cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Please help
Asteroid

Notebook 9 15" NP900X5L-K02US "all boot options are tried" and "critical process died"

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I purchased the Notebook 9 15" NP900X5L-K02US around July 2016, and in recent months have had issues with booting and the computer freezing and crashing. The most frequent errors are the black screen "All boot options are tried" and the blue screen "critical process died" or both. I've sent my laptop in for service twice already. I'm thinking I'm only seeing these issues now because I hadn't used the laptop very much until I got back to classes this spring semester.

The first time they performed a recovery (I was directed to perform the recovery over the phone, but the recovery failed halfway through). The same issues came up a week after I recieved it back, so the second time they replaced the motherboard.

I just recieved the laptop back again last week, and after a few days the same things are happening again, and I'm about ready to throw this $1200 machine out the window because I can't even browse the internet without fear of it crashing. I haven't called customer service yet about the issue this time because they haven't been helpful the last two times (the second time I wanted to get service on it, the rep told me to perform a recovery, even though that was already done the first time. I had to demand the laptop be taken in for service).

I'm extremely frustrated with both the laptop and the service - it feels like Samsung is just waiting for the laptop to age out of warrenty (which I have 2 months left of). I really wanted to like this laptop - it's a perfect size, weight, and layout for me, but if I can't use it then what's even the point?

As a side note, the service emails always advertise a service app (Samsung Cares I think) that doesn't seem to exist in the Google Play store?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Notebook 9 15" NP900X5L-K02US "all boot options are tried" and "critical pro

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I would hope that this would be the last repair needed.  We could see what we might be able to do if you are still having this issue after the warranty.  I just finished with school so I totally understand your pain.  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

10 REPLIES 10
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Notebook 9 15" NP900X5L-K02US "all boot options are tried" and "critical process died"

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Would you happen to have any transaction numbers that we could look into?  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please help
Asteroid

Re: Notebook 9 15" NP900X5L-K02US "all boot options are tried" and "critical pro

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yeah I have servict ticket # 4141245217 for the first time and # 4141626212 for the second time.

Please help
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Update on laptop: its been continually crashing on me with the blue screen quickly flashing either "critical process died" or something about "...unexpected..." (it flashes too quickly to read). Then after it automatically starts again, it will either go to the black "all boot options are tried" or it will be able to get to normal startup. There's no clear cause for crashing or even timing.

But the strange thing that happened just earlier was that I got home from class this afternoon to find my laptop, which I'd put to sleep and secured in a laptop bag, had turned itself on while the lid was closed and was showing the black "all boot options are tried" screen and the fan was running loudly to cool down the laptop, which had gotten very hot all over. I force powered it off and let it cool a while before trying to turn it on again. The battery apparently ran out, and I had to plug it in before turning it on, and it seems to be (temporarily) functional again, now at a normal temperature.

Now I'm just wondering if I can switch to another model or something because I'm getting sick of even looking at this laptop.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Is there a particular application that is causing the computer to crash?

Please help
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Not that I can tell. The major programs I've downloaded are Chrome, Adobe Creative Cloud (for Photoshop and Bridge), and iTunes, but even just using Chome will cause it to crash. This time I got the computer back, it crashed even before I downloaded iTunes or CC. I don't keep any personal files (music, photos, docs, etc) anymore since I'll probably lose them anyways.

I've also noticed that I can't even put the computer to sleep because it'll just restart itself while it's supposed to be in sleep mode, or crash right after waking it up again.

Last night, I was watching shows on my laptop through Chrome when it crashed in the middle of a video, but what was strange was a weird low tone sound and the "critical process died" screen, except the screen was orange and warped looking (instead of the usual blue screen). It worked normally again after that and I finished watching things and put the computer to sleep with 5 Chrome tabs up. This morning I woke the laptop up with it looking like the computer restarted while in sleep mode with the lid down.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You may need to ship it in again.  They service center would have to determine that  the computer can't be repaired.  At that point, we could then look into other options.  

Please help
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If turning it in for service again is my only option, then I'll go ahead and do that, but how can I know that it won't just be returned to me with the same problems? If these same issues keep coming up past the warrenty end date, will I be charged for service?

You have to understand that I'm extremely sick and tired of sending this laptop in only to have the same problems when I get it back, and that I'm also losing this laptop for large chunks of time when I need to use it for classes this semester - not to mention the time it takes to set it up all over again and download the software I need.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I would hope that this would be the last repair needed.  We could see what we might be able to do if you are still having this issue after the warranty.  I just finished with school so I totally understand your pain.  

userkrdXRmMcO9
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This laptop is worthless, the same issue, I will never buy anything directly from Samsung again. The Samsung series 9 is a complete failure. I had the same problem, no solution was given to me. Till this day I get the blue screen of death randomly and no one knows the solution. Samsung sold us a very disfuctional computer, no wonder best buy didn't carry it.