cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Turn Off HDR completely.

I own 4 different Samsung TVs ranging from NUs to QLEds, regardless of which, I myself find the 95% of HDR content from Netflix, Amazon Video and Disney to be completely DARK and Dimmed. 

The same content however can be seen on the same TVs with perfect quality with 4k resolution and great brightness if a Chromecast 4k or a Roku device is used to stream the content through HDMI and turning the HDMI HDR Off. ( For some  reason this does not work for Amazon Fire Stick).

The problem is that you cannot turn off HDR from the TV, but you can block it to some HDMI devices. There is NO service option, or menu option that allows you to turn this off from any Samsung TV completely. 

I have gone to Netflix, Amazon Video and Disney support and they all just send me back to my device's manufacturer. And ultimately this really falls into the whole market, TV manufacturers including Sony and LG which have the same issue, and Media Streaming companies which are probably on the scam as well. They just push users around in a loop into each other so no one is to blame when actually they all are.

If you care to look for this issue on the internet you will find there are far too many people with the same issue that is never fixed. Here's a good reddit post containing a compilation of cases throughout the world where this scam is taking place: https://www.reddit.com/r/netflix/comments/e20x20/hdr_ruins_yet_another_movie_good_job_netflix/

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV/Possible-Fix-for-Too-Dark-Netflix-Videos-on-Samsung-TVs/td-p/...

Amongst this issues you will find the following "solutions" to the problem which do NOT work:

- Turn HDR+ off/on on the Device Settings: This solution will falsely route the user to turn off "HDR" by making them go into the picture settings and turn off/on "HDR+", HDR+ is a feature on Samsung TVs to make some HDR content and other SDR media to look "better" by tuning image setting internally. Since this is just turning this additional tweaking the problem still persists.

- Tweak Device Picture Settings to increase brightness and change Gamma  (WORST "SOLUTION"): NEVER but NEVER should anyone mess with Gamma Settings, let alone increase them, the only thing this will do is max out some color values and make your image look completely ghosted, white, and wash the colors off, making people look like they are made of wax. This settings not only make the image look bad but you will have to change the settings back to their original configuration after you are done watching the HDR media since this settings will make SDR content look horrible.

- Change Netflix Quality to HD: This kind of works because Netflix does not encode videos with HDR that are lower than 4k resolution, but keep in mind you will now have a 4K TV streaming content far too small for your tv screen which make you lose a lot quality , causing the image to look very bad.

So here is a real workaround that works for 4k Resolution: Use extrenal media. (Roku, Chromecast, no other device works for me)

- Connect Roku/Chromecast to HDMI port

- On your TV Setting navigate to External Device Manager and turn off HDMI UHD Color for the HDMI Port your device is on.
- Stream media from Roku/Chromecast instead of using the TV's Applications

Now the REAL SOLUTION:

All of this nonsense could just be avoided if Samsung adds a simple option to the Device Settings to turn HDR off completely instead of forcing a feature nobody asked for on us. Since series 6/7 Tvs do not handle HDR content as well as more modern series, this is a scam from Samsung to make people thing that the image looks better on newer more expensive Tvs by knowingly making "older" model TVs image look darker.

I'm looking for people interested to file a claim for a class action lawsuit to make them acknowledge this and fix it and give the money back for scamming so many users.

This is how The Witcher Episode 1 looks when watched through Roku and Chromecast Ultra 4k with HDR turned off:IMG_20200502_041003.jpg

IMG_20200502_045109.jpg

And this is how it looks on the Samsung Netflix App with HDR forcefully turned ON: IMG_20200502_041122.jpg

I have been struggling wiht this for year and most of the users don't even notice until someone points it out. And THERE IS NO CONFIGURATION SETTINGS that make the HDR content look as good as the first image let alone decent, any image setting you set will make it look horrible if you manage to get the image not to look as dark, which is the SAME CONTENT but without processing HDR since it is being blocked by the HDMI UHD option being turned off. 

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Turn Off HDR completely.

I am suffering with this for way to long now. This is absolutely crazy... HDR on my samsung makes everything unwatchable. Worst in the new TV. There is no hdr setting they hid it as "input signal plus" in the general menu setting under external device manager. Does anyone know if this can be disabled from the tech menu? I would love to know where to look

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Can you try the following:

1. Open Expert Settings. The settings for turning HDR support on and off are found in the Picture Settings menu.
  2. Turn on HDR+ mode. To turn HDR support on or off, find the HDR+ mode in the Expert Settings menu. Using the toggle button, you can deactivate HDR or enable it again.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

@SamsungTam that doesnt work and it dorsnt turn hdr off, it toggles hdr+ which is diffrrent

Highlighted
Asteroid

I can only speak for the Q9FN (2018) + Amazon Prime Video and the HDR picture can look too dim as well over here. I'm not sure but I do think the issue is related to the App itself.

So +1 for the option to disable HDR for apps without loosing 4k resolution. Maybe we have to reach out for the app delvelopers (Netflix, Amazon, aso.) for such a option within these apps?
Anyway it shouldn't be too complicated to give us such an option!

@SamsungTam
HDR+ doesn't look as good as calibrated movie mode, so this isn't a good solution imho.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Actually, Samsung is the one that must provide this option as part of the TV, so it can be turned off. 

Streaming apps such as netflix simply send over media content with HDR embedded into the media itself and the receiver device is the one who interprets it, so it is quite far more complicated to have them add two different files per episode, 4k with HDR and 4k without HDR, times every single streaming service. This is not sustainable.

Samsung is the one that should not force the users to be stuck with HDR if they don't want it. SPECIALLY if HDR is not even an agreed upon standard yet. Each company have different HDR solutions that are simply not universally supported which causes these problems.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Nothing works. 

Samsung support is also useless. We are moving with a Class action lawsuit.

@JahYout checkout the main post https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/4k-8k-and-Other-TVs/TURN-HDR-OFF/td-p/1232488

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

This is proof that samsung must fix this ASAP.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

@alonso279 wrote:

Did anyone ever find a solution to this problem? I have a 2018 Q6F 55" that looks amazingly good, I was under the impression that the new generations would look better, so a couple of days ago I bought a 2019 Q70R 75" and the HDR mode is horrbile. Picture looks all kinds of dark and colors are far from being accurate. It appears that samsung is going to force me to buy an apple TV in order to fix this issues, which is a real tragedy since their UI is kinda neat. I even talked to samsung customer support and the guy ended up telling me that there is no way to turn it off, I am attaching pictures of my conversation. This is pretty unfortunate considering that the QLED TV's have such a crisp picture, good thing I can still return it and get a different brand I guess. 

Alonso thanks a lot for this.

Ive already had countless conversations with Samsung with the exact same outcome.

Theres talk and movement about going in for a Class Action Lawsuit since Samsung is ignoring everyone with this issue. @alonso279 

Highlighted
Asteroid

+1 would like a fix here, tried to watch Avengers: Infinity War and it was almost impossible to see in any non-daylight scene