cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kochika
Constellation

Notebook 9 Pro USB C charging issue

Help! I keep getting this warning from Samsung Settings when I try charging my Notebook 9 Pro (15") via USB C.

"Auxiliary power is connected. Please connect a rated adapter because the system can be discharged by using more than 10 W"

The notification is worrisome since this is written in the manual.

Charge the battery according to the instructions in the manual.
Failure to do so may cause an explosion or fire.

The last thing I want is a bomb on my lap! I also don't want the battery to discharge since that would be counterproductive.

If anyone has any information or has experienced this problem, I would like to hear about it. There aren't any clues in the manual and not much information online.

For now, the laptop appears to be charging according to Windows. I'm at 26% battery and it will take 2 hrs 43 mins, so it is very slow compared to the proprietary charger that came with the laptop. 

It's unclear what "rated adapter" means for the Notebook 9 Pro. I've tried a variety  of chargers. (30/27/15, 905 watts) There was a notification in all cases. It's the same for an external battery as well. 

Since it's annoying to get the notification, I've turned off the notification banner to keep it from popping up. I still keep the notifications in the action center just in case there are different notifications I need to know about.

3 REPLIES 3
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Notebook 9 Pro USB C charging issue

We would recommend only using a Samsung certified charger to prevent damage to the laptop. You can find replacement parts on SamsungParts.com

Highlighted
kochika
Constellation

There is not a "Samsung certified charger" for the USB-C charging option. In the first place, the laptop is advertised as being able to charge through USB-C via a portable battery or a cell phone charger.
SmartSelectImage_2019-03-22-23-03-55.png

While it appears to be working, my main concern is that it shouldn't be giving me an error message

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Typically the Samsung Certified Charger you mentioned is simply the charger that came with the device. Samsung does not recommend using any other chargers for regular use. If the unit recognizes a charger has been connected that does not use the same power ratings as the laptop accepts, then this error message appears. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.