JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

How to Change Text notification sound

(Topic created: 01-28-2022 07:48 PM)
Mikey31
Asteroid
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

I've spent the last 30 minutes trying to change the Message notification sound. I've found many articles and forum messages that describe how to change the setting but apparently they have recently changed things as the options are not what is described. 

I have found how to change the notification sound for a conversation which works but I want to set change the default message notification sound.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
sQualie
Constellation
Options

It's deeply buried:

Settings > Notifications > More (under Recently Sent) > Messages > Notification Categories > New Message > Sound

It's like they really don't want you to set a custom sound to the system text message app, but setting a custom txt msg sound to a specific contact is super easy and intuitive.  Makes zero sense.

View solution in context

11 Replies
user365170tdJ15
Honored Contributor
Options
Open Settings app

Tap Sounds and Vibration

See my screenshot for the different Notification settings for sound and Vibration ... I've highlighted

S21 Unlocked on A12.4 BULH update with Jan 1 Security patch
.Screenshot_20220128-221256_Settings-01_22286_1643429613.jpg
0 Likes
Mikey31
Asteroid
Options

Mrs-Cay, that does not change incoming text notification sound.

Maahes
Constellation
Options
Same problem. Mrs-Cay, the screenshot only applies to notification sounds, it does not change the text message sound. For me, the notification sound works as intended and plays the correct "icq" sound, but text messages still make an annoying pewpewpew lazer sound.
user365170tdJ15
Honored Contributor
Options
Changes it for me ... sorry it doesn't work for others ...
0 Likes
Mikey31
Asteroid
Options

I wonder if it carrier or version related. I'm using AT&T, Android 12 and Messages version 13.0.10.81

0 Likes
user365170tdJ15
Honored Contributor
Options
I have an S21 Unlocked, running A12.4

with BULH update and Jan 1 Security patch

... using an AT&T network SIM card
0 Likes
Solution
sQualie
Constellation
Options

It's deeply buried:

Settings > Notifications > More (under Recently Sent) > Messages > Notification Categories > New Message > Sound

It's like they really don't want you to set a custom sound to the system text message app, but setting a custom txt msg sound to a specific contact is super easy and intuitive.  Makes zero sense.

Mikey31
Asteroid
Options

Thanks so much, I just don't understand why they would hide this feature commonly used feature so well now.

0 Likes
Members_WZftBqq
Astronaut
Options

Much obliged!  Works for me: Samsung Galaxy A52, Messages version 13.1.22.1 on T-Mobile

0 Likes