cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Asteroid

Samsung Q90T Auto-Dim after 6 Minutes

Hi All,

I've come across a distressing bug with my new 65" Q90T.  When watching content on Amazon Prime, any other streaming service, or even movies off of a USB drive, the image inexplicably dims after exactly 6 minutes of viewing.  It is not a minor automatic adjustment, it drops by like 40-50% and stays down.  I find that if I go into the expert picture settings menu, and adjust Local Dimming to Low, then back to Standard, the brightness goes back to where it was.  But then, 6 minutes later, it dims again.  Doesn't matter which Picture Mode I am in.

UPDATE Nov 24th:  I believe I've figured out what causes this bug to come and go.  It seems that playing video games (which automatically enables Game Mode) and then turning the games off (which automatically disables Game Mode) will toggle this bug on and off for Movie modes.

I made a Youtube video about it here:  https://youtu.be/b3j9AqA0048

I have Intelligent Mode turned off, and I have all of the Eco settings disabled.  There should be nothing making automatic adjustments to the picture.  

I called Samsung Support with this issue last week, and the only thing they could think to suggest was running a Factory Reset on the TV.  I did this, and re-set up all of my apps and info, and surprisingly the issue did seem to be fixed!  The only difference was that the TV's menus now seem a little laggier, which is weird.  But either way now, a few days later, the auto-dimming has come back.

Part of me thinks the issue is tied somehow to Game Mode.  I have a PS5 and was playing it over the weekend, and Game Mode would automatically enable when it was on / disable when it was off as it should.  But I feel perhaps switching between content like that, then coming back to streaming video using the TV apps, is somehow queueing a strange glitch in the Local Dimming.  I've read that there used to be a bug in which the screen would dim while in Game Mode, as if on a timer.  Apparently, Samsung put out a firmware update that fixed this - but perhaps in doing so they somehow migrated the issue to Movie Mode?  I don't know just throwing ideas at the wall here.

Has anyone else encountered this?  Is there a fix?  It would be wonderful if Samsung acknowledged this issue and was working on another firmware update - any reassurance that I'm not stuck with this permanently would be a major relief.  Honestly if I have to do a Factory Reset every time I want to watch Netflix.. I'd need to return the TV for sure.   

Apologies for thumbnail / video quality, had nothing to shoot with but my cellphone so the dimming I am discussing is not as apparent as it could be.Been loo...
4 REPLIES 4
Constellation

Re: Samsung Q90T Auto-Dim after 6 Minutes

Yeah mine is dimming on its own also. No game mode, no eco....I'll have to change the settings to low then back to high to get it bright again...doesn't last though. I've also done a factory reset...didn't work 

@user8ASuhgrmmg wrote:

Hi All,

I've come across a distressing bug with my new 65" Q90T.  When watching content on Amazon Prime, any other streaming service, or even movies off of a USB drive, the image inexplicably dims after exactly 6 minutes of viewing.  It is not a minor automatic adjustment, it drops by like 40-50% and stays down.  I find that if I go into the expert picture settings menu, and adjust Local Dimming to Low, then back to Standard, the brightness goes back to where it was.  But then, 6 minutes later, it dims again.  Doesn't matter which Picture Mode I am in.

UPDATE Nov 24th:  I believe I've figured out what causes this bug to come and go.  It seems that playing video games (which automatically enables Game Mode) and then turning the games off (which automatically disables Game Mode) will toggle this bug on and off for Movie modes.

I made a Youtube video about it here:  https://youtu.be/b3j9AqA0048

I have Intelligent Mode turned off, and I have all of the Eco settings disabled.  There should be nothing making automatic adjustments to the picture.  

I called Samsung Support with this issue last week, and the only thing they could think to suggest was running a Factory Reset on the TV.  I did this, and re-set up all of my apps and info, and surprisingly the issue did seem to be fixed!  The only difference was that the TV's menus now seem a little laggier, which is weird.  But either way now, a few days later, the auto-dimming has come back.

Part of me thinks the issue is tied somehow to Game Mode.  I have a PS5 and was playing it over the weekend, and Game Mode would automatically enable when it was on / disable when it was off as it should.  But I feel perhaps switching between content like that, then coming back to streaming video using the TV apps, is somehow queueing a strange glitch in the Local Dimming.  I've read that there used to be a bug in which the screen would dim while in Game Mode, as if on a timer.  Apparently, Samsung put out a firmware update that fixed this - but perhaps in doing so they somehow migrated the issue to Movie Mode?  I don't know just throwing ideas at the wall here.

Has anyone else encountered this?  Is there a fix?  It would be wonderful if Samsung acknowledged this issue and was working on another firmware update - any reassurance that I'm not stuck with this permanently would be a major relief.  Honestly if I have to do a Factory Reset every time I want to watch Netflix.. I'd need to return the TV for sure.   

Asteroid

Did you just get the TV, or have you had it for a while and this issue only just started happening?  Apparently there was a new update yesterday, and I'm not sure whether my TV has received it or not... but it has started to dim in Game Mode as well.  Unbelievable.

Constellation

New tv. Coming out of hdr games, I can see the backlight or whatever pulsating or flickering behind grey areas...weird. Also witcher 3 subtitles will either be bright or dim
Asteroid

Yes subtitles making the image brighten / dim as they come and go is something I've been dealing with too.  I haven't seen the pulsation thing though!