Original topic:

Chromebook 4 + security cable

(Topic created: 09-24-2020 08:54 AM)
userZHeJKtrDJp
Asteroid
Options
Computers

Hello,

I have a Samsung Chromebook 4 + (XE350XBA-K01US) but cannot find information on which security cable lock will fit the security slot.

I have tried a really old Kensington T-bar lock as well as one of the newer ones (Kensington K64673AM) but both are too large to fit the security slot.

Can anyone share which cable lock will fit this security slot?

Thanks!

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
userZHeJKtrDJp
Asteroid
Options
Computers

After trying three different cable locks, I finally found the one that fits the security slot. I'm sharing this here as I'm sure someone someday will also be googling for the correct answer.

The Samsung Chromebook 4 + (XE350XBA-K01US) has a Kensington Nano Security Slot for which the Kensington Nanosaver (K63330WW) or other Nano-sized security cable will fit.

One thing I found curious is you have to insert the lock bolt, disengaged, initially at a 45 degree angle to get one side in before you can then angle the lock to parallel and release the bolt so it can engage the security slot.

IMO, re-engineering the security slot size by a mere millimeter or two, even in the tight confines of laptop and tablet design, is utterly ridiculous and more about making a new system requirement to force mass purchase of new security cables so people can't simply use the same ones they've had for over a decade. Although the wedge bolt is a smart change for the locking head, forcing a millimeter or two of difference for the slot is capricious and greedy.

View solution in context

0 Likes
2 Replies
Solution
userZHeJKtrDJp
Asteroid
Options
Computers

After trying three different cable locks, I finally found the one that fits the security slot. I'm sharing this here as I'm sure someone someday will also be googling for the correct answer.

The Samsung Chromebook 4 + (XE350XBA-K01US) has a Kensington Nano Security Slot for which the Kensington Nanosaver (K63330WW) or other Nano-sized security cable will fit.

One thing I found curious is you have to insert the lock bolt, disengaged, initially at a 45 degree angle to get one side in before you can then angle the lock to parallel and release the bolt so it can engage the security slot.

IMO, re-engineering the security slot size by a mere millimeter or two, even in the tight confines of laptop and tablet design, is utterly ridiculous and more about making a new system requirement to force mass purchase of new security cables so people can't simply use the same ones they've had for over a decade. Although the wedge bolt is a smart change for the locking head, forcing a millimeter or two of difference for the slot is capricious and greedy.

0 Likes
latincoffee
Constellation
Options
Computers

Thanks for this as I have a security lock and may have to get another for my Chromebook 4.

0 Likes