exchanged the sound bar for a new one hoping the problem was located there, but no, problem still exists.

Samsung repair coming out next week to look at the TV, but my bet is this is a firmware/interaction issue between the TV and soundbar and not a hardware problem.  VERY FRUSTRTING to plop down big $ for near top of the line Samsung gear and find you've acquired beta test gear.  Samsung, please get these things into your test lab, figure out the problems, and issue a fix.

The TV is still in the window where I can return it to the store.  If the Samsung repair folks can't fix it, I'll take it in for another, though don't expect that will resolve issue either.

iearlegerard
Asteroid

I am having very similar problems with a 2016 UHD set and the "TV Mate" soundbar. I really hope Samsung gets their HDMI-ARC act together..! These ongoing problems are seriously making me thinking of switching to LG...

userpMv1RTBZ3O
Asteroid

I have a QN65Q90R and attempted to connect a Yamaha YAS-109 soundbar via the HDMI ARC ports on both with no luck. The TV kept showing HDMI 3 unknown. I unplugged the power on both, the soundbar from HDMI 3 ARC and the cable box from HDMI 1 and started from scratch. I powered everything up then connected the soundbar to the TV and lo and behold on my sources bar the TV automatically showed YAS-109 in HDMI 3. So I thought I was good to go and enjoyed listening to music on YouTube and Spotify for a few hours. Now I wanted to watch network TV so I plugged the cable box into the HDMI 1 port and the blue screen came up showing a new device was detected. I went through the prompts and completed the setup of my cable box. But this is when things fell apart, my soundbar was once again not recognized in HDMI 3 and the connection was lost.  I could plug in and play either the soundbar or the TV cable box one at a time, but not both together. I called Samsung and the rep was familiar with the problem right away and admitted he had received other calls about this issue and an update was being worked on. So that's where I am now, using a finicky Optical Cable that sounds ok but the TV speakers remain on and the one touch remote will not turn the volume all the way down and I have to use the Yamaha remote to do so.

userncBeEe0Tin
Constellation

I am running into the same issues with a Sonos Beam connected via the ARC connection on a Q900R.  It randomly will drop audio and then come back at some point in the future.  Sonos support has a debug showing that the Beam is not receiving audio during this time. 

I will be contacting Samsung support but it appears based on other posts to be a firmware issue and not hardware related.

I have a Q80 also connected via the ARC connection to another Sonos Beam with no issues.  I am running the latest firmware on both.

It is concerning that a firmware has not been released to address the issue.