Original topic:

Popping sounds while watching TV

(Topic created: 11-26-2017 06:02 PM)
userOdlGBSH4ck
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Hello, 

I recently purchased a Samsung - 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) - LED - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV, and now that I have had it a few days, I am noticing that the sound pops every couple minutes or so. It makes no difference weather the volume is higher or lower it still pops, but the intensity of the pop does change with the volume. (Quiet pop/crackle when on a lower volume)  is there anyone who could give me advice on what to do, or maybe someone has had the same problem and has solved it? 

JUMP TO SOLUTION
257 Replies
MrQue
Honored Contributor
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Thanks for that info @userTZdRAirMKv. May I ask on what sources you are noticing this popping?

0 Likes
user9uWNbm26MC
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

This is happening to me too on my brand new Samsung NU8000 (49-inch).  I got it just about a week ago...updated the firmware to the current (1131.9) and I still have the slight popping/crackling noise.  I've experimented with replacing HDMI cables (buying high-end ones off amazon), different optic cables, and even just removing all the cables.  It's still there.  It definitely seems to be coming from the input panel area (where you plug in the HDMI, Optic cables, etc.).

It started happening about a few days ago, it's a slight "click" once every 15-30 seconds.  I'm very disappointed as a Samsung customer.  I've been a loyal customer for YEARS buying their TVs but this seems like such a MINOR issue, how could this be an oversight on their quality control?

Can I get some assistance?  Why is this occuring across various Samsung TV models?

I have the following:

Model: UN49NU8000
Software ver: T-KTM2AKUC-1131.9, BT-S

0 Likes
MrQue
Honored Contributor
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I would like to recommend checking out a sound test. you can get to this by going to settings>support> self-diagnosis>sound test 

0 Likes
user9uWNbm26MC
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Still occurs even during the sound test. Appreciate the advice.

I've followed a lot of the guidance on here and I'm pretty tech-savvy and as I've said before, I haven't had this issue on past Samsung TVs I've owned. Would hate to return the TV but it seems like options are getting limited unless a firmware update for the "NU-series" helps address this.

Also, I do not have Cable TV plugged in or anything. Just a Samsung soundbar, Nintendo Switch and Xbox One X. I've tried unplugging ALL devices and the cracking is still there.

I've done the following:

-Bought new Mediastream HDMI cables  specially made for 4K to replace old ones
-Replaced the Samsung Soundbar optic cable with another
-Changed sound format from "Bitstream" to "PCM" (this corrected brief silence hic-cups from Netflix)
-Taken out all cables to see if "popping" still occurred, left one HDMI cable in and optic in, left all cables out and went only via TV speakers...popping sound still there...so it's not the cables.

Best I can determine is that there is some component in the television set that is constantly "clicking"...Samsung seems to be aware of the issue, but outside of the firm-ware update of 1230 for SOME TVs, this seems to be affecting various Series of Samsung TVs.  I've read about it on several forums, etc.  I'm very disappointed in Samsung with this.

0 Likes
MrQue
Honored Contributor
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Mind shooting us a message with the serial number so we can look into servicing options?

0 Likes
usergObQG5UOR5
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Hi samsung,

my tv 2018 QLED Model QN75Q65FNF is also making popping sounds and is driving me nuts. I have unplugged all cables except power, checked sound, also changed sounds to PCM nothing works. Firmware version is 1153 and the TV is not finding any new firmware updates. Can you help? Will 1230 firmware work on this TV?

0 Likes
SamsungJam
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Could you provide the full model of the television?  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
usergObQG5UOR5
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs
QN75Q65FNFXZA - the one that is made in Mexico.
0 Likes
SamsungJam
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Is there a soundbar connected to the television?  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
usergObQG5UOR5
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

No, no external device is connected. I unplugged the Ethernet as well and turned wifi on. Still popping sound every few minutes. Interestingly popping sound comes a few times after turning the tv off as well. 

0 Likes