JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Is the Samsung DP500A2D- A02UB is a "UEFI v2.0+ compliant PC" ?

(Topic created on: 3/11/20 10:09 PM)
userJtutsNokaE
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers

I am trying to help a disabled friend who has a Samsung DP500A2D- A02UB (specs here). His hard drive died and I put a new SSD in it. And I want to download and install Windows 8 onto the new SSD. According to Samsung their PCs with Windows 8 or later have the Windows Product Key in the motherboard/firmware.

Based on advice I got from a Windows forum, I need to know if I should install via UEFI or BIOS. Apparently I can only install via UEFI if I have "a UEFI v2.0+ compliant PC. Check your chipset manufacturer/firmware documentation," see How to Install Windows 8 .... using the .. UEFI​ . But I looked and cannot readily find this information on the internet or the Samsung website.

QUESTION: Can anybody tell me how to determine if the Samsung DP500A2D- A02UB is a "UEFI v2.0+ compliant PC"?

Thanks,

B.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
userJtutsNokaE
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers

Hello everybody,

I installed Windows 8.1 on the new hard drive that I had put into the PC and everything went fine. The Windows Product key was read automatically from the motherboard during the installation process, I did not have to enter it manually, even though I was able to recover it using an Ubuntu Terminal command using a live boot Ubuntu session with a thumb drive. Windows 8.1 was installed using the UEFI, so the PC was UEFI compliant. I used the info at this page

"Create installation media for Windows 8.1"

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

And here:  This will not work to install Windows 8 or 8.1 for UEFI. For that, see this tutorial below instead.

UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows
I used the downloadable program rufus to make a Windows 8 bootable thumbdrive.
I will mark this as SOLVED.

Thanks,
B.

View solution in context

0 Likes
8 Replies
SamsungLarry
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Computers

Thanks for reaching out. I do not believe the chipset on this pc to be UEFI compliant. Although you do have two options. You can request a replacement product key or you can purchase a new copy of Windows 8.1 from a retailer like Amazon, which will, of course, come with a new and valid product key.

Requesting a replacement Windows 8 product key is going to be much more cost-effective than buying an entirely new copy of Windows 8, but you may have to do that if the replacement doesn't work out.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userJtutsNokaE
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers

Larry,

Thanks for your response. Samsung says that their Windows 8 PCs have the Windows 8 Product key on the firmware (see info below from Samsung webpage). Do you have any comments about this?

I really, of course, do not want to purchase a new key or operating system if I can avoid it. The page at this Samsung link

says:

Windows 8 and 10

The product key is embedded in to the firmware of the device at the time of manufacture, and will not need to be manually entered.

If you upgraded from an older version of windows, the product key is linked with your Microsoft account. If you purchased a retail copy, the key will also be included in the box.

Thanks,

B.

0 Likes
SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Computers

The product key should have been registered with Microsoft when the computer was activated. Samsung does not keep these keys, so you will need to contact Microsoft support for assistance.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userJtutsNokaE
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers

Thanks for your response Lou. The page at this link

gives more information on the Product Key (see below under my initial), including ways to figure out what the product key is if the product key is burned into the motherboard. These ways include software programs that find the key. You can also look in the confirmation purchase email, and look in the retail box. Or perhaps call Microsoft, as you suggested.

QUESTION(S): Have you or anybody else used any of the software programs to determine (or find) the product key in the UEFI?

Any further comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,

B.

The page at the link above states:

The 25 character Product Key is used to "prove" ownership of a legitimate license and is required to perform the installation to activate Windows with.

CONTENTS:

• Option One: Find Windows 8 and 8.1 Product Key from Online Purchase Confirmation Email
  • Option Two: Find Windows 8 and 8.1 Product Key in Retail Box
  • Option Three: Find Windows 8 and 8.1 Product Key with "Belarc Advisor"
  • Option Four: Find Windows 8 and 8.1 Product Key with "ProduKey"
  • Option Five: Find Retail and OEM Windows 8 and 8.1 Product Key with "ShowKey" Script
  • Option Six: Find Retail and OEM Windows 8 and 8.1 Product Key with "ShowKeyPlus" program
  • Option Seven: Find OEM Windows 8 and 8.1 Product Key from UEFI with Command Prompt
  • Option Eight: Find OEM Windows 8 and 8.1 Product Key with "Windows OEM Product Key Tool"
0 Likes
SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Computers

I have only ever needed to use the Windows OEM Product Key Tool or the command prompt method to recover a product key. The PC was released with Windows *, so it would be UEFI compliant at manufacture. Whether it has been updated to 2.0 protocols would depend on whether the user ever updated the UEFI.

