JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

"Messenger is displaying over other apps" issue

(Topic created: 04-15-2022 09:12 AM)
Struglen
Astronaut
Options
Samsung Apps and Services
since the March 18th update; it's has been impossible to remove the "Messenger is displaying over other apps" notification from the notification bar.

(insight into why this happens is; when a user long presses the notification > opens the 'notification' settings menu > attempts to remove the notification > the chat head disappears; therefore the instance in which the chat head is causing the notification is now gone and you are removing the notification for an instance that is no longer taking place or in other words a "positive feedback loop" {I.e. removing a notification that doesn't exist; once leaving the notification settings screen; and pulling down the notification panel the message "Messenger is displaying over other apps" persists})

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Vysionous
Cosmic Ray
Options
Go to developer options and turn on allow screen overlay on settings. Then disable system notification for messenger bubbles. Turn off the overlay in developer options after.

Took me a good minute to figure that one out, it was never a problem turning that off in the past but thankfully that method works. FYI if you leave chat head on screen for a long time you'll notice messenger background usage skyrockets. Prior to Android 12 this didn't occur but now it seems to be a noticeable battery drain.

View solution in context

15 Replies
Struglen
Astronaut
Options
screenshots; off the issueScreenshot_20220415-095815_One UI Home_1384_1650039315.jpgScreenshot_20220415-101418_Settings.jpg
user9GlnSkWkJQ
Cosmic Ray
Options
Sorry, but I'm not understanding, from the above screenshots, why toggling on or off the auto-rotate works to affect the bubble notifications.
0 Likes
Tom6068
Supernova
Options
Is that a 3rd party app?
0 Likes
DannyBoy91
Galaxy
Options
You want to turn off the Bubble notification feature to get it to stop saying that.
0 Likes
Solution
Vysionous
Cosmic Ray
Options
Go to developer options and turn on allow screen overlay on settings. Then disable system notification for messenger bubbles. Turn off the overlay in developer options after.

Took me a good minute to figure that one out, it was never a problem turning that off in the past but thankfully that method works. FYI if you leave chat head on screen for a long time you'll notice messenger background usage skyrockets. Prior to Android 12 this didn't occur but now it seems to be a noticeable battery drain.
Struglen
Astronaut
Options
thanks for the advice; and I did not know that! thanks for the information.

(hopefully they get it addressed)
0 Likes
Vysionous
Cosmic Ray
Options
It's something to do with native bubbles in Android 12. You can disable chat head and use that instead but it feels more cumbersome IMO, unless you are using your phone with your left hand. Native bubbles also don't retain the position last used on-screen once cleared. There's also an adb method to get rid of overlay message if my prior instructions didn't work for you.

O and I had to turn on the messenger notification that chat heads were active otherwise after a while I would not receive messages until I unlocked my phone. Saw that was off in your screenshot so I figured I'd mention that.
userlyjyV7Cnyd
Astronaut
Options

Man, you are the super star! I lost hope I could find a solution for this, but decided to give it another try and found your answer. Thanks!

0 Likes
user04CQq1UWPD
Astronaut
Options

Thank you!! This has been annoying me for the longest time and now I've finally fixed it! 

0 Likes