cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Re: TURN HDR OFF

It would be great for it to be an option on the netflix app but to be honest this causes more trouble for netflix and all content providers than it would for the TV manufacturers.

Whereas content providers must deliver 3 different video content: SDR, HDR10 and Dolby Vision, times the number of hdr enabled shows. And all poviders would need to do that. That is almost unsustainable or comes at a considerable huge increase in cost of all kinds.

However, having the hdr kill switch on the actual device which is delivered straight to the consumers TVs is the most optimal solution.

Also, theres no guarantee that right now an app that is running on a TV will be able to turn off the TVs HDR off if the TV firmware does not have an option for it.

Samsung TVs use Tizen OS which does not provide a mechanism to controk HDR behavior on the device which is running it. So UNTIL Samsung is made to comply to provide such mechanism via lawsuit then this will not be possible.

Highlighted
Asteroid

All I know is that my tv is a brand new series 700 and the hdr content was great on Netflix in the morning (I was watching Ozark) but that same evening the picture was so dark, the actors' faces were completely black! All other shows were fine. Why would the same show look great and then devolve? 

What's really weird is that I'm watching Ozark on my iPad and it's dark too! I have the brightness all the way up!

Highlighted
Asteroid

Upon further reflection, the reason why season one of Ozark looked great was because I was watching it on our Samsung 4K tv! I hadn't set up our series 7 yet. This is bs that I can't watch Ozark on the new bedroom tv.

Highlighted
Constellation

Even though I watch via an AppleTV box which allows me to switch to SDR, I got fed up with switching so bought a Sony LED with lots of Nits. It fixes the problem (and is great for daytime TV without closing the curtains!)

Just be aware that it is fashionable for corny directors to always stand their actors in front of a bright light source and, indoors, to use lighting that produces pools of light and atmospheric shadows. (A bit like banal mood music!) This accentuates the problem. 

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

That means that thisbis rendering your SmartTV useless and might as well buy an older TV that support 4K but no HDR.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Morning @SamsungAl 

We are kindly waiting for your response here.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

I'm in the exact same boat, I purchased a 75" Q90 and my family and I are just in "ahh" how terrible and dark episodes are using the built in apps on the TV, so much it ruins it. A $5000 dollar TV should NEVER do this. Thank you to the original post author as I might now have to just use mu Xbox One X and manually turn HDR off. Not something anyone should have to do. The built in apps should have options to fix these issues. I'm down for a lawsuit if this isn't addressed.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

@Keltik79 wrote:

I'm in the exact same boat, I purchased a 75" Q90 and my family and I are just in "ahh" how terrible and dark episodes are using the built in apps on the TV, so much it ruins it. A $5000 dollar TV should NEVER do this. Thank you to the original post author as I might now have to just use mu Xbox One X and manually turn HDR off. Not something anyone should have to do. The built in apps should have options to fix these issues. I'm down for a lawsuit if this isn't addressed.

And they won't even have the decency to admit to their fault.
They are even trying to censor this post by deleting comments, here's the proof:
@SamsungAl tried to mark this post as resolved by telling a random user in this post that their TV is from another country, when that person was not even the one who opened this post, and completely ignored the rest of the comments. I complaint about this with the following post and they removed it by claiming I was violating the terms of the forum without providing any detail to what exactly I did. I replied back asking what was it I did so I wouldn't do it again but they never got back to me regardless of how many times I tried to reach them.

Here's the user with the same issue as the poster and all of us, along with the moderators scheme to blame the issue on another countryHere's the user with the same issue as the poster and all of us, along with the moderators scheme to blame the issue on another countryHere's my reply to @samungAl about it which was removed.Here's my reply to @samungAl about it which was removed.Here's @SamsungLou telling me that I was violating the terms with this message, which is not true, I sent them 2 messages trying to get them to explain the issue and still haven't got back from themHere's @SamsungLou telling me that I was violating the terms with this message, which is not true, I sent them 2 messages trying to get them to explain the issue and still haven't got back from them

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Also @SamsungAl and @SamsungLou I took screenshot of the above reply so you can't delete it anymore and try to hide this. I'm going to twitter if you try to do so again.
I have spent more than 4000 dollars on your products and I deserve and answer and this to be resolved. Let me turn the HDR OFF!

Highlighted
Asteroid

Just ridiculous!