Original topic:

No Android Auto after February 22 security patch

(Topic created: 03-12-2022 07:26 AM)
The_Chief
Galaxy
Options
Android 12

I'm at a loss over this Android Auto problem. In early February it worked perfectly on my Galaxy Z Fold 3 with my Ford Explorer's Sync 3. Now, connecting my phone simply charges it. It would be easy for some to suspect the cable went bad - but if I disconnect my phone and immediately connect my wife's Galaxy Note 10+, Android Auto suddenly works perfectly. Same One UI 4/Android 12, same cable, same vehicle! I reconnect my Z Fold 3... and nothing but charging. 

I cleared cache and data in the Android Auto app and completely unpaired my phone from the vehicle. Started over from nothing. I connected my phone to the vehicle and... charging only! I have NO idea what could have caused this, other than the February security patch broke it on many newer devices.

This is an issue that Samsung needs to resolve urgently, as many of us rely on Android Auto to navigate safely. Engineers need only look at the difference in code between the February security patch for the Z Fold 3, for example, and the same patch for the Note 10+. Whatever broke Android Auto is, I believe, hiding in those few lines of code.

UPDATE: I removed the "solved" prefix because it isn't.

The plot thickens! Android Auto is shutting down, but only the app for use on the phone... not the vehicle screen:

That puts the ball back in Samsung's court - it's on Sammy to explain why newer model flagship devices have lost the ability to use Android Auto, while older phones are unaffected. This is May 3 - I just installed the May security patch. STILL no Android Auto with my Z Fold 3 connected to my vehicle. To navigate this morning, my wife connected her Note 10+ to my vehicle.

This is so wrong, Samsung! It should be an easy fix... kindly stop ignoring your best customers!

14 Replies
Yamialex224
Supernova
Options
Android 12
At least you got the patch. My phone the s22 is still on January patch
0 Likes
The_Chief
Galaxy
Options
Android 12
If you are on the January patch, does Android Auto work for you? Do you have a vehicle that can connect to the app?
0 Likes
Yamialex224
Supernova
Options
Android 12
I don't have a vehicle and I never used android auto
0 Likes
The_Chief
Galaxy
Options
Android 12
Ah, okay
0 Likes
user8jF5euy8TR
Astronaut
Options
Android 12
I'm getting so frustrated with Samsung! I rely on Android auto and it hasnt worked right since the last update
The_Chief
Galaxy
Options
Android 12
SAMSUNG, are you reading this?
0 Likes
The_Chief
Galaxy
Options
Android 12
Here we are, five weeks away from the February security patch that broke Android Auto's connection to vehicles on many newer devices. Hopefully the March security patch, being rolled out with One UI 4.1, will resolve this issue.
0 Likes
The_Chief
Galaxy
Options
Android 12
It didn't. 😡
0 Likes
Demwin11
Constellation
Options
Android 12
I have the samsung s22 ultra and I gave up on them fixing it. I bought a samsung A03 prepaid for 60 dollars and 30 dollars month from atat to use for android audio. It works great and sad because 60 dollars phone works better than a 1400 dollars phone.