Original topic:

Popping sounds while watching TV

(Topic created: 04-22-2018 01:44 PM)
userOdlGBSH4ck
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Hello, 

I recently purchased a Samsung - 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) - LED - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV, and now that I have had it a few days, I am noticing that the sound pops every couple minutes or so. It makes no difference weather the volume is higher or lower it still pops, but the intensity of the pop does change with the volume. (Quiet pop/crackle when on a lower volume)  is there anyone who could give me advice on what to do, or maybe someone has had the same problem and has solved it? 

257 Replies
jordansinko
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Yeah I am having the same issue with my 10 day old NU8000. This happens with all sounds muted and only if I am using one of the HDMI cable outputs. It seems if I am in an app like Netflix, the popping goes away. 

Edit* Just happened sitting in the Netflx menu. Will probabably just return it, which is a bummer.

0 Likes
hillsmi
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I have the 65" 8000 series, using the supplied Samsung HDMI cable from the Dish Hopper to the SmartConnect hub, to the television (also have a DVD player, and another STB connected via HDMIs to the SmartConnect hub) for about 5 months now.  Running sound just out of the television speakers (no sound bar or audio equipment).  After some reading, and a very cheap purchase, I seem to have resolved my issue...

I am not interested in replacing the set, as the picture is very impressive, and honestly do not want to go through the hassle of taking it off the wall and going through the painful RMA process of having service done, only for Samsung to tell me that nothing is wrong.

Like others, I started to notice a single pop, followed by an immediate decrease in volume, as if the volume was decreased by one notch or number on the volume scale.  It would happen very randomly, and maybe 2-5 times in the span of an hour, or less, but not all day or night long; sometimes it may go a day or two or three without this annoying issue.  Other times, it may happen two or three days in a row, but not rather constant, like some of these posts may indicate, or may be perceived to be happening constantly).  I would rate my frequency of happening as rare, to mildly occasional.  It would happen on varying channels pushed to the television from the Hopper, and during both broadcast, and commercials.  I DID NOT test to see if this issue was present while watching a DVD.

1.  I did the suggested diagnostic speaker test, which proved nothing.

2.  I checked to make sure the firmware was UTD.

3.  I did not do a factory reset of the set, as I did not want to reset all custom settings, and go through the install of attached peripherals.

I started some online research, and came across a suggestion to upgrade my HDMI cable.  After some reading / reviews and suggestions, I selected this one, to swap out the supplied Samsung HDMI cable - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GCGKBWC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This cable is supposed to be able to support the latest and greatest for these newer 4K / HDR sets.

The new cable has been currently in place for just over 24hrs, and I have not noticed the aforementioned pop, followed by a decrease in volume.  The new cable is also shorter (3ft, as opposed to the Samsung supplied 6ft).

The Monoprice HDMI cable I purchased was highly rated across multiple sites, and is not terribly expensive.  I will update my post if the cable replacement did not seem to resolve the issue, but as of this writing, my set is 'pop-free.'  Hope this helps any with the same issue.

0 Likes
userh5v0A4Ecge
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Any update?

0 Likes
hillsmi
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Still no popping.  Appears GTG.  I feel that upgrading the HDMI cable to a newer, high-speed 4K cable is the resolution, at least for me.

0 Likes
jordansinko
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I am not sure if my popping noise was different than others. Mine happened when I had all sound muted, almost like the capacitors were bad. I ended up returning it for the same model and all is fine so far. I haven't upgraded my firmware for fear it was that. 

0 Likes
userQN8m0UAP6R
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I did a firmware update and swapped out my HD I cable.  So far, so Good!

0 Likes
timstack
Galaxy
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I'm still having the pop with Vizio sound bar. I am using a 4k HDM cable. I think it has something to do with having Bitstream setting on using Dolby Digital settings with Samsung TV. When I watch movies with PS3 I'm not using Bitstream setting with PS3 and get no pops at all. 

0 Likes
timstack
Galaxy
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Still having this issue. TV audio settings set to Bitstream and Dolby Digital with 4251 Vizio sound bar using TiVo Bolt.

0 Likes
jordansinko
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

The new TV is doing the same noise 😞 What is going on Samsung? This is two BRAND NEW 2018 TVS!

0 Likes
hillsmi
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Now going on two weeks since an HDMI cable upgrade, with no popping.

For those of you still experiencing, take a chance, and upgrade your HDMI cable to the one I referenced back on the previous page, or a similar one that is 4K / high-speed compatible.  My issue has seemed to resolved by swapping out the supplied HDMI cable that came with the set.

0 Likes