Original topic:

Popping sounds while watching TV

(Topic created: 05-23-2018 07:58 AM)
userOdlGBSH4ck
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Hello, 

I recently purchased a Samsung - 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) - LED - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV, and now that I have had it a few days, I am noticing that the sound pops every couple minutes or so. It makes no difference weather the volume is higher or lower it still pops, but the intensity of the pop does change with the volume. (Quiet pop/crackle when on a lower volume)  is there anyone who could give me advice on what to do, or maybe someone has had the same problem and has solved it? 

257 Replies
uservXrCYaqQ0d
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I switched to PCM and the volume got so much better. We were turning the volume almost all the way. I believe this is a real issue, as the popping was also happening when I used my Receiver. We will see, but love the higher volume 

0 Likes
userw24iQ7uX6r
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I have.. it does not pop when using DTS NEO 2:5

@Kelly_A wrote:

Has anyone tried disabling Dolby Digital to see if it resolved the issue?

0 Likes
userw24iQ7uX6r
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs
yes the DTS solves the problem. but DTS 2;5 is not discrete. it is like pro logic--creating 2 surround channels from one signal and not 20-20k. but it is good enough and solves the popping problem
0 Likes
timstack
Galaxy
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Mod's, Still having issue with pop sound thru Vizio sound bar. Happens now  at least once day then goes away. Had tech out a few months and said nothing was wrong with TV. Is Samsung aware of this issue?

0 Likes
userQkicrpttIR
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Did anyone get to the bottom of this, or have Samsung made an official comment regarding the popping fault? I have been looking for a solution for some time and this thread is the first significant find where there seems to be many people with the issue.

I am a UK customer and I have had this popping issue since getting the TV about 10 months ago.

To clarify, my TV is NOT the Q7 that this thread is referencing but the previous year's model. The KS7500 (or KS8500 as it is known in the US).

I currently have a 3rd panel replacement booked for another issue. 

As for the popping I previously had the TV's mainboard replaced. This did not resolve the popping.

Engineer suggested it may be the One Connect box or cable at fault, so they are going to try and do something with that. Something was mentioned about replacing the One Connect box PCB if they can not get an outright box replacement.

I'll post back next week once I know if it's worked or not.

The original TV did not have this popping fault. Unfortunately the panel had some strange gunk, what looked like glue on the screen, which end up leaving a mess. In the 2 weeks I had that TV up and running before the retailer replaced it, there were definitely no popping issues with that one.

Hopefully it is One Connect related as running out of ideas for what else it could be.

0 Likes
timstack
Galaxy
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I had Samsung send me a new one connect box and still get the occasional Popping noise out of Vizio sb4251w-b4 sound bar. 

0 Likes
userQkicrpttIR
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs
Well, that's disappointing. Have you tried just using the TV speakers and confirm if the issue still persists?

I first thought it was my 5.1 receiver at fault. I removed that from the setup and used the TV speakers for months. It was still doing it but the loud pops were rarer, low-mid pops were still otherwise frequent.
I also tried a soundbar and the pops continued with this and were much louder at times too.
The only sort of pattern I notice with the popping is that I think it's coming from the TV speakers. I can hear it clearly coming from say the left side of the TV and if other pops follow I can hear the popping switch to the opposite side. That makes me assume it's the speakers and not something else popping.
I don't know if that means the speakers are faulty though. I think engineers thought it might be the sound processing, which I assumed was done on the TV mainboard, but that's been replaced and ruled out. The One Connect box/cable seems the only other candidate, which would seem logical given this box passes through the TV audio to external sound systems, and the issue seems to passthrough to those too.

0 Likes
hillsmi
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I have posted a fix that has resolved my issue over a month ago without any further unwanted 'popping' of the speakers.

People keep coming in, asking if there is a fix...some must not read all the posts.  If you care to read my earlier posts, and what has worked for me, it may work for you.

It is obvious that Samsung is not doing anything, otherwise we would probably have received a notice for repair / recall.

I did some reading, and research, and took a small leap, and have resolved the issue for my set, and am very happy with the results.

0 Likes
userQkicrpttIR
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs
Thanks for the update. I did give the thread a read over a week ago. I assume you are talking about switching the TV sound from Bitstream to PCM. If so, I have tried that already several months ago, and again recently - that did not work for me.
0 Likes
userT53tasRMW6
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

A new firmware version is in the works I am told and that it will be released in June to address the poping issue.

0 Likes