JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Chromebook Galaxy Cursor Locks up

(Topic created: 02-17-2021 07:51 PM)
user5sKXL3OjqP
Constellation
Options
Computers

I've seen this problem listed as a touchpad problem, but the thread is locked as solved. I cannot resolve this problem from that thread.

The machine will run from 3 minutes to 4 days without the cursor stopping on the screen and then jumping around wildly. The instructions to "Fix" this is one of the following:

Reboot or drum the touchpad or powerwash. The reboot works, but is an unacceptable solution when it happens 5 time in a row.

I've sent the machine in for repair and they changed the motherboard. Upon receipt, it failed within 10 minutes.

There is one comment about updating a driver but I cannot find any downloads or instructions how to accomplish that. I believe this is the solution. My observation leads me to this conclusion because:

Upon failure, I've closed the computer and let it sit for a few minutes and when opening it, the cursor is restored. This seems more like a time out rather than a hardware problem. I suggest that the driver has a race condition that steals the CPU cycles until the drivers normal function is restored.

I hope this helps because this is a beautiful machine that is frustration the heck out of me.

Thanks.   

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
user5sKXL3OjqP
Constellation
Options
Computers

This is the third time I've responded to this thread. I wrote the original and have the answer is to send it in for repairs. They replaced the motherboard and the touchpad. It now works great. I hope this one finds its way to the board and helps.

View solution in context

13 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Computers

I am sorry to hear about this. Please send the full model and serial numbers to this PM Link.

0 Likes
user2gpap1yKKJ
Asteroid
Options
Computers

I started to have the same problem a few days ago. couldnt recall how many times I have rebooted my galaxy chromebook pro the past few days. do we have a fix now? 

userzXG6Tn2VpM
Constellation
Options
Computers

I also have this same problem! I sent a PM to @Anonymous per the instructions in that other thread roughly three weeks ago and haven't received a response. I sent another PM this morning. Please help as this is my only personal computing device and this issue significantly impacts my productivity. I've tried rebooting and Powerwashing multiple times without success. It always comes back.

userBvhpv8YjPT
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers

I also have this problem.  It is not due to overheating (which is another problem on this unit due to the Play Store).  I removed the Play Store and the overheating has stopped yet this problem is persistent.

With the new model out and too much experience with Samsung products, I can guarantee we will never get a fix for this problem.  For Samsung, poorly made products is simply "the cost of doing business."

userf5nN3LVU3e
Constellation
Options
Computers

We had a " sticky" touchpad and overheating issue with our Chromebook. We purchased a laptop cooling pad with fan, which resolved the overheating and touchpad issue. I hope this helps. 

0 Likes
lady49r
Asteroid
Options
Computers

Hi,

I also have the same problem with my 4 month old Galaxy Chromebook.  It may work for a day or it will continue to become erratic throughout the day with me either rebooting or just leaving it alone for 30 minutes or more.  I even have a video showing the pointer moving by itself all over the place from the log in screen.

My laptop has yet to overheat on me, but it does get pretty warm at times.  When it heats up it doesn't seem to trigger the touchpad issue on mine.  Just seems to be completely random.

If there is a permanent resolution, please include me in those needing one.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Computers

Have you tried a powerwash or a restore on your Chromebook?

0 Likes
lady49r
Asteroid
Options
Computers

I've powerwashed, but that does not resolve the problem

lady49r
Asteroid
Options
Computers

Requesting help again.  I have powerwashed, done a restore and this problem persists.

My touchpad/cursor stops working, and on some occasions becomes possessed and starts clicking stuff randomly on the screen.

Can you  please help with this problem?  My chromebook has become useless to me as I can only use it for 5 mintues or so at a time.