cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mike_coreit
Asteroid

Issue booting from USB device

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi I have a NP780Z5E-T01UK laptop and the hard drive has failed. I have replaced the hard drive, and I am trying to re-install the OS however there is no built-in optical drive so I have to use a USB device.

The issue is that the BIOS does not detect any USB optical drive or memory stick and only lists the hard drive as a boot option.

I have turned off secure boot and enabled CSM but still see the same issue. Is there any way to resolve this?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mike_coreit
Asteroid

Re: Issue booting from USB device

JUMP TO SOLUTION

At the boot override menu in the BIOS it just doesn't give any option other than the hard drive, even when the CD drive is plugged in.

Edit: I have found a solution. I can begin the installation from a different PC then swap the hard drive back in the laptop. It is strange as the USB ports seem to function fine after install, must be a defect in Samsung's BIOS.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Did you purchase this device in the US? 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Neutron Star

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I assume you already made a Bootable USB stick  ,  and put that in the Laptop and tried? correct?

Once the USB stick is there you may see the option in the BIOS to boot from it. See this video as it may help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V95s-vxZL3k

If every option to boot from USB fails remember you can get a expternal DVD drive for less than $30. (look at Amazon). 

Superman on Galaxy S7 SM-G930T, T-Mobile, Baseband:G930TUVY3APIA
To OP: click "✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Boot from Usb flash drive Change the boot setting for boot from usb flash drive for flash bios. This video Created by harry from Aires comunication for more information check Email:info@airescomunication.com http://airescomunication.com/ http://tech.airescomunication.com/ Compra online ...
mike_coreit
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungDarius This was purchased in the UK

@Superman I have tried with a bootable USB stick and external DVD drive (both work in different machines) but the BIOS in the laptop does not give any option for USB boot

Neutron Star

JUMP TO SOLUTION
What was the result with external CD drive? I assume laptop allows booting from external CD.

Superman on Galaxy S7 SM-G930T, T-Mobile, Baseband:G930TUVY3APIA
To OP: click "✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

mike_coreit
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

At the boot override menu in the BIOS it just doesn't give any option other than the hard drive, even when the CD drive is plugged in.

Edit: I have found a solution. I can begin the installation from a different PC then swap the hard drive back in the laptop. It is strange as the USB ports seem to function fine after install, must be a defect in Samsung's BIOS.