JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

UN55MU8000 turning on and off, no image, red light flashes once with each power up/down

(Topic created on: 9/8/20 5:59 AM)
GrottyKnight
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Howdy all, As stated my tv suddenly went black while watching it last night. The power, unless unplugged, continually turns the tv on and then off. There is no image, I can just see that the screen is powered up. It then turns itself off. rinse repeat. When it initially happened we could still hear sound. Now there is nothing. I cold booted the tv and checked all source cables and peripherals. I am guessing it is a power supply or control board issue. Any pointers on how to troubleshoot these? The TV is a 2017 model.

Thanks.

Edit:  I recieved several phone calls regarding this and was transferred several times. They told me they couldn't find anyone to service it and just canceled the ticket. I do this kind of work and sell and service appliances. I said that if they just send me the parts, I would take care of it and we could call it square. I sat on hold for almost an hour and then recieved an email saying the ticket was canceled. The last person I spoke with said the TV had been out of warranty for several years. The TV is only 2 years old. So thats not possible. I am becoming increasingly u happy with the service and I usually rave about Samsung. Everything electronic I own is samsung. Am I out of luck here? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SamsungCaleb
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

I'm sorry to hear that, if you this issue please try plugging the TV directly into the wall if you have not already. If the TV is able to stay on for a few mins at a time you may be able to turn the power off with mobile which may help in some cases you can do that by doing the following: Navigate to Settings > General > Network > Expert Settings > Power On with Mobile, and turn the setting off.

If the troubleshooting steps did not help above then you have a couple of options based on your warranty. 

- If your unit was recently purchased, you can check with your retailer on their return/exchange processes.
- If you have an extended warranty you can reach out to them to have service set up. 
- If you're within the one year warranty, you can Private message me or one of our moderators with your full model and serial number to have service setup
- If you're OUT of warranty, you can use this link below to find a service center in your area. 

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/locations/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

0 Likes
12 Replies
SamsungTam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

How long does it stay on before turning off again? Is it possible to check the current software on tv?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
GrottyKnight
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

1-3 seconds. The screen stays black but you can see that it is lit.  the tv was connected to wifi and would usually update software automatically but I cant currently access that information.

0 Likes
SamsungTam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

How long have you had the unit?

0 Likes
GrottyKnight
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

bought it brand new November 2017

0 Likes
GrottyKnight
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

bought it brand new November 2017

edit: Sorry, I dont know how that managed to post twice

0 Likes
SamsungTam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Can you send me a private message with your full model and serial number? http://bit.ly/2tCGnGK

0 Likes
GrottyKnight
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

sent. Thank you.

0 Likes
GrottyKnight
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

I recieved several phone calls regarding this and was transferred several times. They told me they couldn't find anyone to service it and just canceled the ticket. I do this kind of work and sell and service appliances. I said that if they just send me the parts, I would take care of it and we could call it square. I sat on hold for almost an hour and then recieved an email saying the ticket was canceled. The last person I spoke with said the TV had been out of warranty for several years. The TV is only 2 years old. So thats not possible. I am becoming increasingly u happy with the service and I usually rave about Samsung. Everything electronic I own is samsung. Am I out of luck here? 

0 Likes
Crim91
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

It's a very common issue for the 8-series. Same thing happened to mine, for the most part.

Pictured faded to a saturated green color before the TV shut off. After that, I tried turning it on again and it would consistently power-cycle as you describe.

Aside from all the pointless troubleshooting steps they tell you to perform, I've removed the back panel, inspected all cables, connectors, and the boards themselves. I even inspected the components under a thermal imaging camera to see if there were any obvious excessive heat spots on any components. I also removed the heat sink from the CPU on the logic board, cleaned and reapplied thermal paste, then re-fastened it.

Nothing fixes this issue.

The only difference I could make was when I removed the ribbon cables from the logic board coming from the power board. This would result in the backlight coming on and staying on, but would obviously produce no picture or give any functionality. This leads me to believe it might be an issue with the logic board.

I've heard from others that replacing the logic board only seems to be a temporary fix, as it seems there might be a "timing" issue between the boards and the panel itself, but I haven't found much else on that possibility.

Samsung refuses to put me in touch with a technician; these support mods aren't helpful at all.

0 Likes