Original topic:

UN55NU8000FX Can’t find 5GHz on Dual band network

(Topic created: 02-21-2019 12:34 PM)
rickatk
Halo
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Attention Samsung Moderators:

I was wondering if one of the moderators could explain why my TV could not find the 5GHz band on my dual band home network. The TV easily connected to the 2.4GHz network but could only receive data at 1.5Mbps. The 5GHz option was not viewable until I set my router to display 2.4GHz and 5GHz discretely (utilizing separate band names). All my other devices, easily recognized both bands in dual band mode.

The TV and apps are working very well set to the dedicated 5GHz band. I am seeing through put of 175GHz on the TV connections. my concern is that  I had to reconfigure all my devices to point to the 5GHz band because I had to turn off “dual band” on my router to accommodate the  TV. The TV should have been able to connect to the 5GHz band on its own.

31 Replies
Solution
SamsungTam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

This model tv only has a 2.4Ghz card in the device. 2018 models NU7100/NU710D, NU7200, and NU7300/NU730D only support 2.4 GHz networks. They will not detect 5 GHz networks.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in context

0 Likes
rickatk
Halo
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

@SamsungTam wrote:

This model tv only has a 2.4Ghz card in the device. 2018 models NU7100/NU710D, NU7200, and NU7300/NU730D only support 2.4 GHz networks. They will not detect 5 GHz networks.

Thanks Darius

As an aside, I find it interesting Samsung would only put a 2.4GHz card in a smart TV loaded with apps, in 2018. I have been on the fence about the app streaming part of Smart TVs for many years. My last TV, a very good “dumb” Samsung Plasma TV had no apps. I purchased TV as smart TVs were just hitting the market.  I specifically didn’t want TV apps preferring to go with an AppleTV. This time round I decided to give the TV apps a try but was quite disappointed with their performance. The TV was only receiving data at 1.5 Mbps, until I figured out how to point the TV to 5GHz. Big difference - 175Mbps. All the apps sing. The 4K HDR apps work and look great.

With iTunes for Samsung TVs coming around the corner I am thinking I may not upgrade my old Apple TV. The Samsung TV apps running on Tizen coupled with 5GHz and the little Samsung remote for navigating, really does the job!

My point to all of this is: if Samsung is trying to build a better app experience, they should put in a more capable wifi card.

SamsungTam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Thank you for your suggestion and for detailing your concern. I have tagged your post as feedback so our development team will see this inquiry. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
rickatk
Halo
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

I can’t get this message string to clear from my notifications. How do I click “accepted “ and clear it?

0 Likes
SamsungJam
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Are you accessing community through the app or the website?  You should be able to click the notification button and clear them out.  

0 Likes
rickatk
Halo
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

@SamsungJam wrote:

Are you accusing community through the app or the website?  You should be able to click the notification button and clear them out.  

I am accessing the community via Safari.

There is no way to clear the notifications.

I can’t find the Samsung Community app.

0 Likes
SamsungJam
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

We will look into this further.  Thank you.  

0 Likes
LaziDaze
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Rick    --     I too have the same model TV and like you I was somewhat surprised that the 5 GHz wifi capabilities were missing.  You would think the the Samsung designers/engineers would realize that with all of the built-in and available apps that owners would be using the TV with a lot of streaming services and would want the fastest hook-ups.

In my case I had an existing ethernet cable in my system that was connected to a DirecTV DVR/reciever.  I had run that ethernet cable years ago when I found that the VOD on DirecTV ran a lot smoother with a direct ethernet connection rather than wifi. I was able to get an ethernet switch/splitter that gave me another ethernet connection to connect to the TV.  I don't know if this option is available for you but I figured I would mention it. Good luck.

rickatk
Halo
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

>In my case I had an existing ethernet cable in my system that was connected to a DirecTV DVR/reciever.  I had run that ethernet cable years ago when I found that the VOD on DirecTV ran a lot smoother with a direct ethernet connection rather than wifi. I was able to get an ethernet switch/splitter that gave me another ethernet connection to connect to the TV.  I don't know if this option is available for you but I figured I would mention it. Good luck.

Hi LaziDaze:

Thanks for replying. Nice to hear about your experience.

Unfortunately I don’t have access to ethernet connection in my TV room. Fortunately I do have good internet service over wifi. The problem seems to be the TV and in particular the wifi card. While the TV is set up set up for lots of apps it doesn’t have a great wifi connection interface. I am advised by Samsung I have to manually steer the TV to my discrete 5GHz band as the TV constructed sort out the bands on a dual band router. That’s ok. I figured it out.

At least now  I am getting good wifi reception on my home network on the 5GHz band. The TV shows 175Mbps using the web browser and Speedtest. The same for the speed test function built into Netflix. That is plenty for streaming 4KHDR titles from Netflix, Prime and YouTube. 

Oddly and as an aside, my iPad Pro in the same location gets around 375 Mbps.

At any rate this TV, with a good internet connection, lots of built in 4K apps and iTunes around the corner promises to be a good streaming device with a really great picture.