JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

M7 Smart Monitor 32m70a USB-c issue

(Topic created: 01-15-2021 04:19 AM)
Tomv77
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Today I received my new m7 smart monitor. Very glad with the monitor and it's smart features. Whilst installing and using the smart apps it works very well.

After a software update I connected the monitor using supplied hdmi cable. That worked very well using ; hp elitbook 820, windows 10, 8bit, 60Hz. But that's not the way I would like to connect it, so I tried the usb-c  connection. Without a supplied usb-c cable I grabbed an usb cable from my MacBook and an Amazon standard usb-c cable. Using each cable connected to the USB-hub with mouse and keyboard connected to it and charged the laptop (HP and MacBook). But there was no way to get it to register as a display in windows 10 or OSX bigsur. Both cables seem to work using other usb-c monitors and devices. Tried unplugging all usb pheriperals but it doesn't seem to differ, the source icon changes and has a checkmark and red sign, suggesting it should work. Tried all different settings in windows and OS X.

is anyone else experiencing this? And if so how did you solve this problem ? Will a reset work? Is it a setting Some where? Help! I wouldn't like to send it back, this is the perfect device for my home office and bedroom.

grts Tom 

18 Replies
useroF0TBTkZck
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have the same issue. I have a Macbook Pro 16'' 2019 model and recently purchased the new M7 monitor. If i use a HDMI cable the screen does work but its capped at 30hz. So i tried out connecting it with an USB-C cable which was provided with my macbook. But it only charges the macbook through the screen. it does not show any visual. 

I contacted Apple and they told me that the provided USB-C cable that comes with the mac is not optimised to work with external monitors. They suggest me to order a Thunderbold-3 USB type C cable and try that out. 

Will order and see if that solves the issue.

0 Likes
Solution
Tomv77
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi, 

i fixed it here. Ordered a brand name certified USB-C 3.1 gen 2 cable from amazon. That did the trick. Whilst it now is working i have not tried connection my pheriperals trough the monitor. (to bussy). To bad the monitor can only handle 30Hz using USB-C, but the smart features outweigh that "shortcoming" for me.  Didn't try the macbook, but will probably work aswell. 

I got the 60Hz to work using HDMI using a setting in the menu somewhere (settings general, external devices,  input signal extra, (translated from dutch). obviously it works smoother then. But for office purposes the USB-C will be oke for me. For gaming i would switch tot the HDMI at 60Hz. 

useroF0TBTkZck
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Im still waiting for my cables to arrive today. But i was curious how you know that this monitor only supports 30Hz using USB-C? I went through all the specs but could not find anything about it.

I have it currently connected through HDMI and an HDMI > USB-C adepter in my macbook but im still stuck at 30Hz. Hope its caused by the adapter and that the new cables can solve this issue for me.

0 Likes
Tomv77
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi, i had a hardtime finding the specs. Then i googeld the manual for the smart monitors and the M5 and M7 have the same manual. It was then i read the usb-c is only 30Hz at UHD.

i have a HP thunderbolt dock conncected to my HP elitebook. From the dock i use displyport to HDMI kabel, that supports the 60Hz. HDMI on my elitebook doens't deliver the 30Hz, or at least i couldn't get it to work. 

0 Likes
userpFL6AoT2Is
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi hijacking the thread a little 

Hi quick question- I have my peripherals (mouse, keyboard,webcam) connected to the USBA sockets on the screen. They work fine with the monitor smart features but do little when the monitor is connected by usbc 3.1 over a gen 2 cable to a laptop. It feels as if as if the screen’s usb hub functionality isn’t there and had mixed answers from Samsung support. Is that your experience too? Peripherals and cable work fine on a LG usbc monitor I have

Tomv77
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Same issue here, can’t use the usb-a connectors for use with usb-c connected monitor. I think this is an omission in the firmware. Clearly this product is rushed to market, when u press the wrong buttons u get “turn-off tv”. 

