cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Screen goes black after a minute or so after turn on - can still see menus

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This only started recently on a several year old UN55JU7100.  When I turn on the TV, screen comes on and all is fine for approx. one minute and then screen goes black and audio (via optical out) stops.  If I pres Source on the remote, it comes up showing the options with the port for my cable box showing checked.  If I do nothing, the menu goes away and screen is still vblank w/ no audio.  If I hit "enter", then screen and audio come back and problem does not recur until after next time turning it on.

Firmware is current, network is connected WiFi, I have "reset" multiple times to no avail.  I have turned off "Instant On" - still no joy.  Unplugged TV and plugged back in - no joy.

I saw another thread (search here is worthless, btw) that had one post suggesting an issue with the "Extras" settings which I have never used but now when I try to access, I get a message that this feature was discontinued 3/31/2020.  Oddly (or not) I think that is about the time I began having this problem.

4k Smart TV's are so cheap these days, if I can't find a reasonable remedy, this will be replaced and then used for target practice.  Save a TV and get me a solution, please.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Screen goes black after a minute or so after turn on - can still see menus

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If the TV has no picture with the One Connect Box, try the following:

Check the One Connect cable for damage and solid connection
Disconnect and firmly reconnect the One Connect cable at both ends. (Some models call this the Invisible Cable.) 

Note: If the One Connect cable is bent, broken, kinked, pinched, or has a heavy object on top of it, it can cause an issue. The cable needs to be replaced if damaged.

Disconnect the One Connect Box to see if the TV displays an error message.
Note: If your TV does not have a power cord directly to the wall outlet, skip this step.

Disconnect the One Connect Box (either by disconnecting its power cord, or the One Connect cable).

If you see anything (like a message or picture) on the TV after disconnecting the One Connect Box, the One Connect Box needs to be replaced.

If the TV is plugged into a wall outlet, turned on, and disconnected from the One Connect Box, but no message appears, visit our Support Center to request service.

Press the Home (Menu) button on the remote.

Confirm the TV is set to the same source as the external device.
For instance, if your cable box is connected to HDMI 1, set the TV source to HDMI 1.

If the TV is set to the correct source, but there is still no image, unplug and reconnect the AV connections one cable at a time, from both ends of each cable. If there's any damage to the cable, it will need to be replaced.

After you've reconnected the external device, turn it off and then back on

Test the HDMI cable.

To perform the test, make sure the TV's source is still on the HDMI setting for the cable you want to test, and then navigate to Settings > Support > Self Diagnosis > Signal Information > HDMI Cable Test > Start Test.

If the test says the cable is bad, replace the cable

Test different external devices.

The final thing to rule out is the external device you're using. Try connecting a different device, or using a different source port. If you were unable to test the cable in the previous step, then try swapping the cable, too.

If the TV can display a picture in any other setup, then you've ruled the TV out as the cause of the issue. Keep trying various setups until you identify the device or cable that is not working, and troubleshoot or replace it.

If there is still no picture, use the following link to find a list of service centers near that can do the in/out of warranty repair. http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/location

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If the TV has no picture with the One Connect Box, try the following:

Check the One Connect cable for damage and solid connection
Disconnect and firmly reconnect the One Connect cable at both ends. (Some models call this the Invisible Cable.) 

Note: If the One Connect cable is bent, broken, kinked, pinched, or has a heavy object on top of it, it can cause an issue. The cable needs to be replaced if damaged.

Disconnect the One Connect Box to see if the TV displays an error message.
Note: If your TV does not have a power cord directly to the wall outlet, skip this step.

Disconnect the One Connect Box (either by disconnecting its power cord, or the One Connect cable).

If you see anything (like a message or picture) on the TV after disconnecting the One Connect Box, the One Connect Box needs to be replaced.

If the TV is plugged into a wall outlet, turned on, and disconnected from the One Connect Box, but no message appears, visit our Support Center to request service.

Press the Home (Menu) button on the remote.

Confirm the TV is set to the same source as the external device.
For instance, if your cable box is connected to HDMI 1, set the TV source to HDMI 1.

If the TV is set to the correct source, but there is still no image, unplug and reconnect the AV connections one cable at a time, from both ends of each cable. If there's any damage to the cable, it will need to be replaced.

After you've reconnected the external device, turn it off and then back on

Test the HDMI cable.

To perform the test, make sure the TV's source is still on the HDMI setting for the cable you want to test, and then navigate to Settings > Support > Self Diagnosis > Signal Information > HDMI Cable Test > Start Test.

If the test says the cable is bad, replace the cable

Test different external devices.

The final thing to rule out is the external device you're using. Try connecting a different device, or using a different source port. If you were unable to test the cable in the previous step, then try swapping the cable, too.

If the TV can display a picture in any other setup, then you've ruled the TV out as the cause of the issue. Keep trying various setups until you identify the device or cable that is not working, and troubleshoot or replace it.

If there is still no picture, use the following link to find a list of service centers near that can do the in/out of warranty repair. http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/location

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

First, this IS a TV with a One Connect box.  Model # is in original message.  Please provide steps for it.

Fairly sure this is a recent software issue -- not a hardware issue.  Why?  Because:

The cable box does NOT go off at all during this issue. 

This happens whether the TV is "cold" when started or if it is turned off, pause a few minutes, and then turned on "hot".

Everything is fine for approx. one minute EVERY time.  Screen will remain blank until I take TV menu action (I have been pressing Source - which brings up screen showing that the CORRECT port IS selected).

When I the press Enter, TV screen and optical out sound return to normal and continue that way for as long as the TV remains on -- even all day, so does not seem to be a thermal issue.

It is simply not possible that that kind of behavior is attributable to a bad cable, a bad cable box, or anything external to the TV.  Since it happenes when TV was cold or hot when it turns on, it is extremely unlikely that this is a circuit board component failure -- intermittant or otherwise.

I have run full diagnostics from the TV menu - no issues identified.

I really believe this was coincident with the recent termination of the "Extras" feature although I never used it.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Solved it.  Bought a S O N Y.