Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Yet another UN65KS8000FXZA power cycling issue

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi all,

TV is a UN65KS8000FXZA, purchased 1/14/17 from BestBuy in MA, USA. It's wall mounted, with several HDMI devices plugged in. It's had a great life, never given us any trouble. Tonight randomly during a Netflix stream from our Apple TV, the TV shut off and has been power cycling.

It tries to turn on, we see the backlight for the screen flicker (but no graphics or menus appear), and then the TV powers off. I can see the red light in the bottom right corner of the unit indicating the power is off.

What I've tried: 1) Removing all HDMI devices connected. 2) Unplugged the TV entirely. 3) Plugging the TV in a different outlet. 4) Disconnecting and reconnecting the OneConnect device. 5) Unplugging the TV, disabling my Wifi/Modem, letting the TV both up (trying to see if it was pulling bad firmware).

I'm trying to talk with chat support (seriously phone support's only active 9am-6pm?) and they're very quick to immediately recommend a site visit.

Anybody have any experience with site visits?  What's the out of pocket cost (presumably just for Samsung to tell me that I must pay a much larger sum)?

Of course I'm out of warranty, but we paid $1800 for this TV just over 3 years ago.  To me that feels like somewhat poor value for money with not very helpful support.  

I'm hoping anybody else who's had to go through this can shed some light on what I have to look forward to with a Service Request from the friendly neighborhood Samsung repairmen.

Thanks in advance!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Yet another UN65KS8000FXZA power cycling issue

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Unplug the TV for 30 seconds.

• Unplug the TV from the wall outlet or surge protector for 30 seconds, and then plug it back in

Try to update the software.

• In some cases, a software update can correct the problem. There is a risk, however. If the TV turns off during the software update, it could damage the TV. Updates can take up to 30 minutes depending on network speed, so if the TV is not turning off too frequently, try updating the software.

Disable the Power On with Mobile option.

• TVs that can connect to SmartThings can be turned on using compatible devices, sometimes automatically. However, if abnormal "power on" signals are sent through the wireless network, they will trigger this function and make the TV turn on.
  • If you do not want this function, navigate to Settings > General > Network > Expert Settings > Power On with Mobile, and turn the setting off.

If the above troubleshooting steps didn't help you are welcome to send us a private message with the full model code and serial number in order to see if the unit is within the warranty or if it qualifies for any possible options. Messages can be sent by visiting any mod's profile.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Unplug the TV for 30 seconds.

• Unplug the TV from the wall outlet or surge protector for 30 seconds, and then plug it back in

Try to update the software.

• In some cases, a software update can correct the problem. There is a risk, however. If the TV turns off during the software update, it could damage the TV. Updates can take up to 30 minutes depending on network speed, so if the TV is not turning off too frequently, try updating the software.

Disable the Power On with Mobile option.

• TVs that can connect to SmartThings can be turned on using compatible devices, sometimes automatically. However, if abnormal "power on" signals are sent through the wireless network, they will trigger this function and make the TV turn on.
  • If you do not want this function, navigate to Settings > General > Network > Expert Settings > Power On with Mobile, and turn the setting off.

If the above troubleshooting steps didn't help you are welcome to send us a private message with the full model code and serial number in order to see if the unit is within the warranty or if it qualifies for any possible options. Messages can be sent by visiting any mod's profile.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi,

I appreciate the reply but unfortunately I'm not able to even see menu options let alone change settings.  The power cycle takes less than a second before turning off.  The panel stays dark, no graphics or menus appear, but I do see the backlight turn on.

I've already spoken with Samsung customer support via web chat and phone, both of whom referred me to a local shop which is quoting me $200 simply to come on site and diagnose, and is hoping to "pre buy" parts at my expense with a $500 up charge.  I completely understand that this type of issue can only be handled with an in person visit, but I just don't feel comfortable agreeing to pay "some amount of money" before I get the option to decide if the unit is even worth fixing.

For a TV only 3 years old this level of "support" is truly disappointing.  I've always had such a great experience with Samsung products (over a dozen phones and tablets) but never have I felt such a cold shoulder in a rough situation like I have with this TV issue.  Unfortunately I think we're going to have to start shopping for a new unit this weekend, will probably look to LG.

EDIT:  as mentioned in the first post, I've tried:
- Unplugging the TV for long periods of time (including different outlets)

- Removing all HDMI devices connected
- Disabling my home Wifi, unplugging the TV, and plugging it back in (hopefully trying to stop some stuck job in a firmware update boot loop)

Nothing's worked, we're still stuck in a myster power cycle like so many others have reported on this forum.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can you shoot me a private message with the serial number of the TV? This is going to require service at this point, and I would like to look into some options for you Smiley Happy

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same for me!  I am waiting on final replacements for the main board, power board, and panel.  Tech is due back today.  

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello, Thank you for your feedback. We understand that the marked “Accepted Solution” may not be the solution for everyone on a particular thread or topic, but since it has worked for some, it has been marked as a solution. We appreciate your participation in the Community; please feel free to reach out to a moderator if you have any further concerns regarding posted content. Thank you, The Samsung Community Team

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This was not the solution, please unmark this.  I am waiting on physical repairs to my TV set.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The solution marked by Samsung in this thread is false, I am still waiting on repairs.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

As a quick update to everybody following the thread:

The first visit was quoted at almost $500 for exploratory work and potential replacement parts (a main board and power board).  I was not confident that the boards were going to resolve the issue, and believed a panel replacement might be necessary.  That would bring this repair to well over 50% the cost of the unit.  That's when you graciously offered to replace everything under a one time warranty.

After the first visit, Service Quick Inc's technician immediately determined a panel was needed as well, which would be covered under the warranty you'd authorized.

After the second visit, the panel replacement was defective out of the box (a horizontal black bar on the left side of the screen).  Service Quick authorized a replacement panel at no cost.

The third visit was scheduled today.  I observed the Service Quick Inc technician forcefully remove the new panel (still in the cardboard box) from his truck, and let it fall to the ground (he did not have anybody to help him remove it from the truck.  I would have offered but was not fast enough.).  The replacement was very quick, he saw the TV boot up to the Welcome screen, and he left.

I went back downstairs 10 minutes later to set up and test the TV.  I needed to re-pair the remote to the TV (which make sense due to the new main board) but that indicated to me that he did not test the TV at all beyond booting it up (how could he, the remote didn't work).  I re-paired the remote, and when the screen changed, I observed a vertical bar on the right side of the TV.

I immediately took a picture, and called Service Quick Inc.  Service Quick's phone responder claimed that, as the technician  had "already left" and hadn't "seen this with their own eyes" that they were unable to authorize a replacement panel, despite a very similar incident occurring less than a week ago.  This was in the space of 15 minutes from when the technician left my house.  Service Quick is claiming that, because the technician did not observe this fault (despite the fact that he had not tested thoroughly and could not have seen this due to inadequate testing), Samsung has to authorize any further replacement parts.

I've reached back out to Samsung for further steps, and we're hopeful a 4th visit from a different service center may finally resolve this.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My TV (the 55" version) just started doing the same thing to me and my wife. Now reading your post, I am not all that hopeful for a remedy. Same as you, purchased this at the end of 2016 and paid a pretty penny for a "future proof" TV. Bought the extended warranty from BB, and now two years out of warranty, my TV isn't starting up properly like it was on day one and again 3 days ago. I made my own post, but I want to follow your experience as well.