JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Two Samsung Smart TVs, two remotes

(Topic created: 08-24-2018 10:55 AM)
CamaroMike
Cosmic Ray
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

We have a Samsung smart tv in our kitchen, an another in the adjacent family room. They are separated by a wall and a short hallway so you can't see tv#1 when watching tv#2.  If the tv in the kitchen is off, and the one in the family room is on, and someone turns on the kitchen tv... the family room tv powers down.  Both TVs have wifi and are on the home network.

Obviously it's something to do with the remotes.  Is there a way that I can dictate that the kitchen tv remote signals are not picked up by the family room tv? Guess I'd have to "program" both remotes to only work line of sight? That's IR right? Not RF.

Thanks in advance for the help.-Mike

user2caK8GPXVb
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I can´t believe there is no solution to this problem in the year 2018. So the official suggestion from Samsung is to buy different brands?

user0vQvz1ckpi
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Don't get too excited there buddy. I ended up here because my LG remote, Vizio remote and Samsung remotes ALL work on each other. So the three TVs that I use in nearby rooms all affect each other. Even the Denon receiver remote does it.

uservVChpLgHh3
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Just get smart view app

0 Likes
usercowqheUkdv
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Has anyone tried the SmartThings app?  I have a 2018 QLED TV.  I'd like to buy two more, but am concerned about the same issue of not being able to pair a single remote with a single TV.  Does the SmartThings app, allow you to control several of the same 2018 QLED TVs?  Thanks.

0 Likes
user9kWJPsuvfR
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I updated my tv 

It worked for me

0 Likes
userDgtwUjvoBh
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I have the same problem!  I have the Samsung Monitor/SMART TV and a regular Samsung 32" SMART TV.  Both Samsung remotes and the "DISH" Universal remote works on both TVs.  With the Monitor right in front of me, I placed a piece of Black Electrical tape over a little more than half of the front of the remote.  Now, I have to hold that remote real close to the Monitor to turn it on and off.  It doesn't affect the other TV so far as I can tell.  Worth a try!

usera81M6lQn99
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I also used black electrical tape. But I heated an ice pick and used it to punch a hole in a 1 inch piece of tape. Placed the hole over the red light on the 51 inch set. Then on the 24 inch set, which has the receiver in a bump on the bottom, I covered the entire bump with the same tape except for a small hole at each end.

Requires more careful aiming of the remote, but they no longer pick up the bounced IR beam from all over the place.

EDIT: The ice pick hole proved to be too small. I had to replace it with a larger uncovered area around the light. You may need to experiment with it to get it right for your situation.

userw94UwO7Jnw
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Thank you!!!  I have a kids room separated down the middle and each has their own tv.  They were driving each other crazy turning the tvs on and off accidentally. The tape trick worked and was sooo much cheaper than buying harmony blaster things.  Appreciate it!

userBAHHf5g37e
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

The Tape trick worked! You will have to experiment with the placement of the tape and the size of the hole.

userctSNuQFIhc
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I also have the same problem in my basement 

so what I’m gathering is just take tape and cover up a laser on the remote and cut a small hole in the tape??

thanks 

0 Likes