Original topic:

Popping sounds while watching TV

(Topic created: 06-03-2018 09:49 AM)
userOdlGBSH4ck
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Hello, 

I recently purchased a Samsung - 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) - LED - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV, and now that I have had it a few days, I am noticing that the sound pops every couple minutes or so. It makes no difference weather the volume is higher or lower it still pops, but the intensity of the pop does change with the volume. (Quiet pop/crackle when on a lower volume)  is there anyone who could give me advice on what to do, or maybe someone has had the same problem and has solved it? 

257 Replies
Roylund
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs
Took old HDMI cables out of loop for now leaving only high speed cables. See what happens. Pops were intermittent at irregular intervals so hard to know if problem solved. Time will tell I guess.
0 Likes
userQkicrpttIR
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Does anyone who has this issue think that the pops are coming from the speakers?

And if you have an external soundbar or 5.1 connected over HDMI ARC or Optical, do you notice any difference with the external speaker vs. just using the TV speakers?

0 Likes
timstack
Galaxy
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I get the Pops only with Vizio sound bar sb4251w-b4 using with Dolby Digital & Bitstream turned on with TV sound settings. I did try without sound bar for few days and did not get the popping noises coming out of tv speakers. I'm hearing next firmware (which should be available June 4th) will resolve the popping issue. Will see.

0 Likes
userQkicrpttIR
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Regarding June 4th fw update, do you have a link for where this information is posted? And do you know if it applies to all Samsung 4K TV's. Mine is the 2016 KS range.

Hopefully it will get it, the KS TVs did get the 1220 fw that fixed the HDR Game mode bug so they're still getting updates.

0 Likes
timstack
Galaxy
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs
0 Likes
userQkicrpttIR
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs
Thanks for the link but I can't see any mention of a fw update to address the popping. I know that you can download updates direct from the website before they go over the air, if that's what you meant.

I was asking about where you seen it mentioned that a fw update is coming for this popping issue? Have Samsung stated a fix is coming?
0 Likes
usereL8eRGE0BF
Cosmic Ray
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I see a new date for Firmware posted today with today date for 2017 TVs but not sure if this issue is fixed in today's version, anyone else tried download it and test?

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/

0 Likes
hillsmi
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Has anyone, other than about two or three of us who have actually read this thread from the beginning, actually tried upgrading their HDMI cable from their device to the set or the Hub?  Those couple of us that have done so have not experienced any speaker popping since.

Instead of continuing to rely on Samsung, take a small leap, and purchase a much more reliable HDMI cable than the cheapo one that you may have been using when you purchased your set.  These 4K / UHD sets require cables with better throughput and that can handle what it being sent to the set, than the HDMI cables of yesterday.

And those of you looking for FW updates...Samsung is beta-testing them on a few people to see, before releasing to the general public.  This was stated in an earlier post, so not sure why people keep asking for something that hasn't been fully tested yet, and not certified by Samsung for general release / OTA to sets.

Read the posts from page one, do a little research.  A lot of people are Googling Samsung tv popping, getting directed to this site, asking for help, seeing that a FW might be in the mix, and wanting instant results, and keep complaining that Samsung is at fault, and that sometimes changing a couple settings isn't arriving at a positive outcome.  Sure, Samsung is looking into it, and attempting to resolve, hopefully for those of you to impatient to try a better quality HDMI cable, which has resolved my speaker popping for almost a couple months now, WITHOUT ANY FW UPDATE, AND WITHOUT CHANGING ANY SETTINGS IN THE TV MENU.

Two of us have provided names / links to better HDMI cables.  I am not sure of the cost of the other person's, but mine was suprisingly cost-effective, and again, SOLVED MY ISSUE, which is the same as every person visiting this thread.  Upgrade the TV, upgrade the cable.

Don't buy a Ferrari, and expect BF Goodrich rubber to give you good handling results on road.

Have a nice day, and try upgrading your cable, and see if it doesn't help.

0 Likes
userQkicrpttIR
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

It's good that a new HDMI cable has solved the issue for you. 

I feel confident that by unplugging both my Xbox One X and PS4 Pro from the One Connect box, and that the popping still persists on the TV's internal apps such as YouTube, Netflix and Amazon - that the fault with the popping is not related to any HDMI cable or external device. At least not in my case.

You offer good advice - if someone finds the popping is only happening on an external device then certainly trying a replacement cable or alternative HDMI input is worth a try.

0 Likes
usereL8eRGE0BF
Cosmic Ray
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

These work great I use Forrest above that are not worth price, no jitter, judder, clouding, stripes, flickers, no sound pops, no flickers, no discoloration, no artifacts just crisp sharp image.

https://www.audioquest.com/cables/digital-cables/hdmi/pearl

if you spend $2500 on TV buy a decent hdmi cable it is like getting BMW and putting cheap low octane gas and complain about performance 

0 Likes