Original topic:

Galaxy Book 12 went Dead suddenly when I unplug the USB Charging cable

(Topic created: 04-21-2022 10:18 AM)
userpSM1ybgWTf
Asteroid
Options
Computers

Hi,  I own a Samsung Galaxy Book 12 (SM-W728VQ with Verizon Cellular), and I bought it brand new since it was launched.  I been taking care of this Tablet, and the battery hold charge fine and still last me a day of use per charge.

Yesterday, I was using it at home, and when I unplug the USB Charging cable, The computer screen went black/blank... Then I realized it is OFF.   I tried to turn it on by holding the ON button till the LED turn solid Blue, but nothing appears on the Screen.

I plug the USB charging cable back, and the LED is blinking Red slowly.

I researched online and tried these 2 mentions:

>> 1) Press and hold the ON button for 10 seconds:
As I hold the ON button, the Blue LED turns Solid, then went off.   the LED will stay off as long as I am holding the ON Button.  (I tried this multiple time with no success.  I also tried holding it for up to 2 minutes.  Still nothing.)

>> 2) Press and Hold the ON & Vol Down Buttons for 30 seconds:  Same results as method 1.  I also tried this with over 2 minutes, still nothing.

So basically now (ALL OF A SUDDEN from a perfectly working computer)... the computer will not turn ON, and if I try to charge it, the LED is blinking RED...  (I assume this means not charging??)   I had Thinkpads, Dell, Asus laptop and PCs... and NEVER have this happened before.  Just dead... 

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  I paid well over $1400!

13 Replies
userpSM1ybgWTf
Asteroid
Options
Computers

Hi everyone, 

I was discussing my issue with one of my Google Engineer Friend, and he said one of his Android Tablet (not windows PC) hits similar situation, and they have a special "Reset" button code that services/technicians can press to get into BIOS and/or reset the motherboard of the tablet.  

I think similar to what is common on the internet regarding the Galaxy Book 12:
>> 1) Press and hold the ON button for 10 seconds
>> 2) Press and Hold the ON & Vol Down Buttons for 30 seconds

I wonder, other than #1 and #2 methods I tried above, is there any other method out there I should try to "RESET" this computer?   I wish I can just pull the battery, as I am pretty sure that will fix this issue.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!  Thank you!

0 Likes
userVEIyueQYZf
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers

I am surprised that you did not replace the battery before, I used mine for 3 years and replaced the battery twice. I can't imagine how harmful are these phones to the environment, because it is very hard to recycle lithium batteries. I did not know where to throw all the lithium I have but thank god I found southampton bin collections take and they take rubbish from my home and recycle it properly.

0 Likes
userpSM1ybgWTf
Asteroid
Options
Computers

I built custom Lifepo4 and Lion Battery packs for my solar system and RV.

So i did alot of research and experience on them, and honestly, not sure if its corporate conspiracy or mis-understanding on Lithum battery.

They have no memory effect, and charging wont degrade its quality.   BUT... And big BUT...

Lifepo4 or lithium ion cell both at different voltage, but example, lifepo4 cell voltage operates at 3.4, while max charging/charged voltage at 3.65volt.   and the cell's chemistry will degrade when voltage reaches around ~3.40+ volts....   

I wont keep going on with the details, simply put, the longevity of the lithum ion or lifepo4, can be determined by the voltage state the battery kept most of the time.   The longevity of the battery CAN achieve 10X longer, if battery stop charging at 80-85%. And if wanted to extend the longevity even more, don't deplete the battery below 20%.

This is NOT MYTH, or secrets.... But FACTs, Statistic by researcher and scienctists.    Numbers Do NOT lie.

And the latest Android Samsung Phone, even include a feature that allows users to stop phone charging at 85%.   Which will extend the quality of the battery by 2-3x!!   I am surprised big manufacturers FINALLY adopt this!!!   Windows still havent!!

I just bought a new Samsung S22 Ultra, and my las phone is S8+, (5yrs ago). Yet the S8+ battery life still Barely laste me a day of use....   Consider most people "thinks" battery only last 2yrs top!

And if anyone tells you otherwise....   Look at TESLA EV.... 10yrs ago Tesla Model S with 150K miles..,. Their battery storage still able to retain 90%!

So...   I know mine is not a battery failure, because the day before it died.... Its battery lasted me full 6.5hrs usage and went unto hibernation at 2%.    But when I UNPLUG a USB cable, the laptop seems like a surge and went dead.   

But anyway, it is what it is.   Its dead and I am very disappointed with Samsung flagship products.

0 Likes
userpSM1ybgWTf
Asteroid
Options
Computers

I waited too long and the tablet still does not startup  (Nothing on LCD, nothing, only response is the Blue or Red LED).... so I give it a shot and successfully opened the galaxy book 12.  LCD Screen and glass all intact with no damage. 

Unfortunately, the computer still DEAD after I Tried disconnecting the battery, also tried a working battery  but still doesn't work.  So as I was expected earlier, the cause is not a BAD battery but rather something caused the hardware or BIOS to crash.... My only option now is to just let it sit for few days and see if it will reset itself from internal charge or something.

If it still doesn't work, and actually a hardware failure, this will seriously put me in DOUBTS about Samsung Quality, consider this is a FLAGSHIP product.  This will be my 1st time in 25+ years of using laptop and Desktop, that it actually DIED because of hardware failure, rather than totally outdated and I recycled them.  My Pentium 4 Thinkpad and Pentium DUO core PC still working perfectly!.... this is sad!

0 Likes