cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
userKRlSdgTRWn
Asteroid

When will Samsung update BIOS for NP940X5N-X01US to protect against Meltdown / Spectre?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

When does Samsung plan on rolling out a BIOS update for NP940X5N-X01US to protect against Meltdown/Spectre? Intel has already completed development of the microcode for impacted systems, and has made that code available to equipment manufacturers (that includes Samsung) -- including for the 8th Gen Core i7: https://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00088&languageid=en-fr

Furthermore, Samsung IS AWARE of this CPU security issue and the need for a BIOS firmware update, including for the NP940X5N-X01US. That model is listed on this page with a bunch of other models, on which users are directed to "apply the following firmware...": https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00078832/

But there is one very large issue: the Release Date for ALL the downloads are TBD. It's been over four months since this issue became common knowledge. All the other major computer manufacturers (HP, Dell, etc.) have already taken the Intel microcode and updated their BIOS firmware. I know this for a fact because I own an HP and have installed the BIOS update that patches the Meltdown/Spectre issue.

When is Samsung going to release the BIOS firmware update for the NP940X5N-X01US to patch Meltdown/Spectre? (And please, don't insult my intelligence with the answer I've seen already in these forums, i.e. "Samsung is working closely with partners and will take necessary measures including a software patch if needed." Intel completed rolling out the microcode at the beginning of April and has since made it available to the world.)

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userKRlSdgTRWn
Asteroid

Re: When will Samsung update BIOS for NP940X5N-X01US to protect against Meltdown / Spectre?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes, I actually knew that (i.e. about P04AGQ) ... but it's difficult to download something that hadn't been released yet by Samsung. On the link in my original post, you'll noted all the BIOS updates were listed at "TBD."

However, after spending nearly two hours with different levels of help reps on Samsung Chat, I was successful in getting this issue elevated. And guess what? Just a bit more than a week later a BIOS update magically appeared today in the Samsung Update app.

After applying the patch update I confirmed with GRC InSpectre that my Notebook 9 Pro NP940X5N is now fully protected against Meltdown / Spectre. So yay! But honestly, it should not have taken my badgering various Samsung reps over the course of three months to do.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: When will Samsung update BIOS for NP940X5N-X01US to protect against Meltdown / Spectre?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The BIOS can be updated to P04AGQ.  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userKRlSdgTRWn
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes, I actually knew that (i.e. about P04AGQ) ... but it's difficult to download something that hadn't been released yet by Samsung. On the link in my original post, you'll noted all the BIOS updates were listed at "TBD."

However, after spending nearly two hours with different levels of help reps on Samsung Chat, I was successful in getting this issue elevated. And guess what? Just a bit more than a week later a BIOS update magically appeared today in the Samsung Update app.

After applying the patch update I confirmed with GRC InSpectre that my Notebook 9 Pro NP940X5N is now fully protected against Meltdown / Spectre. So yay! But honestly, it should not have taken my badgering various Samsung reps over the course of three months to do.

View solution in original post

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We understand the frustrations 100%

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

rippetoej
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So I see that my NP900X3L-K04US is not in that list and I have no BIOS update.  Since all processors are affected, why is there nothing being done for my model?

Samsung_qH2E7Hj
Astronaut

I'm sure if you notify a samsung tech they can put a note...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm sure if you notify a samsung tech they can put a note in to the developers of the patch to include your device but looking on the web I'm sure someone out there has found a way to fix your notebook I'm sure that's having the same issue