Original topic:

Accessing deceased father's phone

(Topic created: a month ago)
abudi26
Astronaut
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

Hi Samsung community,

I'm in a tough situation and hoping someone here can offer advice. My father recently passed away, leaving behind his Samsung  phone that's locked with a pattern lock. I believe it contains important information, but I can't access it.

I haven't contacted Samsung support yet because I'm unsure about the process. Before I take any that step, I'm wondering if there are any other options I should consider or if anyone has experience with a similar situation.

Is there a way to bypass the pattern lock safely and legally? Are there specific steps I should take before reaching out to Samsung? Any advice on handling this delicate situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance you can provide!

10 Replies
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

The only thing I can think of is if you know his Samsung account password, to access the account and try to reset the password from within there.  Your best bet is to reach out to Samsung and see if there is anything else.   If you are the executor/administrator of his estate or only heir, there would be nothing illegal about getting into the phone - you would just have to be able to prove that you have that capacity.

MyAngel19
Constellation
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
They will tell you that you will have to do a factory reset on the phone. Which defeats the purpose because you lose everything on the phone.
0 Likes
MyAngel19
Constellation
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
Good Luck! We couldn't find anyone who would unlock my daughters. Not the mfg of the phone, phone provider, the geeks at best buy. No one!
0 Likes
mlpd63
Cosmic Ray
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
I would call Samsung support . Explain your situation as long as you know your father's password a verify his information Samsung can get into the phone remotely or try this

Draw a wrong pattern 5 times .
Tap forgot pattern
Enter your (your dads) goggle account and password
Once you sign in ,
Your in.
Good luck .
I just lost my dad I know how you feel
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

Even with a reset, won't lose everything.  A backup can be restored, and a new password can be created. The backups do not contain the phone passwords, patterns or fingerprints.  Of course, Samsung will have to assist in resetting the Samsung account password, which is in their power to do, so that the account can be logged into to download the backup.

0 Likes
Spunkylittledude
Cosmic Ray
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
Man idk know how to do that, but that's tough I hope you feel better I will pray for you 🙏🏾 ❤️ 💛
0 Likes
userra
Sun
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
Sorry for your loss it would be a nice idea if Samsung added a digital legacy contact for these situations. Hang in there.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

They should, but that would be wholly dependent on the user setting it up and, frankly, most people aren't thinking of their mortality. They should provide a prompt upon setup--"would you like to setup a digital legacy administrator?" 

userra
Sun
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
No, I would not, and always ignore Google digital inactivity plan. I guess the phone would be intestate and maybe a developer or a judge could grant an order to allow the user to access the account. It wouldn't be a bad idea but then there's always a negative side too when bequeathing items to others. A physical key would be a good idea.
0 Likes