JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Laptop has to start Windows twice everytime

(Topic created on: 12/9/20 9:51 AM)
WoodyFromBama
Asteroid
Options
Computers

I have an old Samsung RF510 laptop running Windows 10. The first time it boots it gets as far as the Windows 10 logo but just stays there - no rotating loading "wheel".  It is stuck and will go no further, no matter how long I wait.  Then I turn the power off followed by turning it back on. This second attempt always works. This happens just like this every time - two attemps to start, first hangs, second successful. 

i saw several posts that described the exact same symptom and were fixed by turning off the fast start option in the Power Options settings section. Mine was selected but unselecting it made no difference whatsoever. 

What is different between the first boot/start and the second one? 

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be?

0 Likes
3 Replies
SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Computers

This could be any number of things. You will want to make certain that all of the Windows and Samsung Updates are current. You may want to run a disk scan to check for any errors. Before looking into a hardware issue, you should also back up your data, and run a clean Windows installation as well.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
Solution
WoodyFromBama
Asteroid
Options
Computers

Hi and thanks for the info and suggestions.  Turns out this is/was a well known problem when upgrading this line of laptops to Win 10.  The Broadcom Wi-Fi/BT card is simply incompatible and no driver will make it work.  In fact, just having it plugged in causes all sorts of other problems.  The only fix is to either remove the card and use an external Wi-Fi adapter or to replace it with one like the Atheros AR5B225 Mini PCIe WiFi Combo Card - 802.11 b/g/n + Bluetooth 4.0. 

Thanks again,

Howard

View solution in context

0 Likes
SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Computers

You are most welcome.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes