Original topic:

Galaxy Book 12 went Dead suddenly when I unplug the USB Charging cable

(Topic created: 03-08-2022 10:24 PM)
userpSM1ybgWTf
Asteroid
Options
Computers

Hi,  I own a Samsung Galaxy Book 12 (SM-W728VQ with Verizon Cellular), and I bought it brand new since it was launched.  I been taking care of this Tablet, and the battery hold charge fine and still last me a day of use per charge.

Yesterday, I was using it at home, and when I unplug the USB Charging cable, The computer screen went black/blank... Then I realized it is OFF.   I tried to turn it on by holding the ON button till the LED turn solid Blue, but nothing appears on the Screen.

I plug the USB charging cable back, and the LED is blinking Red slowly.

I researched online and tried these 2 mentions:

>> 1) Press and hold the ON button for 10 seconds:
As I hold the ON button, the Blue LED turns Solid, then went off.   the LED will stay off as long as I am holding the ON Button.  (I tried this multiple time with no success.  I also tried holding it for up to 2 minutes.  Still nothing.)

>> 2) Press and Hold the ON & Vol Down Buttons for 30 seconds:  Same results as method 1.  I also tried this with over 2 minutes, still nothing.

So basically now (ALL OF A SUDDEN from a perfectly working computer)... the computer will not turn ON, and if I try to charge it, the LED is blinking RED...  (I assume this means not charging??)   I had Thinkpads, Dell, Asus laptop and PCs... and NEVER have this happened before.  Just dead... 

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  I paid well over $1400!

13 Replies
KingZion214Smith
Astronaut
Options
Computers
I'm not quite sure what's actually going on but I've encountered the same scenario. I'll do my best to Resolve this issue ASAP. MY apologies and I'll get back with you soon thank you!
userpSM1ybgWTf
Asteroid
Options
Computers

Thank you!   Cannot wait to hear from you again!   Greatly appreciated!!  

0 Likes
userpSM1ybgWTf
Asteroid
Options
Computers

Hi KingZion214Smith, wondering if you made any progress or updates on yours?

I been leaving it unplugged for few days, and try to power it up without any luck.

Also tried having it plugged in for few days, same thing.

0 Likes
LongHiker
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Computers

@userpSM1ybgWTf Have you ever replaced the battery?

It looks like that was released in 2017. 

userpSM1ybgWTf
Asteroid
Options
Computers

Hi, the Galaxy Book 12 is still using original Battery.   I always unplug the tablet once it is charged to 100%, never let the charger plug in over night .  Also It is not my main computer, so I only use it when I go out to starbucks, so the battery condition is still excellent.  As I mentioned above, each charge, can still last me 6+hrs last week when I went out.  So, the computer working perfectly fine, and this incident happened.  Just went dead.

Honestly, in my experience in using flagship electronics, like Sony, Samsung, Thinkpad....  they never just died completely like that suddenly from normal (taken care of) usage.    If this cannot be fixed, I will be very disappointed with Samsung Quality.

0 Likes
LongHiker
Options
Computers

@userpSM1ybgWTf LiIon batteries have limited lifespan. Typical life span for a LiIon battery is 3 years or less. The odds are extremely high that a 5 year old LiIon battery is dead. 

0 Likes
userpSM1ybgWTf
Asteroid
Options
Computers

A typical Lithium battery have a limited lifespan, correct, but not solely measured by "time".  I am an computer engineer, and a lithium battery lifespan is calculated by many factor, and mostly are by the charge state of each cell voltage stay at... (meaning, are the battery constantly charged at 100%, which shortening their charge cycle to 500-600 times...  VS up to 3000 charge cycle if kept at around 80-80% SOC)

And if you read my original post, I clearly stated the battery has been working great for my right before it went DEAD suddenly.   Only Few Days ago - a fully charged battery lasted my table 6+ hrs of continuous usage, and it went into hiberation at 5%.  (not went dead at ~20% = bad battery)  ...  So if it is a "Bad Battery" like you said, it works 1 minutes ago, then DEAD....  it won't even charge, or LCD blinks or anything... just Nothing!!

To your comment, you simply telling me that it's is 5yrs old, and it suppose to be dead, so just buy a new computer?   As a computer engineer, I have about 11 computers at home.  2 New (1-2yrs old) for myself and my wife, and my oldest is a 1st Generation Core-i7 PC built custom.  Still running strong as a VPN server....   My 2nd oldest is a ASUS Ultrabook Laptop (8yrs old), battery still can last about 1hr when blackout happens!   If your comments means anything, it simply means, Samsung Laptop Quality if below Bar!

0 Likes
LongHiker
Options
Computers

@userpSM1ybgWTf Since I am an electrical engineer, we could debate this topic for quite a while. The bottom line is that you should take it to Bestbuy, or another trusted repair center, and have them do some diagnostics. The scenario you describe is a classic dead battery. 

I never suggested getting a new computer, simply replacing the battery. 

userpSM1ybgWTf
Asteroid
Options
Computers

I agreed in your perspective.  But since I am the sole and long term user of this tablet, and what triggers it, I really... really Doubt its because the battery is dead.    

From what happened, it seems like it might be some sort of electrical short or shock when I unplug the USB Cable, that cause the tablet to go DEAD....  The USB cable that it is plugged into & unplug, I had that cable plug into my Samsung Note 20 for transferring data...  I restarted my phone, when the phone restarts and just boots up, I unplug the USB cable, and the tablet went dead!     

This is the very details of what happened that moment.

0 Likes