cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Astronaut

TURN HDR OFF

I own 4 different Samsung TVs ranging from NUs to QLEds, regardless of which, I myself find the 95% of HDR content from Netflix, Amazon Video and Disney to be completely DARK and Dimmed. 

The same content however can be seen on the same TVs with perfect quality with 4k resolution and great brightness if a Chromecast 4k or a Roku device is used to stream the content through HDMI and turning the HDMI HDR Off. ( For some  reason this does not work for Amazon Fire Stick).

The problem is that you cannot turn off HDR from the TV, but you can block it to some HDMI devices. There is NO service option, or menu option that allows you to turn this off from any Samsung TV completely. 

I have gone to Netflix, Amazon Video and Disney support and they all just send me back to my device's manufacturer. And ultimately this really falls into the whole market, TV manufacturers including Sony and LG which have the same issue. They just push users around in a loop into each other so no one is to blame when actually they all are.

If you care to look for this issue on the internet you will find there are far too many people with the same issue that is never fixed. Here's a good reddit post containing a compilation of cases throughout the world where this scam is taking place: https://www.reddit.com/r/netflix/comments/e20x20/hdr_ruins_yet_another_movie_good_job_netflix/

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV/Possible-Fix-for-Too-Dark-Netflix-Videos-on-Samsung-TVs/td-p/...

Amongst this issues you will find the following "solutions" to the problem which do NOT work:

- Turn HDR+ off/on on the Device Settings: This solution will falsely route the user to turn off "HDR" by making them go into the picture settings and turn off/on "HDR+", HDR+ is a feature on Samsung TVs to make some HDR content and other SDR media to look "better" by tuning image setting internally. Since this is just turning this additional tweaking the problem still persists.

- Tweak Device Picture Settings to increase brightness and change Gamma  (WORST "SOLUTION"): NEVER but NEVER should anyone mess with Gamma Settings, let alone increase them, the only thing this will do is max out some color values and make your image look completely ghosted, white, and wash the colors off, making people look like they are made of wax. This settings not only make the image look bad but you will have to change the settings back to their original configuration after you are done watching the HDR media since this settings will make SDR content look horrible.

- Change Netflix Quality to HD: This kind of works because Netflix does not encode videos with HDR that are lower than 4k resolution, but keep in mind you will now have a 4K TV streaming content far too small for your tv screen which make you lose a lot quality , causing the image to look very bad.

So here is a real workaround that works for 4k Resolution: Use extrenal media. (Roku, Chromecast, no other device works for me)

- Connect Roku/Chromecast to HDMI port

- On your TV Setting navigate to External Device Manager and turn off HDMI UHD Color for the HDMI Port your device is on.
- Stream media from Roku/Chromecast instead of using the TV's Applications

Now the REAL SOLUTION:

All of this nonsense could just be avoided if Samsung adds a simple option to the Device Settings to turn HDR off completely instead of forcing a feature nobody asked for on us. Since series 6/7 Tvs do not handle HDR content as well as more modern series, this is a scam from Samsung to make people thing that the image looks better on newer more expensive Tvs by knowingly making "older" model TVs image look darker.

This is how The Witcher Episode 1 looks when watched through Roku and Chromecast Ultra 4k with HDR turned off:IMG_20200502_041003.jpg

IMG_20200502_045109.jpg

And this is how it looks on the Samsung Netflix App with HDR forcefully turned ON: IMG_20200502_041122.jpg

I have been struggling wiht this for year and most of the users don't even notice until someone points it out. And THERE IS NO CONFIGURATION SETTINGS that make the HDR content look as good as the first image let alone decent, any image setting you set will make it look horrible if you manage to get the image not to look as dark, which is the SAME CONTENT but without processing HDR since it is being blocked by the HDMI UHD option being turned off. 

31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: TURN HDR OFF

Almost exactly this.

But there are two REAL solutions where we get to enjoy 4K HDR as we imagined buying these expensive screens;

When 

1.Samsung lets us buy a Dolby vision software update (one can dream)

2.Netflix/Disney supports HDR10+ 

then there's the two easier but less ideal solutions;

1. Samsung lets us turn of HDR, forcing Netflix (or Disney) to serve its 4K SDR stream. 
2. Netflix (Disney) lets us turn off HDR in the app

The situation as it is now is just mind boggling and infuriating.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

The worst part of this is that they only blame netflix or anyone else. 

Netflix also claims that they support hdr10+ but the actual content being sent is dolby vision encoded.

Highlighted
Astronaut

Hello,

I just bought a Samsung QE55Q80R TV, and I'm highly disappointed !

HDR and HDR+ contents are unwatchable...

How is it possible that Samsung sell a so called HDR capable TV which isn't capable to deliver an acceptable HDR picture ?

And it seems that almost nobody complains about it !

I even read a french test (I'm French) saying that HDR picture quality is quite good on this TV !

How is it possible ?

I think I will return my TV and buy a Sony or a Panasonic instead... 

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

To be honest I wouldnt mind if it is not the best HDR experience on the market... But making the content FAR WORSE than non-hdr is what makes this a scam....

Then theres their silence and stupid answers to these issues, blaming it on "streaming signal" coming from the content provider. This is something to sue for....

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

@userRPRFjO4BaW This forum is for the support of US products and customers. As your product is a non-US model and support for these models is very limited, please seek a support team for your area. You can do so by using this link: http://www.samsung.com/visitcountry  Thanks!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Typical of Samsung to basically say "not our problem" 

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

WHAT? !?

@SamsungAl wrote:

@userRPRFjO4BaWThis forum is for the support of US products and customers. As your product is a non-US model and support for these models is very limited, please seek a support team for your area. You can do so by using this link: http://www.samsung.com/visitcountry  Thanks!

WHAT!?

Don't you see that that user is not even the same one that created the POST!?
@SamsungAl this is competely pathetic and horrible. We are about to sue in here and your answer is to tell someone who didn't even make the post just that it isn't your problem. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

Don't you see that this is happening EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD?

HOW will that user even mark the post as Answered if they were not the one who opened it? ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?

What about me then? I have this TV with the exact same stupid issue.  

UN55RU7100FXZA ?
I also have THIS ONE UN49RU8000!
None of those will be fixed neither? THEY ARE US TVS!

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

@SamsungAl Please read tha above message. I also took a screenshot of it in case any other moderator decide to delete that comment as well.

Highlighted
Astronaut

I achieve the same what you achieve by Roku/Chromecast by linking my Win10 laptop to the TV by HDMI and stream via the Win10 Netflix app. This way you can control whether it streams in SDR or HDR because it streams in HDR only if you enable it under Win10's screen settings otherwise it streams in 4K SDR.

Of course it would be easier if HDR could be switched from the Netflix TV app.