cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userVIE6HVe0NY
Asteroid

Samsung V2 Plus, 2 in 1 Chromebook Screen Flickering

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I purchased a brand new laptop from Amazon's Samsung retailer a week ago. Please pay attention: this screen flickering is very infrequent and is typically once every several hours, and lasts for a mere 1/25th of a second. I requested a return on Amazon, and it seems the amazon staff were able to expedite a replacement.

I currently have 2 Samsung Chromebooks in my possession. However, I decided to request to return BOTH now. I troubleshooted for dozens of hours and contacted all of the technical staff possible. I was PLEADING for anyone to tell me if this is just a 'normal flaw' and won't affect longevity of the device, however even the Samsung tech support suggested themselves that it was a hardware issue. I doubt this, but I'm not the expert and I chose to return them. I have owned Samsung phones, laptops and computers before and have never seen this issue. I updated Chrome OS and power washed them both. Still the same issue. Again, remember, this issue is VERY INFREQUENT. However, Samsung Tech staff are completely unaware of any 'non issue' or 'commonplace flaw' or 'normal flaw' such as the one I have. Because I hate wasting anyone's time, I decided to film myself using the laptops for HOURS each day with a gopro. It wasn't easy because it is so infrequent, my gopro would die before I even get to capture it.

It seems to occur while scrolling, but i'm not the expert and samsung themselves suggested it is probably a hardware issue and they have NO report of this model having a 'non issue'/'normal flaw' such as this VERY INFREQUENT flickering. This flickering does not affect my usage or performance, and i DO NOT MIND AT ALL. However, I have seen people where IT DOES affect usage, and they can't use it at all. I won't bite the bullet. I hope my videos provide valuable feedback to the engineers, but I was extremely frusterated due to the lack of information. These laptops should have been tested or simply verbally addressed/acknowledged and perhaps a further correspondence as to what technicality is causing it.

Basically i have 2 brand new Samsung V2 Plus 2 in 1 chromebooks that have this issue. If I test 10 more, will they have the same issue, probably. This is why someone needs to sit down and use one for several hours and see it for themselves. Testing it for 15 minutes won't be sufficient to detect this problem unless you get lucky.

Laptop #1 : https://youtu.be/Kdw-cZmaptc  (blurred text because the website is inappropriate).

Laptop #2: https://youtu.be/Z21jFUlvlLg

Model: XE250QAB

It seems to occur on any google chrome website or android app. I'm not going to sit hours looking at the built in settings or desktop waiting for it to happen and capture it on camera. If you blink you will probably miss it. The first video is the 1st chromebook. The second video is the 2nd chromebook. I had the 2nd chromebook for merely 6 hours and was able to capture it on camera.

I would keep the chromebook but Samsung has no correspondence to suggest that it is, what i suspect, is a 'normal flaw' which I completely don't mind!!! BUT, there is no such correspondence, and the only thing that was suggested by Samsung techs was that it is "probably hardware" issue.

I have made a post in the front page

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Tablets/Samsung-V2-Plus-2-in-1-Screen-flicker-IS-IT-NORMAL/m-p/7...

I am willing to further work with Samsung support. I am willing to provide the FULL unedited videos which are 13 minutes and 8 minutes long each. I am willing to provide any other further details.

I have the reference number from my last interaction with Samsung IT in regards to my chromebooks. I have the amazon information and my google accounts to provide proof of BOTH chromebooks in my possession. I have already requested 2 return labels and probably will return them both to a UPS center in 3 days.

Pretty frusterated but I really like this specific chromebook build so hopefully I am able to help out. So far I haven't seen anywhere online an issue as infrequent as mine, only some that are much severe which render it useless. However the 2 that I have are 100% functional even with this screen flicker. I think I have done my part and will return them. Hopefully this issue is addressed. What if I kept buying chromebooks and they ALL had this issue? What if the issue is seriously not a problem, and is just a 'normal flaw' of the build, what if it will resolve in future chrome updates? However, NONE of these questions are addressed, and my problem is a complete mystery. 

I got the chromebook for university, as the computer labs get packed... I really LOVE LOVE LOVE this specific build. It is perfect, sturdy and fits all my needs. However, the fact that this one tiny issue is unaddressed, and I have spent 3 full working days trying to identify/troubleshoot/and even record the issue, is enough for me to wait until the issue is resolved or purchase a different laptop. 

It is probably a software issue, but this software issue is unaddressed. When it is solved, please send me a link to purchase one. I'll gladly test it and record it.

Please please please remember, even though the videos are 10-30 seconds long, it took HOURS for the issue to appear and get captured on camera. I would start the camera before each of my sessions. My camera died many times in the process as I don't have spare batteries.

I hope this is of use to the engineers. Seriously, I had SO MUCH FUN on this product, that the small flickering wouldn't be a concern if it was addressed as a non issue software problem / a truly hardware problem / or other type of problem.

