JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

[SOLVED]Force 60hz refresh rate for apps in Adaptive Mode

(Topic created: 06-11-2022 06:32 AM)
Philos-kun
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I cannot find any way to force apps like TikTok, Youtube or Gallery to switch automatically to 60fps (60Hz) to save battery.

My previous phone had an option to set which apps can be forced to run at 60FPS to save battery life and, with a 4200 mah battery, I could easily get 1 hour = 10%-13% of battery consumption, unlike my recently purchased Galaxy S21 Ultra (around 1 hour = 17%-20% with Adaptive Display), which is odd, considering these app only show videos at maximum 60FPS and the Adaptive mode takes around 2-5 seconds to switch into 60Hz (tried and tested using Developer Mode), which is not optimal considering the fact you scroll a lot in this apps and 120hz for just scrolling isn't worth the battery side of things.

I tried running TikTok with Game Launcher but it still launches the app at 120Hz.

Is there any way to use Game Launcher to force 60FPS without manually changing this setting?

Is there any way to request this feature to be added in a future update?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Philos-kun
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

SOLUTION:

I got help outside the formus and managed to fix this issue using Bixby Routines.

I'll leave this pinned here so people can do the same. Still, I find perplexing how Samsung doesn't even list this as a solution to the problem and it isn't even an option at the Adaptive Display menu:

1.-Go to Setting and search Bixby Routines

2.-Activate Bixby Routines and accept all terms and conditions

3.-At the bottom of the screen, click on "Add Routine", next, click on the "If" (+) sign and look for "App opened"

4.- Select all your video apps here

5.-After selecting, go back and click "Then" (+) sign

6.-Search for "Motion Smoothness" and click on "Standard"

This automatically changes the refresh rate to 60Hz when using the app. 

Once you switch or close the app, it automatically kicks 120Hz, however, it takes around 1 to 3 seconds.Screenshot_20220615-095150_Bixby_Routines.jpg

View solution in context

4 Replies
Tidbitty
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S21
Do you have game booster installed? I am unsure if the 48hz setting will force apps not flagged as games put into the launcher will lock at 48.
Philos-kun
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Yes, in fact, I added Tiktok and Youtube and switched on the 48hz mode, still, when I open them from the Game Launcher app, these still run at 120Hz and it does not even load the Game Booster options to begin with.

Tidbitty
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S21
My guess then it has to do with internal app flags. If tiktok flagged itself as a game the app would see it and work accordingly.
Solution
Philos-kun
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

SOLUTION:

I got help outside the formus and managed to fix this issue using Bixby Routines.

I'll leave this pinned here so people can do the same. Still, I find perplexing how Samsung doesn't even list this as a solution to the problem and it isn't even an option at the Adaptive Display menu:

1.-Go to Setting and search Bixby Routines

2.-Activate Bixby Routines and accept all terms and conditions

3.-At the bottom of the screen, click on "Add Routine", next, click on the "If" (+) sign and look for "App opened"

4.- Select all your video apps here

5.-After selecting, go back and click "Then" (+) sign

6.-Search for "Motion Smoothness" and click on "Standard"

This automatically changes the refresh rate to 60Hz when using the app. 

Once you switch or close the app, it automatically kicks 120Hz, however, it takes around 1 to 3 seconds.Screenshot_20220615-095150_Bixby_Routines.jpg