0 Likes
userJtutsNokaE
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers

Lou,

Thanks again for your reply. I am getting my questions answered. I have a livebootable form of Linux/Ubuntu (with persistence) on a thumb drive in one of the PC's usb ports. And I have managed to get info from the motherboard, including the product key. All the motherboard info can be obtained using the terminal command dmidecode, see BIOS information below, release date was 8/2013, long after version 2 UEFI was released in 2006. There is another terminal command ( sudo strings /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/MSDM) in Ubuntu that allows the Windows product key to be recovered from the motherboard, see link

Thanks,

B.

BIOS Information

Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.

Version: P08KRM.060.130812.JJ

Release Date: 08/12/2013

Address: 0xF0000

Runtime Size: 64 kB

ROM Size: 2560 kB

Characteristics:

PCI is supported

BIOS is upgradeable

BIOS shadowing is allowed

Boot from CD is supported

Selectable boot is supported

BIOS ROM is socketed

EDD is supported

5.25"/1.2 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)

3.5"/720 kB floppy services are supported (int 13h)

3.5"/2.88 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)

Print screen service is supported (int 5h)

8042 keyboard services are supported (int 9h)

Serial services are supported (int 14h)

Printer services are supported (int 17h)

ACPI is supported

USB legacy is supported

BIOS boot specification is supported

Targeted content distribution is supported

UEFI is supported

BIOS Revision: 4.6

0 Likes
userJtutsNokaE
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers

Larry,

Thanks again for your reply. You say, "I do not think that the chipset on this pc to be UEFI compliant." I am sure you know more than I do about this. But I am going to give evidence that this PC has an UEFI. Specifically I am attaching pictures of boot up and BIOS/DOS type screens for my friend's PC that have the word UEFI in prominent places.

Picture 1 shows selection options for boot devices. The first option (at the top of the list) is "UEFI: Sandisk." I am presently using a Sandisk thumb drive with a persistent live bootable form of Linux (Xubuntu) on it as a temporary bridge until we can get Windows 8 back on to the Solid State Drive (the Samsung 860 EVO 250GB that is showing as P0 on the list.

Picture 2 shows the next screen with various options to boot into if the initial selection made above is the first option (at the top of the list), "UEFI: Sandisk" is chosen.

Picture 3 shows a DOS type screenshot of the Samsung BIOS Boot Configuration tab that shows Secure Boot as disabled and OS Mode Selection as "[UEFI and CSM OS]."

Picture 4 is a wider further back uncropped shot of the same screen as Picture 3.

Because of these things I am inclined to think that this PC may be UEFI compliant. But I do not know if this would mean "UEFI v2.0+ compliant."

QUESTION(S): Given this new info, do you (or anybody else) have an opinion as to whethe or not this PC is UEFI compliant and if it is or might be UEFI v2.0+ compliant?

Thanks,

B.

Picture 1Picture 1Picture2Picture2Picture3Picture3Picture4Picture4

0 Likes
Solution
userJtutsNokaE
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers

Hello everybody,

I installed Windows 8.1 on the new hard drive that I had put into the PC and everything went fine. The Windows Product key was read automatically from the motherboard during the installation process, I did not have to enter it manually, even though I was able to recover it using an Ubuntu Terminal command using a live boot Ubuntu session with a thumb drive. Windows 8.1 was installed using the UEFI, so the PC was UEFI compliant. I used the info at this page

"Create installation media for Windows 8.1"

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

And here:  This will not work to install Windows 8 or 8.1 for UEFI. For that, see this tutorial below instead.

UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows
I used the downloadable program rufus to make a Windows 8 bootable thumbdrive.
I will mark this as SOLVED.

Thanks,
B.

View solution in context

0 Likes