JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

870 qvo lost 4k performance

(Topic created: 03-26-2021 11:57 AM)
usergvAVnUFnqb
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have a new 870 qvo, that has 2.5 TBW on it, performance wise I used to get 560 MB read, 534 MB write and over 40,000 IOPS read and write 4k blocks. Something has happened to my 4k IOPS performance, it has been cut in half to about 20,000 IOPS, sequential read and write speeds are still the same.... Any help, as to why my 4k performance has been cut in half,  would be greatly appreciated...

0 Likes
4 Replies
ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

How much free space is left on the drive?  10% free is preferred as internal workspace for the drive.  As the drive fills up IOPS will decline from what it was fresh.

usergvAVnUFnqb
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Drive has 43% free space, I even tried to over provision it, still iops cut in half...

0 Likes
Solution
ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

What type of computer is this installed in?  Do you close all other  apps when doing performance testing?

From the IOPS Wiki: While traditional HDDs have about the same IOPS for read and write operations, most NAND based  SSDs are much slower writing than reading due to the inability to rewrite directly into a previously written location forcing a procedure called garbage collection.

If you want your 40,000 IOPS back then completely erase/zero the drive and start over.  As the drive blocks are written to the IOPS will gradually drop again.

usergvAVnUFnqb
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

The drive has been written to almost 3X the capacity(4k60fps video editing and gaming) Interestingly though I have noticed no issues with computer performance. I guess when I get remotely close to a HDD performance,  I will wipe....Still fast!! now....

0 Likes