cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constellation

Samsung TV - Dark left side (LED failure)

This leaves a bad taste in my mouth about Samsung and all their products now. 
I have a 55" 4K Led Tv I purchased at the beginning of January 2019. The other day I turned it on and saw a dark shadow in the middle of the screen. At first I thought it was just a reflection, but the area continued to get darker until the complete left side was dark. After reading reviews for these TVs it seems as though this is a common issue with the edge-lit LED strips at the bottom. I called customer service to see if there was any help. They had me run all the same picture tests. Realizing it was not any connected device they told me the device needed a technician to repair. No authorized Samsung repair in Chicago. She told me to just find a TV technician. What!? I spent a good amount of money on this tv, less than two years ago and I need to find a technician? 

From all the reviews a lot of people were saying the cost to repair with a technician was almost worth just buying a new tv. No flipping way!

After a few solid YouTube videos I ordered the LED strips, took the tv apart and ended up repairing it myself. 

I'm no technician, just a girl with will and determination. 

when I opened up the tv and got to the filters, I was shocked to see the filters were burnt and warped from what looks like was the plastic laying on the LED bulbs. Some of the LED bulbs were fried! 

Samsung, you need to do better. These issues are obviously design flaws that can do some serious damage to people's homes

Fried LED stripsFried LED strips

Burned filter that laid on LED bulbsBurned filter that laid on LED bulbs

A3749D6B-59E1-4B01-91D9-C1DEC3CF7F6D.jpeg

2 REPLIES 2
Constellation

Re: Samsung TV - Dark left side (LED failure)

If I may ask, where did you get the led strip? It appears I may have the exact same problem and will need these to replace the burned out leds on my set.

Constellation

Re: Samsung TV - Dark left side (LED failure)

I got the parts from shopjimmy.com. Hopefully this is allowed to share, but Samsung is not much help when it comes to repairs.

Please confirm your model number and the style of LEDs. Some are edge lit along the bottom, some are back lit, with multiple running behind the screen. Once I had the correct model and part I was able to find it pretty easy on their site.