JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Android 12 Opt Out

(Topic created: 01-20-2022 04:45 PM)
LindaK20
Galaxy
Options
Android 12
This is from an unlocked Note 20 Ultra 5g owner. This is about Android 12 update with January security update. 

I remember reading that some people were undecided about whether or not to download Android 12 on their eligible phone. I was one of the undecided after reading about problems that members of the community were having after the update. I am here to tell you that opting out of the stable release is not an option. 

When it comes to your eligible phone (and it will), it gives you the option of the time of installation. 2 a.m. is the default installation time, but you can delay it to a time that is better. I opted for 11 a.m. because that fit my schedule better. I have no idea if it will install when the phone is turned off.

My choice of 11 a.m. was considered the first postponement after which it would install automatically (a message to that effect). So if I changed the time again, that would be the second postponement. I am allowed 3 postponements to install the update. There is no choice of "if" only of "when."

So the update installed at 11 a.m. on schedule. So far, I haven't had a lot of problems with it. There have been a few minor adjustments, but I am overall happy with it.

1. The battery percentage still shows.
2. The keyboard works well with no lag (I use a stylus).
3. The screen is responsive. 
4. The fingerprint scanner under the glass does a better job of reading - not as many fails and those are due to my finger not being positioned correctly. 
5. My Android 11 themes are usable. The themes that are not optimized should not be selected when you want to make changes in the App Drawer. That's not something that is done frequently. 
6. I cannot comment on Bluetooth pairing because I don't use it very often. 

So bottom line is this. When the update comes to your phone, be ready for it. Your experience with the new update will depend on a lot of factors--model, carrier, locked or unlocked, settings. One thing I did while waiting for the update was to go to the settings and cleared the cache for each individual app. I don't know an easier way to do it for all apps at once or if it helped my experience after the update.
6 Replies
Solution
user149533at39
Honored Contributor
Options
Android 12
One quick way to clear up the apps
Backup phone
Execute a Factory Reset
Restore

Though most folks cringe at the thought of a Factory Reset
😁
0 Likes
BryanMars
Galaxy
Options
Android 12
I tried it once, and I lost my social media chats.
0 Likes
LindaK20
Galaxy
Options
Android 12
I have done a factory reset before. I had to do it after my S7 acted up after opening a Happy Birthday email from a trusted source. I thought it had been infected, so I didn't do a backup. I had everything important on my computer and SD card. A factory reset resolved the issue, but I started over on game stats. Factory reset is equivalent to major surgery - to be done when all else fails.
0 Likes
user734264fo532
Honored Contributor
Options
Android 12

The key is to do a backup first, then restore after
0 Likes
ArtDesk
Supernova
Options
Android 12
So true, I have my phone laid out and tweaked for optimal use and perfection.
0 Likes
ArtDesk
Supernova
Options
Android 12
I have over 250 apps on my phone, lol. A lot of clearing. And, already got the notification just letting it do nothing. I really don't want it. Got it on my tablet and noticed a few glitches. I just want the security patch. Wish I knew how Bluetooth performs i use it all the time for earbuds and watch syncing.
0 Likes