Original topic:

S21 plus Android 12 Windows 10 not seeing photos on phone

(Topic created: 11-20-2021 09:24 AM)
JohnP146
Astronaut
Options
Android 12
After receiving the Android 12 update my windows 10 computer no longer detects my photos on my phone. Is this a known issue? Are the any work arounds to fix the issue?
76 Replies
userJEKCRZyjM8
Constellation
Options
Android 12

SAMSUNG TEAM,

PLEASE GET US A FIX SOON, ELSE PLEASE SEND A PUSH TO UNINSTALL THE LATEST UPDATE IF THAT'S CAUSING THE ISSUE. IT IS TOO LONG WAITING

bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Android 12

There are lots of reasons why this might not work.  First, make sure Windows is on the latest update.  Next Wipe your cache Partition. Set "Files Transfer as your default connection in Windows (control panel->Autoplay)

ScreenHunter_03 Dec. 07 10.09.jpg

ScreenHunter_02 Dec. 07 09.54.jpg

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3 (VZW)
JohnP146
Astronaut
Options
Android 12
I'll have to try it later. Thanks for your input.
0 Likes
a1smith
Constellation
Options
Android 12

I wiped cache partition on phone and ensured that my S21 is set to "Open device to view files (File Explorer)".  I also ensured the phone was set to "Transferring files/Android Auto".   Still, I am only able to see folders on my phone, they all say they are empty.  I also tried setting phone to "Transferring images" with the same result.

I checked Windows 10 Updates and it was up to date but it was on Version 20H2.  So, I updated to 21H2.  Now, it's worse!  I see S21 in File Explorer and I see Internal storage but now it is empty and I don't even see the folders I did before.

Next, I uninstalled device AND driver so that Windows would completely reinstall device AND driver.  That didn't help either.

I tried several different USB cables and also different USB ports on the computer.  No change.

Then I tried another computer with Win10 21H2 with same result.  I installed Samsung Dex on that computer and phone works fine with it but still can't access photos on phone.

Please fix this problem - maybe you have to coordinate with Microsoft but it needs to be fixed.

-----------

Also, I tried MTP USB Device driver fix suggested by DK511.  The driver installs but it gets replaced as soon as I plug in phone.  If I install it when the phone is plugged in it seems that the old driver keeps being used until it's unplugged since there is no change.

0 Likes
DK511
Constellation
Options
Android 12

I found a way to make it work, but not permanently.

We have 4 S21. All were updated. 3 are fine but 1 has this empty folder issue.

What I have: no Developer Mode, no USB Debugging on, plug in to computer and select USB Settings as Transferring files/Autoplay. I can see folders like DCIM but they are all empty.

After trying various things, I randomly did this:

• Plug into computer.
  • Window -> Search -> Device Manager -> Portable Device -> Right click on the phone and select Update Driver -> Select Browse My Computer -> Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer -> Select 1 of the "MTP USB Device" -> Next to install (I attach a photo)Screenshot 2021-12-07 211425.png
  • Then the folders finally show content.

However, need to repeat these steps the next time you plug phone into computer again. It's not permanent. But at least it works.

I hope this would work for someone else. Good luck.

JohnP146
Astronaut
Options
Android 12
I'll have to try it later and see what happens. Thanks for sharing.
0 Likes
Members_EpUPkHo
Astronaut
Options
Android 12

I have the exact issue and I am surprised Samsung is not providing any solution. I followed your instruction and it's working now, thanks for the tip! 

0 Likes
LucP
Astronaut
Options
Android 12

That worked for me as well. It is definitively an issue with the new Android OS as I have the same problem on both WIndows 10 and Windows 11. It is too bad we hvae to do that device manager trick everytime but at least, it works!

Thanks!

0 Likes
user2hNMnmCDdT
Constellation
Options
Android 12

I am having the same problem (for a while now) and it is driving me insane.  I need to get these photos / videos off my camera and it is proving to be impossible.

I've tried everything mentioned here already (windows is updated, I've cleared the cache on my phone, gone into the Developers section in the utilites..) nothing is working and it's super frustrating.  Anybody have any other ideas??

0 Likes
usery7yzEzVNRr
Asteroid
Options
Android 12

Ok I finally got it to work. I have tired everything else I could find and nothing would let me see my photos from DCIM>Camera

I ended up using Smart Switch for windows. click on the 3 dots on the top right corner. Then " Reinstall device driver" if your phone is connected it asks you to unplug it. My was at the time. 

After it was finished I plugged my phone back in and I could finally see my photos again. Give it a try and maybe it will work for you as well.