Original topic:

TV sometimes changes lineup on digital antenna source

(Topic created on: 1/15/21 12:56 PM)
TolkienNut
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

I've wondered about this for a few years. It's a bit of a nuisance.

Once in a while when trying to watch TV on a digital antenna source the channel lineup changes on its own. Mostly it seems to happen when the signal for a particular set of channels is on the weak side.

For example, say channels 8-1 & 8-2 have a weak signal, as I scroll through them the channel on the screen might change to channel 13-8 & 13-9 completely on its own. Other channels do a similar thing, like 22-1, 22-2, & 22-4 may change to 11-3, 11-4, & 11-5. The signals usually remain weak and might give a distorted picture or none at all, and once in a blue moon a picture may come up from maybe the same programs or something else. These changed channels in the lineup can sometimes last a few seconds, minutes, hours, and rarely days. The channels usually restore themselves once the signal for the original channels becomes stronger again. It's rather bizarre that these channel changes can occur like this.

There is also issues with some channels that add in extra channels that I have previously deleted from the lineup. For example, channels 44-1, 44-2, & 44-3 somehow have doubles that station airs. Sometimes when scanning it picks up two different 44-1's, 44-2's, & 44-3's, as well as a 44-4. The channels air different programs from apparently the one provider. Anyway, I delete one of each of the duplicate ones and the one 44-4 because they have programs I have absolutely no interest in (generally infomercial or shopping channels, yuck). Once in a blue moon those channels sometimes put themselves back in my lineup. It doesn't appear these channels have weak signals at any time, so it doesn't seem like the other issue with channels changing numbers. These added back in channels never remove themselves from the lineup, even after several days, and I always have to go back in and delete them again.

Essentially it appears as if both of these issues may have something to do with the signals have the ability to reprogram my tv without my permission, which really should never happen. This has happened on at least a few completely different Smart TV's I've owned, so it's not like it's an isolated issue with a particular model. It seems more like a software issue that has never been resolved over the years.

Any thoughts on what the programming issue could be?

0 Likes
0 Replies