JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Volume not working with remote

(Topic created: 01-20-2019 08:00 PM)
Chrisv909
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

TV was working fine yesterday I turn it on today and I had an issue with the volume not working on my Samsung remote nor on my Directv remote. So me being the guy I am I tried to figure it out on my own. Googled all possible answers, factory reset my TV. After no positive results I contacted Samsung through Live Chat. We went through the unplug TV for 60 seconds process and that didnt work. He then had me remove my batteries from my Samsung remote and hold the power button for 40-50 seconds then reinstall batteries and that seemed to work for both my TV remote and my Directv remote and I just did that process with my TV remote and it's been going strong for hours already....Hope this helps

106 Replies
userJ1E3JDmZdd
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I’m having the same issue and tried to follow your instructions the best I could. I’m still having no volume control in the remote. I took out the batteries in the remote, then I held the remotes power button for 40 seconds, then I reinstalled the batteries and nothing happened. Did I miss a step or did this just not work for me? 

userPQxpKgq6lD
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

There are buttons on this TV but they are unseen. Cannot find where to touch!  Thought it was in right bottom corner. The remote worked to lower volume-now we cannot hear.

0 Likes
userAItbAnr4uf
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I had the same problem I removed the batter's and held the power button for 50 sec and it work..

0 Likes
userOQK4kqzrox
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

This works fine but it doesnt solve the overall problem.  I have to do this pretty much every day because almost everytime I go to turn the tv on with whatever remote, it doesn't matter, the volume is off again.  

0 Likes
userNeevMem9Vo
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

this solution isn't working for me. Samsung, we need a fix for this problem. I cannot adjust the volume on my TV - it is only 3 years old. This should not be happening. PLEASE HELP.

0 Likes
userYwGctZyBcE
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

This really worked. Thanks

0 Likes
userMywBVip1xG
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I pointed my directv remote at 45 degree angle upward so flat spot on underside of remote points directly at genie (mini) box. !!!  My remote controls volume and turns off tv.

0 Likes
userMvUf9KISm6
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

i am trying to just use one remote for tv and soundbar with my directv remote.  both the remote that came with the soundbar and the samsung remote for my tv works.  I am having trouble connecting the directv remote to handle the soundbar...any suggestions.  

0 Likes
useriSbHwcZd28
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Can you share the solution again? The solution link isn’t working.

thank you!

0 Likes
GranitStatColin
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Amazing. I was really skeptical that holding the power button on the TV for 50 seconds would do anything, after previous resets and unplugging TV for a few minutes had not worked. I really thought I was going to have to either accept no IR control for my TV (I could have worked around that) or I'd need to open it it and replace the IR receiver. To my pleasant surprise, the original poster's solution immediately fixed the problem. 

It seems like this thread is covering a few different issues, so for others, this solution seems to span many different Samsung models. I'm using an older Samsung UN65D8000, never had a problem in 8 years until today, and problem was just that the power and volume buttons on the remote did nothing to the TV (at all). TV worked fine if using the controls built into the TV (right side behind the bezel). The original poster's suggestion of remove the batteries from Samsung remote, then press and hold the power button on the TV for 50 seconds (I did 60 to be safe), then restore batteries to remote worked. 

Not sure if these matter, but TV was on when I first started holding the power button on the TV (and I saw some asked if it should be plugged in -- yes, this button press is triggering an internal computer command that can only run if the TV has access to power). First button I pressed on the remote was the power button on the Samsung remote after putting the batteries back in it. I did NOT remove the batteries from satellite or other test remote when I did this, only the Samsung remote. Not sure removing batteries from any remote was needed. 

For my symptoms, which probably determine if this is the right solution for you too or if you have a different problem: Neither the Samsung remote nor the universal remote in my satellite remote worked on the TV at all. It was clearly the TV as the remotes worked fine for everything else and replacing batteries had no effect and direct controls on the back/side of TV worked fine. Unplugging the TV from the wall for a minute had no effect. The TV would turn on fine from the HDMI signal from the satellite box, but there was way to control the TV volume (an external sound source would have worked fine, but in this room I use the TV speakers for volume, so I needed the remote to be able to work on the TV) or turn it on/off from the remote. None of the IR buttons would do anything. My Samsung TV happens to include a remote that has an IR side and a Bluetooth side (keyboard, menu buttons, etc. on Bluetooth side). I found that the Bluetooth side buttons still all worked fine, only the IR buttons were not working (unless you have this kind of dual remote, you probably can't perform that particular test). So I thought my IR receiver in the TV is shot. Fortunately, nope, just needed to hold the power button on the TV for a minute.  If this happens again, I'll try it without first removing batteries from the Samsung remote, because the problem applied to all remotes so I think the problem was purely inside the TV, but that might indeed have been a critical part of the process.

What an incredibly simple solution to what seemed like a certain hardware problem.