cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Updated - 55" MU7000 Vertical shadows on both sides of unit.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

*EDIT* - Read my post below for my final experience with Samsung. Never buying from them ever again.

----------------

Yep, another one to add to the hundreds/thousands of posts about this same issue in Samsungs lineup of edge lit LED TVs. Bought from Best Buy in late 2017. Not even 3 years old. Of course its out of warranty. Didn't think I'd need one because my 11 year old Sony Bravia still works perfectly.

20200911-121559-1

Yes, I have power cycled the unit multiple times, did all the tests, plugged into wall instead of surge protector, changed expert settings, did a factory reset as well as waiting hours to turn off and on to see if there was any change. It's just the same defect that has caused this issue for so many other people.

Had I known about this very very common problem with samsung TV's, I would have steered far away as I just want something to last. Even if I had to go with less features, the more reliability the better. Especially for the price paid.

I called Samsung service and they said well its out of warranty, nothing they can do. Let me be clear here. This is a DEFECT. This will more than likely happen to every single Edge lit TV in Samsungs lineup at some point in their lifetime. Do the research on it if you have this issue or have a Samsung edge lit TV. There's countless threads on multiple sites showing the exact same problem, always occuring 18-24 months after purchase. It's a problem that has been happening for years, all from 2017 to 2020 and we'll probably see more and more as time goes on.

When people buy a television, the main thing we want is for it to last a long time. That's not much to ask. Like I said, my Sony Bravia from 2009 is still going strong with zero issues. Even if it doesnt have all of the qualities or functionlity as a new TV, it is acceptable if the unit still looks like it should. Having a $1000+ dollar product fail after not even 2 years of light to moderate use is unacceptable and for it to happen on this wide of a scale I really hope I get some assistance here.

After samsung told me to "go get it repaired" at full cost without offering anything, I asked my local TV repair guy and he said it would be a significant cost as it involves replacing the screen.

Anyway. I'll keep this post updated and let everyone know if and how Samsung treats my case. I am hoping for a warranty extend and a free screen replacement - because like i said, this is a defect that is pretty much guaranteed to happen over the course of these TV's lifetimes. I am willing to give a positive review and continue supporting Samsung if they fix this issue as this is my first time having a problem with them. However I can honestly say that I'm very dissapointed as I feel that even if they fix it, the same thing will happen again after another year or two.

Heres hoping.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Re: 55" MU7000 Vertical shadows on both sides of unit. Yup. (defect)

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Update on this. Basically, the US mods below offered to cover the cost of repair. Much appreciated of course, but since im in Canada they said nothing they can do and sent me to the Canada website.

I contacted the Canadian support as there is no forum over there for TV's and they were extremely terrible and offered no help whatsoever. I tried multiple times and always the same generic "if your TV is out of warranty there is nothing we can" statements, and I tried both online live help as well as phone support. There is simply no comparison to the US samsung team vs the rest of the world. It's pretty unfortunate how bad it is and how unprofessional the canadian team is as a whole. They really do NOT care about what your problem is, they just read from a script and if you have an issue with a product out of warranty you will NOT get help.

Anyway, the point is, is that Samsung as a whole did not help me at all and I'm completely unsatisfied with the experience and will never purchase a samsung product again. I will also be letting all of my friends/family know about how they refuse to acknowledge actual defects in their items and do not stand behind their products.

Again, I appreciate the US mods trying to help me - but at the same time, I asked them to reach out to canadian support for me as I wasn't get any help from the CA support and they just ended up ignoring me. Not their problem I suppose but still dissapointing.

As a side note, I really think that their TV lineup means nothing to Samsung, especially their budget and midrange ones and if something goes wrong they don't care and have enough revenue that it doesn't matter if someone like myself and thousands of other are affected by defects like this. This vertical shadow issue has been showcased so many times it honestly makes me kind of sick to know that they can get away with it

Regardless of it all, that's it I guess. Gonna go try and sell the piece of junk for $50 on Kijiji or something. Best of luck to everyone who gambles with these defective televisions.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Still no response from Samsung.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Would you happen to have a transaction number from your previous contact with us? 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No, the lady on the phone didn't provide one and was rather abrupt when finishing the phone call.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I would like to look into this further.  Could you send me a private message with your full model and serial number?  http://bit.ly/2ihPL97

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Update on this. Basically, the US mods below offered to cover the cost of repair. Much appreciated of course, but since im in Canada they said nothing they can do and sent me to the Canada website.

I contacted the Canadian support as there is no forum over there for TV's and they were extremely terrible and offered no help whatsoever. I tried multiple times and always the same generic "if your TV is out of warranty there is nothing we can" statements, and I tried both online live help as well as phone support. There is simply no comparison to the US samsung team vs the rest of the world. It's pretty unfortunate how bad it is and how unprofessional the canadian team is as a whole. They really do NOT care about what your problem is, they just read from a script and if you have an issue with a product out of warranty you will NOT get help.

Anyway, the point is, is that Samsung as a whole did not help me at all and I'm completely unsatisfied with the experience and will never purchase a samsung product again. I will also be letting all of my friends/family know about how they refuse to acknowledge actual defects in their items and do not stand behind their products.

Again, I appreciate the US mods trying to help me - but at the same time, I asked them to reach out to canadian support for me as I wasn't get any help from the CA support and they just ended up ignoring me. Not their problem I suppose but still dissapointing.

As a side note, I really think that their TV lineup means nothing to Samsung, especially their budget and midrange ones and if something goes wrong they don't care and have enough revenue that it doesn't matter if someone like myself and thousands of other are affected by defects like this. This vertical shadow issue has been showcased so many times it honestly makes me kind of sick to know that they can get away with it

Regardless of it all, that's it I guess. Gonna go try and sell the piece of junk for $50 on Kijiji or something. Best of luck to everyone who gambles with these defective televisions.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The above post was originally deleted by a mod but I reported it as abuse and thankfully it was restored. People should see that this is a real thing that happens.