cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DarthBaker
Constellation

UN50RU7100FXZA Auto dims on dark screens, no Local Dimming option

Why does this brand new TV and I just set the settings which makes games like RDR2 look amazing BUT this annoying auto dim "no-feature" is making me want to return it (still have 12 days from the store) it effects all modes? (Dynamic, Normal, Movie etc.)

Before anyone asks I've made sure that all ECO settings are off, and updated to the latest FW update (Version : 1303.7). I've even called Samsung's remote tech support and they couldn't figure it out, all they would say is related to local dimming which is not an option in any settings.

I see no "Local Dimming" feature anywhere. I know people on YouTube and Reddit have mentioned other higher models having the option and or in their service menu but according to others this model TV doesn't even have it in that service menu. If anyone can confirm this it would be great.

Anyone else here have a solution? This is a big issue for the price tag where as Vizio and others at $130-160 less have this option.

6 REPLIES 6
DarthBaker
Constellation

Re: UN50RU7100FXZA Auto dims on dark screens, no Local Dimming option

No one else has any comments to add?

TychoBrahe
Constellation

I've noticed the same thing on my end. 4K content looks great, but HDR was looking a little...off. I figured the dimming issue had to do with HDRD content, but I've noticed it on SDR content as well. I'm watching something, and there's a scene with low lighting and the TV will dim the brightness. This makes no sense: if a scene is dark, I don't want the TV to make the image darker. Like you, I've got all ECO settings off, and I'm not happy that there's no option, nothing to turn off in order to fix this.

I also have a thread started with no responses.  This happens for me on the YouTube app only.  I have to go into settings and change the picture mode from standard to dynamic mode and back to standard again for the brightness to come back to normal levels.

I have a 7 series 58" with no local dimming settings as well.

userq0FGtWNBQg
Constellation

I've just got the 55RU7170 4k tv with the same problem, dark scene becomes darker, with all auto settings are turned off, while watching the davinci code movie on Netflix (dynamic mode), when a dark scene comes to the tv, the tv auto dim the scene.

Also while playing on my ps4 (game mode), also any dark scene becomes darker.

user2VTRLh4nVf
Constellation

I have the same issue, @DarthBaker. Have you had any luck figuring out the problem? I'm only two days in and I'm thinking about getting rid of the TV.

TychoBrahe
Constellation

I discovered, through a combination of testing, reading, and more reading, is that this TV does not have a feature called local dimming. Very basically, local dimming allows for the TV to specifically brighten or dim the individual LEDs behind the image, ensuring bright brights and rich darks in the same frame. Because this TV lacks that ability, the software will average out the brightness levels across the entire image; this leads to a vivid display as long as there's a big, fully lit image in the frame. If, however, the image consists of mostly dark with just a few bright spots, then the entire image will dim.

If we want a truly HDR viewing experience, it looks like we'll have to get a 4K UHD display that specifically features local dimming.