Original topic:

5G vanished from Network Access choices for my Samsung NP305E5A laptop

(Topic created: 07-07-2022 08:42 PM)
user3XoUENTtMI
Constellation
Options
Computers

2G still works.  The Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapte  r listed in Device Manager's Network Adapters show in the. Advanced tab as a first list 802.1b Preamble and a second item following it of ADhoc 11n.  I think it takes 802.1n for 5G.  I haven't found a driver that supplies that to my  limited knowledge.  Even the  Windows 10 variation of the Qualcom driver did not change the 802.1b nor change my access via the Network Access icon in the system tray.  Only my 2G account shows up.    I have tried a method to force a change of drivers but so far no change in access.  The router yet contains the info for the 5G account.  This laptop is running Windows 10 and does not accept the normal route to Windows 11.  Of course,  Device Manger  says the driver works because it is working for 2G.  The troubleshooting of the device has not restored the 5G.  I might try a system restore if I have it active and a point earlier this week.  My other laptop shows both 5G and 2G connections in the network.  Can anyone explain how I can recover my 5G connection?

0 Likes
1 Reply
user3XoUENTtMI
Constellation
Options
Computers

Oops.  This network adapter is not made to connect to 5G.  I would have to use a USB modems and configure it to take over that the inbuilt Network adapter was doing.  I thought the Samsung had been using 5G but my human memory failed.  I was recalling a now blown up Toshiba satellite doing so till its hard drive failed in a spectatular show of a monster growl and a screen display that would put the national fireworks event to shame.    So, all of my work to "fix" the adapter in the Samsung with some driver was totally useless.   I should have picked up on that all the necessary protocols for 5G were not present but give me a break, not many websites cover that detail.    At least I have posted that is was NOT my Samsung's fault that I couldn't get 5G.  Poor thing was lucky to upgrade to Windows 10 and is unlikely to visit Windows 11 as an incompatible.  At least it works in spite of my abusive attempts to make it do something it was not built to do.

Now, that that is sorted.  I will go back to making myself crazy trying to get my HP touchscreen back.  My choices have dwindled to a complete clean install of Windows 10 or seeing if a repair shop can find some malfunctioning connection.    I've tried EVERYTHING else.   I am not sure it is worth the money.  I may have to just live with it.

0 Likes