Original topic:

Service Disappeared After Update Today

(Topic created: 06-10-2024 02:18 PM)
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
Can anyone out there help me? My phone had an update today and after it was done and my phone restarted, my service completely disappeared! I spent a few hours online chatting with my service provider, tried everything they suggested but no luck! (Yes, I tried turning it off and back on). No calls, no texting... I only have my house WiFi to work with. Can't even schedule a call from Samsung! I've never used this before, not really sure how it works.. but I'm hoping someone out there might know what's going on or how I can fix it or if anyone else is going through similar problems! TIA!
14 Replies
E3141b
Asteroid
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
Hello, is it an eSim phone number? If not, turn off phone & then remove tray with 1 or 2 Sims & any memory cards and then place them carefully back onto their very small ledges and take note to which direction the contacts were facing - up with the screen or face down and then without using force push the tray back into where the tray was. Use plenty of light to see & over & on a clean table in case Sim & tray fall. Good luck.
0 Likes
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
I turned it off, removed the SIM, reinserted it properly and restarted the phone. Then I turned it back off/on. Still no luck. I even tried to do it with the SIM from my original phone that this service came through (SafeLink/TracFone - one of those "free" government provided service phones) before that phone broke last year and I transferred the service over onto this one about a half year ago.
0 Likes
E3141b
Asteroid
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
So it's not a physical Sim problem, still hoping that update isn't the problem.
Go to >Settings and usually scroll to bottom and go into >About phone & you should see your phone model & number. Select >Status information and view if you have serial number & Model code populated and there should be your Wi-Fi in >WIFI MAC address & something in >phone wifi Mac & address and Bluetooth address. Select the first one Sim card status & network should have your provider like Q-link, T-Mobile, or yours & IMS registration status says registered. If they don't show anything then you will need to call them to reconnect. Or reset phone (should have backup done with Google or other setup with contacts etc. ) if the update corrupted something vital. Sign-in to Google or other, Reinstall apps.
0 Likes
userxY3ZHKMQ8X
Constellation
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

This has been working for me, although, I sometimes have to do this up to 8 times to get my phone service back.  Completely  unacceptable Samsung! 

0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

You may have to go do a factory reset and then restore from the backup, but before restoring from the backup, see if your phone service is working, if it is, then restore your backup. Oh, and check the network prior to logging into your Samsung and Google accounts, because it may restore the backups automatically.  If it does not work after a reset, then most likely the problem is with the phone itself.  If it's still under warranty, have Samsung replace it.

Dave_Yudonno
Asteroid
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
What model? I have the 545G and it's always disconnecting from the network(Xfinity). I have to re start it every day then it works.
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

@Dave_Yudonno You shouldn't have to do that.  I have an A54 and have not had one problem with it, before or after the updates.  It always stays connected to my network.  Well, it does switch to wi-fi calling when I am in my house and connected to my wi-fi network, but still has a strong T-Mobile signal.  T-Mobile, for some reason, just prefers to put me on wi-fi calling if I have a strong wi-fi connection.  I have had no problem staying connected to either my cell provider or any wi-fi network.  

Did this behavior start before or after any updates?

While it doesn't hurt and can even be beneficial to restart your phone every day, you shouldn't have to.  You can automate the process to automate the restarts by going into device care and setting auto optimization to restart your phone every day.  You can set it to restart, say at 5:00 a.m., or whatever time just before you wake up.  Although the restarts are just a band-aid for whatever the real problem is.  If the re-start workaround works for you, just automate it.  Or you can create a routine that does the same.  It's less cumbersome, though to set the auto optimization and has the benefit of performing the optimization.

Options
A Series & Other Mobile
I had an update, I believe it said something like "UI update", that I kept rescheduling as I use my phone 24/7 (between appointments, having four kiddos, my mom living alone in another town and sometimes has medical emergencies etc...) and I wasn't sure how long the update would take or what all it would alter. Once I gave in and did the update, my service disappeared. I can still use my home WiFi. It is a Samsung Galaxy A53 5G, the service was originally on a Blu View 3 with government service (limited data, unlimited calling/texting). When that phone broke last year, my Dad sent me the one I currently have and I was able to switch the service over. I have had chats with both SafeLink and TracFone, SafeLink seemed a bit confused but TracFone gave me instructions about removing and replacing the SIM and then restarting my phone. No luck. The error that comes up reads "Invalid SIM card. Network locked SIM card inserted". I haven't had any issues up until now and am at a complete loss. I've already missed some important calls and messages (I was informed of this via email and FB Messenger) and I have no clue what to do next! There's no store I can take it to, and the Customer Service at SafeLink and TracFone don't seem to have any answers. I've had this service for well over a year in total, with over half a year of the service being on this phone. I have all the information for this phone (including the serial number!) and even found my old, busted Blu View 3 and popped the back off to get the SIM/ICCID, IMEI and other information from it. Any advice besides factory resetting? I don't know if everything I need from this phone is backed up - or if it is, WHERE and how to access it. Please feel free to throw any ideas/potential solutions my way!
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

Which is your carrier, Tracfone or Safelink? Has either sent you a new SIM card?  Usually a locked SIM card means it's locked to a particular phone, like if you had it in your BLU and wanted to prevent anyone from stealing your SIM (why would they do that, just steal the whole phone?), you can lock it to only be functional on the current phone it's in.  

You mentioned that everything was fine up until the UI update.  Unfortunately, a lot of people with a lot of different model phones had problems after the update with connectivity.  I don't think anyone has figured out why yet.

Almost everything on your phone is contained in the automatic backup, unless you checked boxes to not back certain things up.  Google backs up almost everything by default as well.  So between the two, you shouldn't lose anything if you choose to reset.  The only things that don't carry over are your phone password/pin/pattern, any biometrics you have stored and, if you use Samsung Pay, the credit card info will not restore--you will have to re-enter all that.

If you want to be absolutely sure that your backup is not overwritten by a new one before you can do a restore, you can make a manual backup using smart switch to an SD card or external device connected via USB (laptop, flash drive, desktop, portable HDD, etc.).  Doing that, you will always have a backup of your stuff that won't be overwritten until you overwrite it yourself.

If you choose to reset (at this point, you seem to have done all you can to avoid that), after it resets, check your connectivity before signing into your Samsung and Google accounts, just in case the backups start without prompting.  I don't remember if they do or not. If the phone connectivity does not return to a naked phone, I would say it's a phone/SIM issue, but I can't believe the update would have ruined so many people's networks). After the reset, sign into your accounts and allow/start the restore process. If the connectivity returns, you are good. If it's still in a nonworking state, you might try downloading WhatsApp to use for calls in the meantime, since it works over wi-fi, until either someone comes up with a resolution or you are able to afford a new device.

One more thing you might try before doing a reset, and I make no claim that this could work (but it won't hurt anything), is to go to the Samsung Store and download Good Guardians, and then the App Booster module and run it. Perhaps something in your apps cache is interfering with the proper workings of the network.