Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iros0019
Constellation

Opening issue

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello everyone!
I am new to this website and am seeking some advice.. (also forgive me if this isn't in the right spot, let me know and i'll move it right away)

I just recently started using Windows 10 on my Samsung laptop. But after upgrading Windows i cannot open .mdf file. I never had this problem with my last OS.

Any suggestions ideas would be great.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
henry729
Astronaut

Re: Opening issue

JUMP TO SOLUTION

MDF is the extension used by SQL Server for SQL databases.

You’d need to install some version of SQL Server, then re-attach the MDF file. However, if you don’t have the matching LDF file (the log file), you don’t have the whole database.

Because of this, an MDF file is not the correct way to transfer databases between servers. Instead, you need to make a backup using SQL Server Manager, then restore the backup on the other server.

If you need a free version of SQL Server, you can use SQL Server Express.

For more information on how to open mdf file take a look here: https://www.openfiletool.com/mdfopen.html

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Went ahead and moved it over to our computers section for you. Smiley Happy As far as the issue goes, can you tell me what the model code of your laptop is and what the previous version you upgraded from was? (Like 7 or 8.1?)

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

henry729
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

MDF is the extension used by SQL Server for SQL databases.

You’d need to install some version of SQL Server, then re-attach the MDF file. However, if you don’t have the matching LDF file (the log file), you don’t have the whole database.

Because of this, an MDF file is not the correct way to transfer databases between servers. Instead, you need to make a backup using SQL Server Manager, then restore the backup on the other server.

If you need a free version of SQL Server, you can use SQL Server Express.

For more information on how to open mdf file take a look here: https://www.openfiletool.com/mdfopen.html

View solution in original post