cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ozhin
Constellation

Notebook 9 Spin display going to sleep in tablet mode

JUMP TO SOLUTION

When I fold the computer all the way back to tablet mode, suddenly the computer goes to sleep and the screen goes black. I have to fold it back to other modes in order to wake the computer from sleep mode. It wont wake from sleep mode. So, the tablet mode is completely unusable. All the drivers are up to date, and I recovered the system to see if it gets fixed, but no chance. I think the problem might have to do with the display driver from Samsung because when I disable it, it works fine. My friend's unit also has the same problem. The problem doesn't happen right away. Sometimes after a few seconds, and sometimes after a few minutes. It only happens when the computer is rotated all the way to be used as a tablet. so, any recommendations? Or anyone having the same problem?

Regards

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mjk1
Asteroid

Re: Notebook 9 Spin display going to sleep in tablet mode

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ozhin,  I have solution/fix for the screen display Tablet mode problem.   See below:

I tried all of the steps plus factory image restore using the Samsung Recovery utility AND followed all of the instructions provided to me via email from Samsung technical support.

SOLUTION / FIX FOR Samsung Notebook 9 SPIN:   I initiated a service request/trouble ticket with Samsung support via the USA online website.  They requested model, serial number, purchase receipt and I uploaded a video of this problem to demonstrate that my newly purchased Samsung Notebook 9 SPIN does not work in tablet mode with the display screen rotated 360 degrees -- a primary reason design feature as to why I purchased this Notebook computer.  As soon the display is rotated 360 degrees to Tablet Mode, the computer turns OFF.

Fortunately I work and live abroad in South Korea.   I took the New Notebook 9 SPIN to a Samsung Service Center, explained the problem along with all information including what information I had already provided to Samsung support in the USA via the website.   The Service Center took my new Notebook computer and quickly (in a couple of minutes) diagnosed the problem as a faulty sensor and that the display needed to be replaced.   Samsung technical support stated that because of the faulty sensor,  when rotating my new Samsung Notebook 9 SPIN display 360 degrees, the Notebook acts the same as if the computer screen was closed and turns the computer OFF.   Samsung service center replaced the entire display screen which included a new sensor and magically the Notebook 9 SPIN now works as designed when rotating the display 360 degrees into Tablet mode.

Please distribute this information as widely as possible on your website and through your moderator staff as the FIX/SOLUTION for this problem.   There are at least 2 other customers on this website that have the exact same problem as mine with a brand new purchased Samsung Notebook 9 SPIN computer.

17 REPLIES 17
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ello,
We are very sorry to hear this. Can we please have the model number of your tablet? Thank you. ^Drew

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Ozhin
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ozhin
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Samsung Notebook 9 Spin NP940X3L-K01US
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The notebook requires service. Please send me a private message, providing the serial number, your street address, e-mail, two telephone numbers, and a copy of the original bill of sale. Thank you. ^Amanda

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

mjk1
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have this same problem.   Model NP940X3L-K01US just purchased 31 July 2016 from Best Buy.     When I rotate the display fully to tablet mode, the display and laptop turn OFF with black screen, are no longer interactive, and make the tablet mode useless.   Partial rotation of display to "Tent mode" works fine.    I'm very interested to know the solution to this problem.  

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sorry to hear this. mjk1. Did you try all the steps that Ozhin tried? 

mjk1
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes,  I tried all of the steps plus factory image restore using the Samsung Recovery utility AND followed all of the instructions provided to me via email from Samsung technical support.

SOLUTION / FIX FOR Samsung Notebook 9 SPIN:   I initiated a service request/trouble ticket with Samsung support via the USA online website.  They requested model, serial number, purchase receipt and I uploaded a video of this problem to demonstrate that my newly purchased Samsung Notebook 9 SPIN does not work in tablet mode with the display screen rotated 360 degrees -- a primary reason design feature as to why I purchased this Notebook computer.  As soon the display is rotated 360 degrees to Tablet Mode, the computer turns OFF.

Fortunately I work and live abroad in South Korea.   I took the New Notebook 9 SPIN to a Samsung Service Center, explained the problem along with all information including what information I had already provided to Samsung support in the USA via the website.   The Service Center took my new Notebook computer and quickly (in a couple of minutes) diagnosed the problem as a faulty sensor and that the display needed to be replaced.   Samsung technical support stated that because of the faulty sensor,  when rotating my new Samsung Notebook 9 SPIN display 360 degrees, the Notebook acts the same as if the computer screen was closed and turns the computer OFF.   Samsung service center replaced the entire display screen which included a new sensor and magically the Notebook 9 SPIN now works as designed when rotating the display 360 degrees into Tablet mode.

Please distribute this information as widely as possible on your website and through your moderator staff as the FIX/SOLUTION for this problem.   There are at least 2 other customers on this website that have the exact same problem as mine with a brand new purchased Samsung Notebook 9 SPIN computer

Ozhin
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You exactly have the same problem as me, and I stil didn't find a solution till now. The laptop is basically useless in tablet mode. I wish Samsung could do something about this. I can't return the laptops since I live outside the US.

mjk1
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ozhin,  I have solution/fix for the screen display Tablet mode problem.   See below:

I tried all of the steps plus factory image restore using the Samsung Recovery utility AND followed all of the instructions provided to me via email from Samsung technical support.

Please distribute this information as widely as possible on your website and through your moderator staff as the FIX/SOLUTION for this problem.   There are at least 2 other customers on this website that have the exact same problem as mine with a brand new purchased Samsung Notebook 9 SPIN computer.