Original topic:

Smart app sound won't play through receiver

(Topic created: 04-12-2021 11:31 AM)
alternapop
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

TV is a QN65Q70RAFXZA with the latest firmware

I have my tv connected to an Onkyo AV Receiver and a cable box connected to my Receiver. The Receiver is connected to the tv via the HDMI 4 port. I also have an optical cable connected from the tv to my Receiver. I think usually I have it configured to use ARC through the HDMI 4 connection.

Sound for cable always works.

Sound for smart apps, run from the tv itself, usually works. If I use my tv remote, and select something like Netflix, YouTube, or HBO Max, the system does its magic and sound for the selected app works and comes out the Receiver.

Occasionally, like once every 6 months, sound for smart apps just stops working. I do nothing different that causes this. If I go to Settings > Audio, it'll initially show these options:

TV, Receiver, Optical, Bluetooth

But the 'Receiver' option disappears within a second and won't reappear until some unknown time later. (Next day?) I can't select it.

If I select 'tv' sound works but it's coming out of the tv.  If I select 'optical' sound fails for apps. When I select an app, sound continues to come from the cable box.

Usually I do nothing and it'll just start working the next day.

However this time it hasn't worked for over a month. I've tried going back through configuring and just can't get it to work the way it used to.

What's causing this?

10 Replies
Solution
alternapop
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

I played with changing various settings, seeing if they worked, then reverting them.

I tried (again) unplugging the hdmi cable from the back of the tv, counting to 30, and then plugging it in again.

The tv then popped up a message that it saw the receiver and auto switched to that as the audio device. Smart app sound is now working!

I know I tried that weeks ago and it didn't work. Perhaps I waiting a tad longer this time but it's stupid. Glad it's working now at least... for the next 6 months.

0 Likes
Rim140
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

Have similar issues.

Basically ARC (and eARC to some degree) is highly temperamental and still not ready for prime time. When it works, it's beautiful. But they stumble from time to time.

Solution is unplugging and re-plugging HDMI. Sometimes power cable to AVR.

0 Likes
alternapop
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

This happened again just this week. I tried unplugging the hdmi cable multiple times and it didn't fix it. The tv simply just wouldn't stick on the receiver audio setting. And it wanted me to go through the configuration settings again, which didn't help.

I tried changing a couple times, one of which was toggling Anynet+ off an on, and that may have fixed it. At least for today.

0 Likes
userRIi4hvOzRP
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame

I’m having the same issue.... TV smart apps have been playing through receiver since initial setup until yesterday.  Tv still finds things connected to receiver - eg, Apple TV - but no longer plays sound from Smart TV apps through receiver and connected speakers

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
QLED and The Frame

I am sorry to hear about this. Could you please provide the model number for the television?

0 Likes
alternapop
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

The model number for mine is listed in the first message, QN65Q70RAFXZA.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
QLED and The Frame

Are you connected via HDMI, Bluetooth, or Optical cable? Have you checked to make certain the External Audio is selected for the speaker output?

0 Likes
alternapop
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

All of those questions are answered in my first post.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
QLED and The Frame

Have you reset the audio under the Sound Expert settings, or tries resetting the Smart Hub?

0 Likes