Basically, I think the flickering WONT get worse, and that it is a 'normal flaw', however like I said and I want to emphasize, there is NO correspondence suggesting that is the case, and the consumer (me), am left to wonder.

Love this product! Hope this gets sorted. I would GLADLY BUY another one but until thin I will return both because I already dumped so much time and effort in building a significant case to be addressed. If I can't enjoy it, hopefully it gets addressed whether verbally or technically, so that others in the future can enjoy it. Again, awesome product. I'm just ANGRY (not really, just tired) because this chromebook is amazing, but this tiny hardly a problem flickering issue is giving me anxiety.

If I had a lot of money, i'd keep it and say whatever, maybe it truly is a non issue / normal flaw. If samsung gave me the laptop for free, even better, i can test it long term without any stress. But simply, I don't have the time or money to gamble. It may be my loss, or not, but I hope I helped Samsung today.

My mom and sister both have different laptops that are 2-5 years old and never have this issue. I have had a chromebook 4-6 years ago, never had this issue. I have owned computers for years, none of them had this issue. Honestly, it could even be a harddrive issue. Seems to be mostly when scrolling or moving the screen, but it isn't normal, but isn't addressed either.

Sorry for the long post, I just REALLY love this chromebook, I hope this post is of valuable information.

I will remain active to see the progression of this model chromebook XE250QAB.

Uploaded by Alex D on 2019-08-20.
Uploaded by Alex D on 2019-08-20.
1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userVIE6HVe0NY
Asteroid

Re: Samsung V2 Plus, 2 in 1 Chromebook Screen Flickering

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So i am not going to record the process of replicating it, because I am confident is has to do with screen movements from chrome browser or android apps. Aggressively scrolling does seem to cause it, but it has to be abrupt changes in speed from smooth/slow to fast/sharp. 

If Chrome Browser is windowed, the screen flickering only extends to the border of the browser, and not the entire display. I'm still unsure of what technicality is responsible for this issue.

I have tried recreating it in an android app game called "Clash of Clans" where it has happened to be before while using 2 finger scrolling, but clash of clans seems to take less CPU than the chrome browser surprisingly. Please keep that in mind.

5 REPLIES 5
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We appreciate the input and will be forwarding your findings accordingly.  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userVIE6HVe0NY
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'll try to get a few more videos of the issue. It happened so far on build 75 and 76 of Chrome OS, not sure if it occured on build 65 because I updated my newer replacement before I could test it for the flicker. Stable version. Powerwashed.

I've said it before, it does not affect the operability of the laptop what so ever, it is a MINOR 'nuisance' which I do not mind at all. However there is no information suggesting this is any kind of 'normal flaw' that I just have to deal with, however university is coming up and I might not have time to deal with it in the future. I truly wish that was the case. The build quality on these is amazing, and I've owned plenty of laptops and PCs in the past. Simply amazing laptops but this very infrequent issue is giving me a bit of anxiety. 

I tried clearing my browsing cache, history and cookies. It still occurs. Again, it is very infrequent that it doesn't bother me at all. It is difficult to capture on camera because of how infrequent it is. I have seen it on various websites that I haven't seen on my other devices, even my galaxy s4 phone. It seems to be while lightly scrolling, trying to replicate it by aggressively scrolling may or may not work. I'm not sure if it appears with a video playing with no user input at all. I will update. I did not get these products to test/review, but to use personally for university. I hope this is something that can be verbally or technically addressed. I feel extremely bad for wanting to return these, if money wasn't an issue I would keep them, but I hope my feedback is useful.

userVIE6HVe0NY
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey guys, so I set out to try to replicate it as much as I can. I read somewhere that google chrome browser was causing flickering on their MACINTOSH OS.... So I put chrome in windowed mode and lightly scrolled down, and swiftly scrolled back up, using 2 fingers on the touch pad. It is very obvious that the 'flicker' is only in browser and seems to be highly software related.

I am proud to say that I will be likely keeping this amazing laptop Smiley Happy I'll try to record it, and once I post it I will put is as the solution. It is a bit odd, I guess chrome browser is causing issues. It did happen in an android app too so it can't be only google chrome causing the flicker and it has to be product related.

userVIE6HVe0NY
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So i am not going to record the process of replicating it, because I am confident is has to do with screen movements from chrome browser or android apps. Aggressively scrolling does seem to cause it, but it has to be abrupt changes in speed from smooth/slow to fast/sharp. 

If Chrome Browser is windowed, the screen flickering only extends to the border of the browser, and not the entire display. I'm still unsure of what technicality is responsible for this issue.

I have tried recreating it in an android app game called "Clash of Clans" where it has happened to be before while using 2 finger scrolling, but clash of clans seems to take less CPU than the chrome browser surprisingly. Please keep that in mind.

userVIE6HVe0NY
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The issue appears while not scrolling at all too, but also by just typing in a text box as well.