userhYAvn4GY9V
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have been using my new screen on HDMI for 2 days which is pretty good / airplay is terrible (almost pointless) .    My new thunderbolt usb-c 4 from cablematters arrived this morning - intel certified for up and down between 3.1 and 4 - and I was excited to see if USB-C worked better - as that is why I bought this - huge disappointment - it charged but gave no picture.  An hour wasted on the phone and on live chat  in parallel with Samsung tech support resulted in both of them telling me to replace the monitor.  No one there seemed to have a clue about anything much to do with USB 4 vs 3.1 2 vs below.  I am going to try the Nimaso cable and see if that works - if not back it goes.  It's a shame really as even with the limited light capability if USB worked it would be a great screen at a fair price point for some TV and mainly work.  I really wanted this to work, it's such a shame the usb-c is so buggy and that they don't have anyone who actually is technical in their technical support......I decided on this as the 4k Dell and HP at this price point were out of stock in the UK and not coming back leaving only their very expensive new line available.  If Samsung would bring a software update to fix the bugginess I might keep it if the new lead works......

0 Likes
userxACLtBHloJ
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I wasted hours trying to get my brand new S37AM70 (LS32AM702UNXZAR) M7 series monitor to sync over USB-C with my MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) running Big Sur. I was able to get it to sync at 60 Hz and full resolution over HDMI using Apple's grossly overpriced USB-C to HDMI adapter, but I need to use that in another location.

Finally I called Samsung and wasted another couple of hours while they went through the troubleshooting steps I'd already done, and insisted that I reset the monitor and set it up all over again. Ultimately they told me it was a cable issue, and they'd send me a new cable of the same model (this after I'd told them that our iPad Pro synced to the monitor over USB-C using said cable, so it seemed unlikely that the cable was defective!). 

Needless to say, the replacement cable they sent me (with the same model number, BN39-02259B) didn't work either. Finally I figured out the solution (alluded to by Asteroid here, who found that he could get it to work using an Amazon USB cable at 30 Hz, but without any specifics as to how to switch to 30 Hz on a Mac).

The following procedure worked for me with both of the Samsung USB-C cables.

After connecting the Mac to the monitor via the USB-C cable:

1. On the monitor, navigate to Settings/General/External Device Manager/Input Signal Plus. Enable Input Signal Plus for both HDMI1 and HDM12 inputs - this may be required to use HDMI at  60 Hz (3840 x 2160p), as per the manual (otherwise, HDMI may default to 30 Hz). 

2. Navigate to Source/Connection Guide/PC/USB-C. Go through the steps and close.

3. On the Mac, open System Preferences/Displays. Click the "Gather Windows" button at the bottom of the Displays preferences pane. (If this button is not there, the Mac does not recognize the USB-C connection at all, so there is likely a problem with your cable, USB-C port, or monitor, and this solution won't work for you).  

A "SAMSUNG" Display window should then appear (mostly hidden behind your "Built-in Retinal Display" window). Drag it into full view. If the "Display" tab is not active, click it. Next to "Resolution:" the "Default for Display" button will likely be checked. 

4. HOLDING DOWN THE Option KEY, click the "Scaled" button just below it. 

5. Click the "Show low resolution modes" checkbox below the auto-scrolling field displaying the supposedly available resolution settings. If a "Refresh Rate" popdown menu doesn't appear below the "Rotation" popdown menu, click one of the resolutions with "(low resolution)" appended after it. The "Refresh Rate" popdown should then appear. 

6. Select "30 Hz" as the refresh rate. If you have "3840 x 2160" as the resolution, your monitor should now sync at that resolution, and if not, switching to it should work. 

I couldn't get any of the resolutions to work at 50 or 60 Hz. Interestingly, only at 1280 x 720, and 2560 x 1440 (low resolution), in addition to 60 Hz, a refresh rate option of 59.88 Hz appeared on the popdown menu, and was usable, but not very appealing. 

Perhaps this will help some other frustrated Mac users. Regardless, I hope that Samsung will provide a firmware update that will permit syncing via USB-C at full resolution @ 60 Hz.

useryJrmK4Yovc
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi Tom,

I got a similar issue here, and since I'm also in the Netherlands I was curious which usb c cable worked for you? Any specific brand? I'm facing the same issue you describe (except for me my laptop won't even charge) - so if you can point me to a working cable that would be great, I'm trying to exclude that the usb c ports aren't incompatible or defective on either of my devices 🙂 

Best,

Maarten

0 Likes