Original topic:

TV turns on by itself

(Topic created on: 3/4/21 11:35 AM)
userumpilYByy3
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

There is a thread about this but posting stops around 2020 without any resolution to the problem. I have two Samsung tvs, a QN82Q6DR and an older plasma PN63B590T6FXZA. The 82" has the same problem of turning on by itself. 

I have two problems. Both are using Xfinity with two remotes. First problem is either remote can turn on/off either tv. Second problem: the plasma which is in our bedroom turns on by itself every night at around 3:30am. Weird. The only reason I can think of is that my neighbor whose house/tv is pretty close to our house and has Xfinity cable also turns on their tv at this time. And this turns on our bedroom tv too! What to do?

5 Replies
Noellenchris
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs
Do you use Ring camera or use Alexa? My Alexa settings were set to display my Ring camera when someone rings the doorbell. I thought my dogs were turning on the TV, but with the above setting, if the TV was off it would turn on. Also the ring camera never did display even when tv was on so that's why I had no idea. Good luck.
0 Likes
userumpilYByy3
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

I don't use Ring camera or Alexa. Thanks anyway.

0 Likes
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs
Check your Xfinity cable box settings and see if it's set to update at 3:30 AM (I can't recall the setting, but it might be set to 3:00 AM to 4:00 AM). My thought is the cable box is looking for an update and causing the TV to turn on? I don't think it should do that, but it might help narrow down the source...
0 Likes
userumpilYByy3
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

The update is set from 2:00am to 4:00am. I changed it to a different time and see what happens. 

0 Likes
userumpilYByy3
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

The tv did not turn on at 3:30am after changing the update time from 2-4am to 12-2am. Did this solve the problem? If this is the problem it should turn on on the new time from 12 to 2am but it didn't.

I also changed the Anynet HDMI/CEC button from On to Off and then power off the tv for a minute.

0 Likes