cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userpJ5FYkkcce
Astronaut

The Frame TV: Can’t remove the mat on uploaded photos

We have a new (2019) Frame TV and are simply trying to have an uploaded image / piece of art extend all the way to the edge of the screen (no mat) like you can with *all* of the pre-loaded art in the Samsung library, but there’s not an option to remove the mat. Samsung support couldn’t help and said it is a design limitation. Which is really frustrating because we bought the tv with the plan to have an artist create a digital piece of art that will then extend onto the wall around the tv, mural style - much as the ads for the Frame imply you can. A mat breaks up the flow from screen to wall.

Any ideas / workarounds? (Including the possibility of getting this lovely piece of art added to the library...?)

3 REPLIES 3
uservySZTuQ5N6
Astronaut

Re: The Frame TV: Can’t remove the mat on uploaded photos

I don't know, but have the exact same frustration.  It's normal in this situation for any modern image handling software to allow fit or fill.  Of course, if you have an aspect on your image that differs from that of the TV, you may have to truncate vertically or horintally.  This is standard functionality and a bad miss from Samsung.  Hopefully when they figure this out, the fix is downloadable directly to our (expensive) TVs.  

user5qyOIPl0t2
Constellation

I found a workaround! I am able to remove the mat from my personal photos by uploading the photos via the SmartThings app. The key is to create a Modern Mat for the photo when you upload it. Then you can remove the mat after the photo is saved to the TV.

Here's the exact sequence of steps in the SmartThings app on iOS, version 1.6.37:

1. Tap "Add your photos +"
  2. Choose a photo that is at least this large: 3457px x 1780px, per Samsung's spec for photos with a Modern Mat
  3. Tap Create Mat
  4. Tap Modern Mat
  5. Tap Next
  6. Tap Save
  7. Tap Mat
  8. Choose the No Mat option 
  9. Tap Save

Hopefully Samsung can simplify this process as it's a lot of extra steps to do something simple. Good luck!

userGFv1iGmw8K
Astronaut

I didn't get the "No Mat" option -- does the image have to be the exact ratio of the screen in order for this option to show up? I've created a modern mat and set it by the rest of your instructions :/